Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Thunderbolt rain line (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1132203-thunderbolt-rain-line.html)

dgrobs 03-05-2019 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by erko1905 (Post 15682939)
I'll be there this weekend as well - I was more concerned about the temps to be honest, but it's too late now as it snowed the day I thought I could put the Toyos back on, so with the tires I'm taking there, I'll likely be the fastest guy if it snows.

Didn’t see you on the roster. When did you register ?

The boy 03-05-2019 09:06 PM

In my experience jersey drys quickly compared to a lot of other tracks I've been to and unless you are getting a long period of rain I usually say on dry tires.

Here is the last time I was there in the rain in 2016. It poured down for about 15-20mins then stopped before our race and decided to stay on drys.

wmond 03-05-2019 09:42 PM

Just so I make sure I understand, you guys are going to be at NJMP this weekend, with weather in the mid 30s maybe, for a Chin DE, and at least Erko will be running snow tires? I find that I both respect and pity you in equal measure. Must be a challenge to find the right tire pressures at cold or slightly less cold. You, sirs, are nuts (and I say that with all due respect). Can’t wait for the post weekend pictures and a report. See y’all in spring.

Santi 03-05-2019 09:52 PM

Just saw emails from MSReg asking for instructors and offering a discount for drivers. I too think that this weekend might be a little too "ambitious" to get out there, hopefully it warms up and you guys have a blast. Pack a sweater or 4

Originally Posted by wmond (Post 15683196)
Just so I make sure I understand, you guys are going to be at NJMP this weekend, with weather in the mid 30s maybe, for a Chin DE, and at least Erko will be running snow tires? I find that I both respect and pity you in equal measure. Must be a challenge to find the right tire pressures at cold or slightly less cold. You, sirs, are nuts (and I say that with all due respect). Can’t wait for the post weekend pictures and a report. See y’all in spring.

dgrobs 03-05-2019 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by wmond (Post 15683196)

I’m running RE71R’s regardless of the weather. On a normal summer track day I start at 24 and end up at 33. Takes a lap to get some heat into them.
This weekend, I’m gonna start at 28 and see where they go. Don’t see it being a problem. Temps will get into the 50’s both days with sun on Saturday.
My little 981S is gonna love those cool temps.
Nothing crazy at all. Just gotta know when the tires are warmed up. Nothing crazy about it.
You get so much track time with Chin that pitting in for a few minutes to adjust pressures early on is not really even noticeable as lost track time.
Weekend is gonna be awesome. I just gotta dig my trailer out of the 5 foot high snow bank my plow guy put it in. No biggie.

DTMiller 03-05-2019 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Santi (Post 15683224)
Just saw emails from MSReg asking for instructors and offering a discount for drivers. I too think that this weekend might be a little too "ambitious" to get out there, hopefully it warms up and you guys have a blast. Pack a sweater or 4

Pretty sure those emails were for scda on lightning. Chin has a decent roster of instructors and drivers.

dgrobs 03-06-2019 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by DTMiller (Post 15683361)
Pretty sure those emails were for scda on lightning. Chin has a decent roster of instructors and drivers.

Got the same emails. It’s for lightning. The Chin Thunderbolt event looks pretty full. Lots of pent up demand. Looks like temps will get to 50+ both days. Sunday still looking 50/50 with the precip, but I’m hopeful.

ProCoach 03-06-2019 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S (Post 15682241)
With heavy rain and standing water T1 is a rim shot. Stay off the curbing everywhere. Stay half a car width of the T3 curbing and watch the potential river running across between T3 and T4. Stay a car width off T4 curbing. T5 is a rim shot. T9, the entry into the Octopus is a rim shot. Take T10 on the outside. Watch the river right as you go back on throttle coming out of T10. Stay off the curbing going through T11 a/b (the Esses). Stay one car width off the T12 apex.

NJMP has done a lot to improve drainage over the years and it has been better every single time I've been on track in the rain.

^^THIS^^

Jabs1542 03-06-2019 08:31 AM

So the temps at Lightening will be in the 30’s and at Thunderbolt it will be 50+. That’s amazing, I never knew NJMP was that large! :icon107:

dgrobs 03-06-2019 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jabs1542 (Post 15683887)
So the temps at Lightening will be in the 30’s and at Thunderbolt it will be 50+. That’s amazing, I never knew NJMP was that large! :icon107:

There’s a toxic waste dump under Thunderbolt that affects temperature and humidity. Stretches all the way to Finish Line Pub and ends right before T-1 at Lightning. Also the reason why Thunderbolt dries much quicker than Lightning after it rains. Also why Thunderbolt has more grip than Lightning. Those toxic gases rising up through the track surface really adds tons of traction. True facts.
My machine she’s a dud and I’m stuck in the mud, somewhere in the swamps if Jersey...

CrazyFast 03-06-2019 01:41 PM

Is anyone bringing Hoosiers or similar? I've got RE-71Rs on my OEM 20" wheels, and bought a used set of 19" wheels with R7s mounted. Was hoping to try the R7s out this weekend, but not sure if it will be warm enough.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Frank 993 C4S 03-06-2019 01:47 PM

I never run Hoosiers or any slick tire under 40/45 deg F. I have cracked them before below those temps. So it really depends on the temperatures.

dgrobs 03-06-2019 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyFast (Post 15684537)
Is anyone bringing Hoosiers or similar? I've got RE-71Rs on my OEM 20" wheels, and bought a used set of 19" wheels with R7s mounted. Was hoping to try the R7s out this weekend, but not sure if it will be warm enough.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I'm using RE71Rs this weekend at NJMP....

CrazyFast 03-06-2019 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by dgrobs (Post 15684563)
I'm using RE71Rs this weekend at NJMP....

... and that's why I need the R7's!

dgrobs 03-06-2019 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyFast (Post 15684630)
... and that's why I need the R7's!

WTF are you talking about? You kick my a$$ every lap. You setting me up or something ?