Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sebring Punt

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 11:52 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Ha even in race conditions that should never happen especially not DE . To ever avoid this PL would have had to brake early anticipating a total lack of judgement move by the other car . Once hes in the brake zone its to late to react except maybe go to grass. Other driver is not only 100% at fault but they need to made aware that even if this was a club race we leave racing room and the fact that this is DE it inexcusable

I think the learning curve is very steep in this case and maybe clouding good judgement
Old 02-25-2019, 11:52 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Why? I doubt the organization wanted to kill a well liked instructor.
Ha, good point
Old 02-26-2019, 06:40 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Interestingly, the major emphasis in Chin advanced group is the ability to pass or be passed in the corner without losing speed. If someone is reported enough for bad corner passes they can be demoted to lower group to work on it. As such, they talk about and teach this over and over again. And it works. They also allow passing in corners for every group but novice so you get a lot of experience.

In other groups that I have driven with this was either never allowed or only in the most advanced group so you never got to practice and when you did you were going a lot faster.

Passing in the corners in a DE takes cooperation and awareness of where other driver is.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:23 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Correct Thundermoose ^^^^

Also I noticed that with Chin track days that the drivers in the advanced solo groups have better situational awareness and anticipate point buys much much better than the guys in Suncoast PCA....especially the Suncoast PCA Black group. Again as I’ve mentioned before...last Saturday at Sebring Suncoast PCA Black Group that point buys were horrible, driving lines and braking erratic. Not all...but most. Many black group drivers totally ignoring approaching cars and refusing to give point buys anywhere near a turn. Glad I was moved Pink.

I do have video of Mike the OP of this thread giving 2 quick point buys to 2 cars...1 was me and maintains his line in his car through and out of T7. He knows how to drive and I’ve been on track with him many many times.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:40 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

Easy to Monday morning quarterback this. Yes, the GT3 driver was to blame here for a lack of situational awareness but the OP also needs to be aware that this is a DE environment and people's skill/comfort levels are going to be vastly disparate from the race environment.

In this situation, as the GT3 driver, I never would've taken that late pass. I would've just tucked in behind the SPB and waited until I had a better place to go by with more space. If I did take the pass, I would've stayed inside and made sure I got past the SPB cleanly.

As the SPB driver, when I noticed that the GT3 was taking a fairly late pass, I would've been off the gas and covering the brake early, in anticipation of the GT3 trying to take the line. That way if (when?) the GT3 did try and take the line, I could be on the brakes and avoid car to car contact. The "WTF?!" hand sign would've gone up and a discussion in the paddock with the CI and hopefully the GT3 driver would occur at the end of the session.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:44 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Interestingly, the major emphasis in Chin advanced group is the ability to pass or be passed in the corner without losing speed. If someone is reported enough for bad corner passes they can be demoted to lower group to work on it. As such, they talk about and teach this over and over again. And it works. They also allow passing in corners for every group but novice so you get a lot of experience.

In other groups that I have driven with this was either never allowed or only in the most advanced group so you never got to practice and when you did you were going a lot faster.

Passing in the corners in a DE takes cooperation and awareness of where other driver is.
This is why Chin Track Days are really, really good. Doubt you'd see this incident there, and if you did, the next view would be that GT3 headed over the Sunset Bend Bridge out of there!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-26-2019, 10:56 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
This is why Chin Track Days are really, really good. Doubt you'd see this incident there, and if you did, the next view would be that GT3 headed over the Sunset Bend Bridge out of there!
+1 This is stuff that gets worked on during day 1 session 1 with the appropriate driver.

"Ok, we're off line taking this pass, we're just going to stay out here, brake a little extra, stay on our side, good ... good... ok, check you mirror, make sure you're clear... good job... nicely done... "
Old 02-26-2019, 11:23 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

This is another reason to look at how fast regions promote drivers. We have to allow that the GT3 may have "only" made a mistake, but the boneheaded move screams lack of experience.

Merely showing up for a certain amount of track days, or having a lot of horsepower, should not be the reasons to promote a driver to the next run group.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:32 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
This is another reason to look at how fast regions promote drivers. We have to allow that the GT3 may have "only" made a mistake, but the boneheaded move screams lack of experience.

Merely showing up for a certain amount of track days, or having a lot of horsepower, should not be the reasons to promote a driver to the next run group.
Ding ding ding! Lookit the big brain on Todd!

Spot on
Old 02-26-2019, 11:59 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Ding ding ding! Lookit the big brain on Todd!

Spot on

I believe they call that the “Peter Principle”.

And to pile on the Boxster did nothing wrong!!!!

And now back to avoiding PCA and running Chin.

Peter
Old 02-26-2019, 12:11 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Easy to Monday morning quarterback this. Yes, the GT3 driver was to blame here for a lack of situational awareness but the OP also needs to be aware that this is a DE environment and people's skill/comfort levels are going to be vastly disparate from the race environment.

In this situation, as the GT3 driver, I never would've taken that late pass. I would've just tucked in behind the SPB and waited until I had a better place to go by with more space. If I did take the pass, I would've stayed inside and made sure I got past the SPB cleanly.

As the SPB driver, when I noticed that the GT3 was taking a fairly late pass, I would've been off the gas and covering the brake early, in anticipation of the GT3 trying to take the line. That way if (when?) the GT3 did try and take the line, I could be on the brakes and avoid car to car contact. The "WTF?!" hand sign would've gone up and a discussion in the paddock with the CI and hopefully the GT3 driver would occur at the end of the session.
Nothing wrong with taking that pass but it should have been obvious that the Boxster was holding it out for a late entry to tuck in behind. Ironically, since he didn't have time to square it up before turn-in he wasn't optimizing the line anyway. Everyone makes mistakes and this one was on the GT3 but one of the first lessons that should be learned in DE is to always leave yourself an out.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:54 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

He started focusing on turn and it thought he was clear of you / inexperience / not that surprising

Why we run Boxsters, that's less than a 300 dollar hit for you
Old 02-26-2019, 01:12 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,001 Posts

This is why you get a 6 page spread in Pano.....
Old 02-26-2019, 01:19 PM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to keep the discussion hopefully focused, I've been on the track a number of times with the owner of the GT3 and know him to be an experienced driver. Absent this incident, I would have said he was in the correct run group. I also think posting his personal information was inappropriate. While I feel sorry for the OP and the damage he sustained, I believe he should have used that information to contact the GT3 owner to discuss the incident
Old 02-26-2019, 01:37 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

edited

Last edited by PLNewman; 02-28-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Sebring Punt