Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Crash Damage Responsibility?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 11:13 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
99% of drivers think the other guy is at fault, which is why you can’t expect someone to pay for damage. One guy sees its a “he hit me” the other sees it as ‘he closed the door.’

I would not expect an offer to pay and I probably wouldn’t make one either. I’m also not sure you should expect a person to come talk to you after an incident; there’s a lot of ego in this sport and some be concerned there would be a confrontation.

Agreed on payment. Disagree on the apology.

In my case, I had video and the other driver was found at fault and subsequently, 13 13'd.

​If your ego is so big that you can't debrief and discuss an incident with the other parties, you're in the wrong sport. The least you can do is say you're sorry. Maybe buy the offended party a beer or two 😀
Old 02-18-2019, 11:16 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
You drive an E csr

Rubbing is racing
Not really a lot of contact in E class. I think you're confusing E car with PCA cup cars 😀

Fwiw, the car that torpedoed me was a G, maybe even an F car. Faster class regardless.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:20 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
If I’m driving it, it doesn’t need to be in writing.

OP and Stu however agreed, verbal contract.
The first $11K was paid. Maybe he didn’t get around to sending the next $14K?

Did Joe ever make Stu whole on their agreement?

If he didn't, why not? Seems like the correct thing to do based on their agreement.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:24 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 810 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
I plan to budget 10k/year to race. So if I hit Joe's car am I expected to hang up my helmet for six years and make payments? If I don't am I a dick?
No, you have no obligation to offer payment but it is good sportsmanship to apologize. I had a guy hit me at Sebring 2 years ago and it took him over a year to finally apologize for ruining my race weekend. Not sure what prompted the apology as we had raced in the same run group at previous times but I really appreciated it. I still stay clear of him on track today.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:24 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
....and that is the reason why there is generally no obligation to pay.
And if thing ever do get nasty there is that giant liability policy in SCCA's case, where the club lists each driver as an additional insured. Thankfully we are only talking about sheetmetal. An injury could be permanent or life threatening.even in HPDE or instructing.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:35 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

What concerns me is Joe's question. Sure the rules say everyone pays for thier own.. But we always hear of these unwritten rules... "gentlemen" will pay, only a dick would not offer to help.

That really worries me... If I make a mistake I want to make right, but the value of some of these cars could inflict serious financial hardship. If the expectation, even an unwritten one is to pay, it's probably best to not enter the ring.

Whole heartedly agree on the appology. If you are really worried about a confrontation at least send a note, or see if a third party will walk over with you.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:11 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 110 Posts

Yeah, paying for other’s cars is a slippery slope. I would like an apology and no more! I pay my own bills and I am usually glad to escape without personal injury. It is maddening and I love my race cars but they should be disposable. If not, you have no business in amateur level racing!
Old 02-19-2019, 12:14 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

People also forget that your racecar gives up its life for yours. Walking away from a crumpled mess is a good day.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:19 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,427 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Not really a lot of contact in E class. I think you're confusing E car with PCA cup cars 😀

Fwiw, the car that torpedoed me was a G, maybe even an F car. Faster class regardless.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:37 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
What concerns me is Joe's question. Sure the rules say everyone pays for thier own.. But we always hear of these unwritten rules... "gentlemen" will pay, only a dick would not offer to help.

That really worries me... If I make a mistake I want to make right, but the value of some of these cars could inflict serious financial hardship. If the expectation, even an unwritten one is to pay, it's probably best to not enter the ring.

Whole heartedly agree on the appology. If you are really worried about a confrontation at least send a note, or see if a third party will walk over with you.
(example) If Joe wants to run a (beautiful) high dollar 991 GT3R and get plowed by a rookie in a self serviced 996GT3 Cup.... Then that is the risk he accepts running that car as do all car owners. The 996 Cup owner even though is at fault, is by no means a dick for not offering to help pay for the repairs for a car worth as much as a house. It is just not feasable. And even if it were feasable, you can see what direction things would go.
My senario is extreme, but it is an example of why damage repairs cannot be expected to be paid. It leaves the door wide open. Club Racing would become parade laps as opposed to actual racing if everybody had to pay for accident damage. Not that we drive harder because it is a free pass, but you get the idea.

There is always 944 racing. Those are disposables with multple cars for parts in the owners backyards. Not a bad gig.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:53 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Actually, no. Unless it's in writing....
This is true. Typically a ride in another's car (especially for a race) comes in the form of writing, contract etc, unless amongst "close" friends. (This sometimes dosnt end well)
The "eye for and eye" approach amongst friends is basically what you would expect if the shoe were on the other foot. If you both have owned or own race cars then you understand the deal.
When taking somebody elses car out on the track and putting wear/tear and hours on it, the least you can do is pay for the damage incurred and in the event of a total loss pay the agreed value or deductable and that is regardless if you rented it for the day or not. It is a generally an accepted rule across the board. Friends or customers.
Rental rate is not inclusive of damage.

Paid pros and Coaches also have their arrangements with their clients as you stated. Those can be different terms altogether.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:08 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
You drive an E csr

Rubbing is racing
whoa, randy is back online....

good to see your still kicking
Old 02-19-2019, 03:58 AM
Joe T
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments. I wouldn't have asked if I believed the party at fault couldn't readily handle and easily afford to make things good. Maybe that doesn't matter. Curious as to how people viewed it...now I know.

I won't dignify the nonsense about VIR other than to say I'm happy to make the owner whole. As far as I am aware, based on the info I have received to date, the owner has made $ (better than whole) on this given the insurance payout, sale of transmission, sale of engine and my payment. With perhaps other valuable things still to sell. On top of that, he has a newer, nicer car. In hind sight, it would have been better for me to pay the deductible and take the car and sell off the parts. The owner knows how to reach me if we still need to sort any of this.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:11 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
whoa, randy is back online....

good to see your still kicking
im around

just going back into DE, no more racing for me....I enjoy drinking beer in the pits telling lies more than burning money....and it’s expensive to stay / cheat at the top

at 44 YO I grew up racing, enough for me

i like watching the drama and egos on rennlist thou

Old 02-19-2019, 07:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I’ve seen gentleman drivers do very stupid stuff, apologize and surprise the other part with payment.
It’s the gentlemen thing to do. I’d never expect it, but I would pay because I want to live with myself that way.
This

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Crash Damage Responsibility?