Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Crash Damage Responsibility?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 07:13 PM
sautan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, I am sorry to hear the accident. That is really sucks. Big thumbs up is that you are all good shape!!!

I am newbie so I am not sure my comment makes sense. IMO, If it's in the race track, we all know the risks and we assume the risks.

I want to get into w2w racing and met one experienced racer/instructor. He told me the risk of racing and accident do happen regardless it's yours or others stupidty. If I cannot accept the risks, I should not be in the sport.

Another advice he had for me. It's not how expensive a car you can afford but how much can you afford to maintain, repair and etc. for the season.

I probably will start with Miata or S2K now
Old 02-18-2019, 07:37 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Sebring is a funny track. There are many places you can really push it without penalty so people do! I was taken out this year at Sebring too. Guy who hit me didn't even say sorry. I have really low expectations. I didn't even expect a "sorry." Money for my car? No freaking way. On the bright side I'm buying a new racecar.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:49 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Sebring is a funny track. There are many places you can really push it without penalty so people do! I was taken out this year at Sebring too. Guy who hit me didn't even say sorry. I have really low expectations. I didn't even expect a "sorry." Money for my car? No freaking way. On the bright side I'm buying a new racecar.
This is my expectation as well, not even a bye-your-leave. Happened to me two seasons ago at Road Atlanta - one of our fellow RL'ers hit me going up the the hill to T11 and never came over and said a word. His mechanic did give me an evil eye as I drove down pit lane though, thanks for that. It was just a rub out, but not saying anything or coming over shows what character you have.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:01 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Oh maybe before bitching about someone else, maybe pay for the damage you did at VIR.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:07 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

That was a bit cryptic.
Joe drove Stu Fain's cup at VIR with the understanding that if anything happened Joe would pay the 25k deductible.
Joe totalled Stu's car.
Joe gave Stu 11k.
Stu is still waiting for the rest - 14k.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:18 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
That was a bit cryptic.
Joe drove Stu Fain's cup at VIR with the understanding that if anything happened Joe would pay the 25k deductible.
Joe totalled Stu's car.
Joe gave Stu 11k.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:23 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

This whole thread is why I don't race with the cup cars anymore.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:23 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by certz
This is my expectation as well, not even a bye-your-leave. Happened to me two seasons ago at Road Atlanta - one of our fellow RL'ers hit me going up the the hill to T11 and never came over and said a word. His mechanic did give me an evil eye as I drove down pit lane though, thanks for that. It was just a rub out, but not saying anything or coming over shows what character you have.
That’s just sad.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

That was a bit cryptic.
Joe totalled Stu's car.
Joe gave Stu 11k.
Why didn't Joe pay Stu the agreed upon deductible after balling Stu's cup car up? Seems pretty cut and dry if that was the deal. This thread is kind of ironic. I don't ask to co-drive cup cars because I can't write those kind of checks

Old 02-18-2019, 08:39 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

That was a bit cryptic.
Joe totalled Stu's car.
Joe gave Stu 11k.
Rennlist gold.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:39 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I've been on teams where we were the idiot and the innocent bystander. Damage from some touch up paint to a car that should have been totaled and was probably $50k worth of damage.

Ya wanna play, ya gotta play. Everyone pays for their own stuff. That is why SM is so popular.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:40 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

FWIW, I got hit at VIR a couple years ago. Took me out of the Enduro. Did a pile of damage. The driver didn't even so much as come over to say sorry or check on me after we were in the paddock. Just packed his **** and went home. He's a nice guy and I would have appreciated some $ towards the repair since it was such a bonehead move, but I wasn't expecting it. I was however expecting a "Hey, I'm sorry. Are you ok?". I'm still friendly with him, but I thought it was an odd move on his part.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Karma is a bitch.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:54 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

99% of drivers think the other guy is at fault, which is why you can’t expect someone to pay for damage. One guy sees its a “he hit me” the other sees it as ‘he closed the door.’

I would not expect an offer to pay and I probably wouldn’t make one either. I’m also not sure you should expect a person to come talk to you after an incident; there’s a lot of ego in this sport and some be concerned there would be a confrontation.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:58 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
FWIW, I got hit at VIR a couple years ago. Took me out of the Enduro. Did a pile of damage. The driver didn't even so much as come over to say sorry or check on me after we were in the paddock. Just packed his **** and went home. He's a nice guy and I would have appreciated some $ towards the repair since it was such a bonehead move, but I wasn't expecting it. I was however expecting a "Hey, I'm sorry. Are you ok?". I'm still friendly with him, but I thought it was an odd move on his part.
You drive an E csr

Rubbing is racing

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Crash Damage Responsibility?