Sponsored by:

Using Blinkers for Point-By

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Using Blinkers for Point-By

Are any PCA clubs / regions allowing the use of blinkers for point-bys? Details please...
Old 02-15-2019, 09:55 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

why?
Old 02-15-2019, 10:01 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Audi runs this way and we are looking into it. PCA National is not ready to approve this and I’m curious to see if anyone is already doing, how they do it (EU model or similar to hand signals), and how well it is working.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:10 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

Using blinkers is always problematic. In our region, it's arm out with a point by in the direction of the next turn. only... And we really try to enforce it.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:29 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Very commonly done at events in Canada--drivers "point" the passing car by in the direction they signal (i.e. pass on the right, use the right-hand signal) and are trusted to remember to turn them off after the pass(es) is/are completed. I do many events there and it's never been an issue.

Gary
Old 02-15-2019, 11:14 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I’ve driven w the audi club and blinkers
This audi club region uses the OPPOSITE blinker, indicating where you DONT want the car to pass. And no one knows how many passing signals are given “because ITS BLINKING”. They say its because “they do it this way at the Ring”.
I feel its so dangerous that i give hand signals simultaneously.
ITS STUPID AND DANGEROUS. (Ignoring the whole coversation about open and closed windows).

HORRIBLE, and DANGEROUS
Old 02-15-2019, 11:16 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

This is the topic that doesn;t want to die. There is another thread with tons of debate on this issue.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:42 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
This is the topic that doesn;t want to die. There is another thread with tons of debate on this issue.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:02 PM
Santi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been behind a Ferrari challenge car at a PCA event where the car was allowed to use signals for point by's due to their limited access to "windows" from the drivers seat. They made a special exception for this car but it isn't a standard practice.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:18 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Santi
I have been behind a Ferrari challenge car at a PCA event where the car was allowed to use signals for point by's due to their limited access to "windows" from the drivers seat. They made a special exception for this car but it isn't a standard practice.
Yup, this^^^.
In our NNJR DE's, we have a driver who uses hand controls in his car for brake and throttle.
He is the one exception we have (I believe) that is allowed to use his directionals for point by's.
The blinker that is blinking is the side you pass him on.
We go over this in the driver's meetings when this car is at a DE.
It seems to work well for both the driver as well as the cars on the track around him. It works well.
Not sure how well it would work if EVERY car was allowed to use blinkers for point by's. Not sure I'd want to find out either.
Point by's using the hand and arms is a method that is tried and true, and it works. Why fix something that is not already broken?
Old 02-15-2019, 12:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,672 Posts

I believe the local Audi Club North America chapter (Potomac) does this, they did alter the “old style” (side the blinker was to indicate) to mimic what is commonly used in EU and Canada a year or two ago, and it works fine.

They keep windows up, too.

Confusion is from attendees from other clubs (not just PCA) who know no other way than sticking their arm outside the window...

Ever tried to do that at 160 mph on the back straight at VIR in a GT2 RS? Hahahaha!

Love that dead-horse GIF!
Old 02-15-2019, 12:34 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Santi
Looking at your sig, it's crazy that a Ferrari challenge had to give you point-bys lol
Old 02-15-2019, 12:35 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by breljohn
Looking at your sig, it's crazy that a Ferrari challenge had to give you point-bys lol
Funny....
Old 02-15-2019, 12:41 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a full containment seat in my SM. An over the top point is "doable" but the left side point is not useful to following cars, especially in corners, do to arm/shoulder restriction of the seat. The couple PCA regions I run with, have allowed me the use of turn signal pass indication. This was an exception for a few specific drivers/cars, as hand points are their prefered method. We used the side flashed, is the side to be passed on. This was in the instructor group. I have asked the DE Chairs and randomly ask fellow drivers if this caused any confusion or problems and answer has always been "No and no complaints"... Well, I did have one person say, it took a moment to see a signal, because of strong sunlight on the rear of the car washing it out. I have installed stoppers on my turn signal switch, so the signal cannot be left on accidentally. One club, not PCA, would not allow use of the turn signal. After a couple sessions of drivers not being able to see my hand out the window and getting frustrated (along with myself) I started using the turn signal and everyone was happy.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:07 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Deja Vu all over again

Quick Reply: Using Blinkers for Point-By