Sponsored by:

WTB - hpde/track car - street legal

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 11:35 AM
boze_man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB - hpde/track car - street legal

With track season fast approaching here in the Northeast the dude is panicking and needs his fix...
I am looking for another Pcar that is setup for track use but still street legal. Car use would be 80/20 (track/street), most street use would be driving to track with the occasional drive to the bowling alley.
Previous ride was a '93 964 that really tied the garage together...6mt, rollbar, harnesses, LSD, manual rack, etc. which I sold in 2010 to a buddy (ex-buddy?) when we left Texas, yes I am a creep to sell her, oh well strikes and gutters.
Been away from the track since 2010 and now with kids older the addiction that I thought I had under control is back and now I also want to give the kids a taste, yes I am a bad father to introduce them to this terrible addiction.
Budget of 30k, but could stretch for the right car.
Thanks and feel free to PM or post any leads.
The dude abides...
Old 02-14-2019, 11:46 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

I went Ford.

1999 Mustang Cobra full track set up by previous owner. 16k with 32k miles on it. Wearables are 1/3 the cost and any local auto parts store has 90% of the parts in stock. And these cars are super ease to work on compared to the Porsche. This summer we are going to do a Coyote swap. 435HP Ford Performance create engine 6,200.00 free shipping no tax, 24mo warranty. Add headers, tune, CAI and youre 500+ on 91 Octane.

More and more guys and gals are showing up to PCA HPDE days with a Camaro, Mustang, Miata etc...

Still have four P cars but none will see track time.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:55 AM
boze_man
Pro

Originally Posted by 996AE
More and more guys and gals are showing up to PCA HPDE days with a Camaro, Mustang, Miata etc...
Looked at and researched the toyota 86 platform (scion frs/suby brz), miata, and even the camaro with the track pack...for whatever reason at least for me the fords were harder to find info on.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:04 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

My old car from a few years ago is for sale by the guy that bought it from me. Should be absolutely perfect mechanically and suspension upgrades have made it lethal.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=604865

LOVE BMW's for dual duty cars that wont kill you if you have to swap transmissions/engines (unlikely) with an incredible following.

Last edited by Olemiss540; 02-14-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:49 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by boze_man
...for whatever reason at least for me the fords were harder to find info on.
If you're thinking Ford you should sign up for Phoenix CMR's event @ WGI in June--it's an offshoot of the old Rochester Shelby Club and there are always TONS of Mustangs there in all guises. I'd guess that in two days you'd really learn a bunch about those cars No affiliation here (I drive a Mini ) but a fun event.

https://phoenixcmr.com/driving-events

Gary
Old 02-14-2019, 01:21 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Color and year are slightly off, but this is about the right car for you.

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...rino/101083082
Old 02-14-2019, 02:40 PM
boze_man
Pro

Originally Posted by mglobe
Color and year are slightly off, but this is about the right car for you.

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...rino/101083082
LOL ...now you got me wasting time looking for the actual torino...years ago I almost bought the uncle rico van off of ebay, but got outbid

how things going down h-town way? sad to see those pics ya posted of TWS
Old 02-14-2019, 02:46 PM
boze_man
Pro

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
My old car is for sale. Should be absolutely perfect mechanically and suspension upgrades have made it lethal.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=604865

LOVE BMW's for dual duty cars that wont kill you if you have to swap transmissions/engines (unlikely) with an incredible following.
Think I seen it on CL...prefer a bit more stealth appearance tho glws...
sounds like you have triple header coming fast...wedding, baby, house...in which order? wishing ya good luck with all 3!
Old 02-14-2019, 02:48 PM
boze_man
Pro

Originally Posted by gbuff
If you're thinking Ford you should sign up for Phoenix CMR's event @ WGI in June--it's an offshoot of the old Rochester Shelby Club and there are always TONS of Mustangs there in all guises. I'd guess that in two days you'd really learn a bunch about those cars No affiliation here (I drive a Mini ) but a fun event.

https://phoenixcmr.com/driving-events

Gary
lov the avatar! ...took me a sec to realize the mini
Old 02-14-2019, 04:07 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I just picked up a brand new Subaru BRZ TS for $29,250. Plenty of deals to be had in these as they tend to sit.

There is a 86 time trial cup in the north east as well. I’m going to run the Rocky Mountain 86cup.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:20 PM
greyman09
Track Day

Spec Miata is a blast.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:33 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Think I seen it on CL...prefer a bit more stealth appearance tho glws...
sounds like you have triple header coming fast...wedding, baby, house...in which order? wishing ya good luck with all 3!
Sorry! I confused things as this was my OLD car. Owner purchased it from my 1.5 years or so ago, but I know it inside and out.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:01 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

With track season fast approaching here in the Northeast the dude is panicking and needs his fix...
I am looking for another Pcar that is setup for track use but still street legal. Car use would be 80/20 (track/street), most street use would be driving to track with the occasional drive to the bowling alley.
Previous ride was a '93 964 that really tied the garage together...6mt, rollbar, harnesses, LSD, manual rack, etc. which I sold in 2010 to a buddy (ex-buddy?) when we left Texas, yes I am a creep to sell her, oh well strikes and gutters.
Been away from the track since 2010 and now with kids older the addiction that I thought I had under control is back and now I also want to give the kids a taste, yes I am a bad father to introduce them to this terrible addiction.
Budget of 30k, but could stretch for the right car.
Thanks and feel free to PM or post any leads.
The dude abides...
Starting taking my kids to race tracks 4 years ago, great fun. I'd recommend a BMW M3 set up for track work. Well balanced and pretty reliable, good luck!

Phil
Old 02-15-2019, 01:46 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

I know we'd all prefer a P-car but M3s are a good option, especially for dual duty.

I have a 2006 M3 ZCP that I just put together. Did one track day and really enjoyed it but I could use the money for a home-improvement project. Subframe reinforced (zero cracks prior), VANOS bullet-proofed with Beisan Systems parts, valves adjusted, rod bearings just done, JRZ 2-way remotes (800#f/900#r), Turner race camber plates, Turner front adjustable camber arms, all new bushings in suspension, new transmission mounts (semi-solid), new motor mounts, new steering coupler, SMG to manual conversion, AKG DTM shifter and selector rod, stainless brake lines, Pagid yellows with one day on them, brand new front rotors, fresh fluids... and lots that I am forgetting. I took care of a few minor cosmetic things too. All work done by Kaiv here in San Diego. 2nd set of Enkei NT03+ square set up with Cup 2s (four 20 minute sessions on them). I drove from San Diego to Phoenix and back for a track day and it was pretty comfortable. Super easy to adjust the dampers. Enough room on the inside to transport track wheels, jack, some tools, cooler, folding chair. Probably only have about 1k miles under my ownership. 120k miles on car with records from new. Really clean car but I can't seem to get a pic to attach.

All work documented by photos, video and receipts. I'd consider letting it go in the high 20's.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:31 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 76 Posts

There’s a nice trackxprepped cayman posted just a couple lines down on this very forum

*edit*. Looks like you are already on that thread

Last edited by Difool; 02-15-2019 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply: WTB - hpde/track car - street legal