Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   997.2 C2 for track day car? (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1128318-997-2-c2-for-track-day-car.html)

Coleco 02-08-2019 11:56 PM

997.2 C2 for track day car?

I use to race Formula SCCA and Spec Miata, then took some time off when I had a family. Now getting the itch again, and want to do track days with a weekend fun car. Have zero interest in going racing again or trailering a track day car.

So how is the 997.2 C2 as a track day car?

Any starvation or other issue with the 9A1 engine during track duty? (NT01 type tires)

How is the ABS system in track duty? Is it 4 channel?

Any must have upgrades for engine longevity?

Any advice and insight at all would be great, whether you have one, driven in one or just saw one at the track.

Thanks!

tcsracing1 02-09-2019 12:43 AM

997.2 with PDK is a really nice track car. The DFI is reliable and the PDK shifts great!

BGB motorsports have everything you need in regards to tune and suspension bits that are road/track friendly.

BillNye 02-09-2019 11:10 AM

Are you looking to buy a 997.2 C2 for track day use, or do you already have a 997.2 C2 and want to know how it will do on track?

I've done a few track days in my 997.2 C2S with street tires, but I'm barely an "intermediate" driver. I've never had an issue with oil temps in midwest conditions, although if you are located in a hotter climate you may consider adding the 3rd radiator (std on '11+ PDK cars I believe). I have not had any issues with oil starvation either, nor am I aware of any from those running sticky tires.

I can't say that I've ever been able to engage the ABS on a dry track so I can't speak to how good it is specifically, but generally (for fast drivers), the brakes and cooling them are a limiting factor on the 997. There are several upgrade paths including the GT3 setup (scoops AND appropriate fender liners), Turbo calipers, AP/Essex kit is an option now too, and the other usual brands.

Depending on how interested you are in modifying the car or maintaining a comfortable street car there is a whole host of suspension upgrades as well, likewise with safety upgrades.
If you are planning to keep the car more or less stock it might be worth spending the extra bit for a C2S. The brakes are larger, suspension is upgraded to PASM adjustable dampers, and more power.

Coleco 02-11-2019 12:34 AM

Thanks guys. I am just starting to research cars right now. Keep coming back to the 997.2 C2, and yes tcsracing1 it would be a PDK car! BillNye great info. Nice to know the PDK comes with the 3rd radiator. I would love to find a clean C2S but that might be just out of my budget. Don't really care about the extra hp, but the PASM and larger brakes are nice. That said I am into modifying cars, but have no intention of dropping 15K+ on suspension goodies. Which looks like can happen real quick in these cars...

wjk_glynn 02-11-2019 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by BillNye (Post 15626627)
...you may consider adding the 3rd radiator (std on PDK cars I believe)...

Originally Posted by Coleco (Post 15630368)
...Nice to know the PDK comes with the 3rd radiator...

3rd radiator wasn’t standard on US market 997.2 PDK cars for the first few years. Certainly wasn’t on my MY2010. It might have been standard from MY2011...

Karl.

Coleco 02-11-2019 10:45 AM

Thanks for the info Karl.

BillNye 02-11-2019 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn (Post 15630732)
3rd radiator wasn’t standard on US market 997.2 PDK cars for the first few years. Certainly wasn’t on my MY2010. It might have been standard from MY2011...

Thank you, I was mistaken. Edited my post.
I don't think it is necessary for most, and in any event all the parts to add it are available for <$1k.

Originally Posted by Coleco (Post 15630368)
Thanks guys. I am just starting to research cars right now. Keep coming back to the 997.2 C2, and yes tcsracing1 it would be a PDK car! BillNye great info. Nice to know the PDK comes with the 3rd radiator. I would love to find a clean C2S but that might be just out of my budget. Don't really care about the extra hp, but the PASM and larger brakes are nice. That said I am into modifying cars, but have no intention of dropping 15K+ on suspension goodies. Which looks like can happen real quick in these cars...

PASM is nice to have for a dual purpose car and can be easily upgraded with a DSC controller, which seems to have great reviews (never used). On the other side, if you want to keep the pasm function and upgrade to coilovers your selection is rather limited.
The C2S probably also has upgraded sway bars. GT3 control arms and adjustable rear toe links are popular track mods that enable more track friendly alignment settings.
Another thing to keep in mind is wheel/tire sizes. I haven't looked into it for a C2, but many of those came with 18s and a narrower 265 rear (vs the S 295). Depending on what combination of wheel sizes and tire sizes you want to use for street and track it may be difficult to find appropriate tires. e.g. 18x12 is a popular size rear for track use, but "street" tires are almost non-existent in sizes to fit that.

I love my 911 but I think if I was looking to use it on the track more frequently I'd consider switching to a 987.2.

djm68 02-11-2019 05:53 PM

If you plan to track your 997.2 C2 PDK there are a few things you will need to do:

A diff cooler for the PDK is a must. The PDK runs hot and cooling the gear oil will reduce the amount of heat being transferred to your engine, and it will save your PDK from cooking itself. BGB and LN engineering offer kits.

I'd recommend deep sump oil pan, not to address oil starvation issues (the 9A1 does not suffer from oiling issues), but having extra oil increases the thermal carrying capacity and most deep sumps are heavily built finned aluminum, adding to the cooling capability. I had a first gen mantis deep sump, but upgraded to the LN Engineering unit which is quite a nice piece.

Brakes: ABS is fine on the track. GT3 master cylinder is an easy swap and greatly improve pedal feel. Flush hi-temp brake fluid and add track pads, and you are good to go.

Cheers,
DJM

Coleco 02-12-2019 06:28 PM

Great info, thanks guys!

tcsracing1 02-13-2019 12:07 AM

if you want a road and track 911, BGB currently has a 991.2GTS perfectly set up for what you are looking for. And they will sell it for an outstanding deal.
It is 500hp, full warranty and exceptionally fun to drive.

MSR Racer 02-13-2019 08:06 AM

997.2 C2 can easily end up being a money pit when try to track tune it!!

cains10 02-13-2019 09:07 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...63c6266703.jpg

cains10 02-13-2019 09:26 PM

2012 with PDK and Sport Chrono. I would highly recommend both PDK and Sport Chrono. It was a great track day car.

golfnutintib 02-13-2019 09:29 PM

7.2 9a1 pdk is fine for track use - you go faster than intermediate you will want a stiffer suspension and LSD for better body control and traction out of tight corners

see photo at left - my starter track car, taught both sons on track with it too, just high temp brake fluid, track pads, gt3 front control arms for camber

Coleco 02-14-2019 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by tcsracing1 (Post 15635381)
if you want a road and track 911, BGB currently has a 991.2GTS perfectly set up for what you are looking for. And they will sell it for an outstanding deal.
It is 500hp, full warranty and exceptionally fun to drive.

Sounds badass, but unfortunately out of my price range.

Originally Posted by MSR Racer (Post 15635704)
997.2 C2 can easily end up being a money pit when try to track tune it!!

But that goes for pretty much any car.

Originally Posted by cains10 (Post 15637425)

Nice!

Originally Posted by cains10 (Post 15637478)
2012 with PDK and Sport Chrono. I would highly recommend both PDK and Sport Chrono. It was a great track day car.

Yeah that is what I would go with.

Originally Posted by golfnutintib (Post 15637486)
7.2 9a1 pdk is fine for track use - you go faster than intermediate you will want a stiffer suspension and LSD for better body control and traction out of tight corners

see photo at left - my starter track car, taught both sons on track with it too, just high temp brake fluid, track pads, gt3 front control arms for camber

Thanks for the info, nice car.