Sponsored by:

NBC to cover Rolex 24 like the Kentucky Derby

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 05:38 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Like they couldn't find qualified people? Bring back Dorsey Schrader for f*cks sake!
Exactly! We need to hear Dorsey's voice on this broadcast.....
Old 01-20-2019, 04:01 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember a few years ago (maybe 2010 or 2011?) the Daytona 24 broadcast got cut off mid-race around 10pm to give airtime to a semi-pro motocross race.....

Say what you will about this lineup of announcers, but at least NBC is making a go of putting the race content on the air and wrapping context around it to interest the average person. I hope they hit the cover off the ball and make Daytona a major event in US sports this year
Old 01-20-2019, 04:16 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Just a few words about NBC Sports coverage.... ABC covered the Kentucky Derby for decades, and ratings were showing a distinct downward trend. NBC grabbed the rights in 2001 and expanded coverage from 90-minutes (ABC) to nearly FIVE HOURS (NBC). They also, according to horse racing purists, cheapened the coverage with frivolous celebrity-based content. But, as NBC was quick to point out, they reversed the downward rating trend and brought thousands more "new" race fans on board. Some will argue that NBC played (and continues to play) tricks with the ratings. While current Derby coverage runs from 2:30-7:00 p.m., NBC only announces the ratings from 6:30-6:45 p.m., the quarter-hour block that includes the actual 2-minute horse race. And, since 2011, NBC's ratings numbers have included both TV and digital viewers. But the fact of the matter remains, NBC effectively DOUBLED ABC's audience in less than a decade. Can they do the same with sports car endurance racing?

Old 01-20-2019, 06:07 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by white924s
I remember a few years ago (maybe 2010 or 2011?) the Daytona 24 broadcast got cut off mid-race around 10pm to give airtime to a semi-pro motocross race.....

Say what you will about this lineup of announcers, but at least NBC is making a go of putting the race content on the air and wrapping context around it to interest the average person. I hope they hit the cover off the ball and make Daytona a major event in US sports this year
One year they cut away to air Craftsman truck practice. PRACTICE!! They cut away from a live race to air practice laps.

I do hope so Mr. Newman. I'm really hopeful that the TV package gets better. It can only get better.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:38 PM
rstrahota
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the NBC SC coverage was great! The various teams of on-air talent were enthusiastic, insightful, and even fun! I even found the Peacock Pit Box idea to be brilliantly executed. Those 3 folks worked their asses off. Despite not being sportscar people in the traditional sense, they had done their homework and seem to be really enjoying themselves and the event. Running order graphics were even good. Yes, I could have done fine with far fewer Rutledge Wood segments, but thats what I would consider a minor grumble.
This is the kind of media support we have long hoped for in our sport's pro level - if we hope to see the sport widen its appeal, grow and thrive.
I'm looking forward to seeing what they do for the rest of the motorsports season and I'm highly optimistic.
rs
Old 01-28-2019, 08:28 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by rstrahota
I thought the NBC SC coverage was great! The various teams of on-air talent were enthusiastic, insightful, and even fun! I even found the Peacock Pit Box idea to be brilliantly executed. Those 3 folks worked their asses off. Despite not being sportscar people in the traditional sense, they had done their homework and seem to be really enjoying themselves and the event. Running order graphics were even good. Yes, I could have done fine with far fewer Rutledge Wood segments, but thats what I would consider a minor grumble.
This is the kind of media support we have long hoped for in our sport's pro level - if we hope to see the sport widen its appeal, grow and thrive.
I'm looking forward to seeing what they do for the rest of the motorsports season and I'm highly optimistic.
rs
Agreed. I was overall impressed with the coverage. There were some goofy segments but overall it was well done.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:22 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

The coverage was pretty good but there are a couple of commercials that I hope I never see again.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:57 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought they screwed up coverage of the trophy presentation for Wayne Taylor Racing-Cadillac by only showing it in 1/4 screen while conducting an interview with a lower placing driver. They should have covered the class victors award and then interviewed other drivers/teams.

Quick Reply: NBC to cover Rolex 24 like the Kentucky Derby