Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Helmet for Noob/Occasional HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 05:36 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Communication equipment is mandatory for the instructor in most PCA regions I instruct with. Most instructors use Chatterbox which is not compatible with most "wired" helmets without an adapter. Almost no students helmets are wired.for communication. I would not recommend helmet wiring for a new student. I wear eyeglasses and some helmets offer a larger eye port which is useful. Most helmets come with a face shield and NJMP requires one but it's not enforced. I'm also in SE PA.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:36 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Lots of good advice so far and make sure you try it on before buying. The sizing charts won't provide the true fit your helmet buying decision requires.

I bought a Stilo( carbon fiber) and the fit and overall quality is incredible.

Good luck!
Old 01-14-2019, 10:01 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 151 Posts

Idamelio:
If you can try on various brands prior to purchasing, that would be ideal since each manufacturer's helmets will fit a little differently. There is a pro shop at New Jersey Motorsports Park in the paddock of the Thunderbolt circuit. I think it's about an hour driving time from the Philly area. www.njmp.com

They stock a good selection of helmets from Bell, Stilo, Roux, HJC, Arai and others. Not sure what their hours are this time of year so you may have to wait until February.

If you have a reason to take a drive down to the Washington D.C. area, we have a full service showroom and a large stock of helmets in stock from Bell, Arai, Stilo, Roux, Simpson, G-Force and will be able to get you fitted in the right helmet for you. Our website is www.ogracing.com

If you have any questions, please give us a call at 1-800-934-9112. We are open 9am-6pm Monday through Friday and will be resuming Saturday hours from 10am-2pm in February.

Kind regards,
Old 01-14-2019, 10:11 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Helmet Fitment

Definitely try some helmets on if you get to a shop near you. Some brands fit better than others depending on the shape of your head. Also, brand sizing runs different. A BELL or Gforce medium will run larger than Roux or HJC in medium. So if you try on a "medium" and decide to go shopping, make sure you know the brand and model too.

Here's a link to our website showing how to test fit a helmet (resource from BELL) - snugger is always better - How to fit a helmet

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 01-14-2019, 10:47 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
Definitely try some helmets on if you get to a shop near you. Some brands fit better than others depending on the shape of your head. Also, brand sizing runs different. A BELL or Gforce medium will run larger than Roux or HJC in medium. So if you try on a "medium" and decide to go shopping, make sure you know the brand and model too.

Here's a link to our website showing how to test fit a helmet (resource from BELL) - snugger is always better - How to fit a helmet
I'm fortunate in having you all at many of our events - there is no substitute for trying one on and finding the best fit... Apex lets you do this.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:42 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Where are you located? Some big PCA Club Race / HPDE events have vendors on site were you can get properly fit. Some clubs offer loaners too that you can try on, but a good fitting is worth your effort to find a shop.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

take a look at zamp. great pricing, good no-nonsense helmet, fit me fine, not terribly heavy, etc.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:54 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,183 Likes on 775 Posts

Definitely try before buying. Super happy with my Bell now compared to HJC I had before. Spent a bit more this time but the fit and weight is worth it.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:29 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
take a look at zamp. great pricing, good no-nonsense helmet, fit me fine, not terribly heavy, etc.
+ 1 on Zamp. Did some digging on them, and from everything I could find, Zamp is the same as Bell Europe. I picked up the RZ-44 Carbon in December on a 20% off sale for $400 shipped. SA2015, pretty lightweight, vented, etc. Hard to beat. Their glass helmets are less. I also think their Hans-style device might be the best on the market.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:57 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
+ 1 on Zamp. Did some digging on them, and from everything I could find, Zamp is the same as Bell Europe. I picked up the RZ-44 Carbon in December on a 20% off sale for $400 shipped. SA2015, pretty lightweight, vented, etc. Hard to beat. Their glass helmets are less. I also think their Hans-style device might be the best on the market.
Zamp is owned by David Zamperin. He was in the Sacramento, Ca area but now is up on the Wash/Canada line. He was the Bell Motorcycle LIcensee in North America. He had all the contacts at the Chinese mills so he started his own helmet line close to 20 years ago.
One of his helmets was identical to the Bell GP2 but it was less expensive.
The BELL AUTO licensee FOR North America is now the European licensee. They took over after the introduction of the 2010 helmet line. THey shut down the US factory in Rantoul , Il and moved all production to China. When the 2015 helmet line was introduced Bell moved all production to Bahrain. They all but went out of business you could not get anything. People looking for a Bell got tired of waiting and went with another manufacturers helmet. ,This move to Bahrain had to be very very costly.
We have been a Zamp dealer for 15 years. He is creative and he has good stuff.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 01-17-2019, 05:15 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
Zamp is owned by David Zamperin. He was in the Sacramento, Ca area but now is up on the Wash/Canada line. He was the Bell Motorcycle LIcensee in North America. He had all the contacts at the Chinese mills so he started his own helmet line close to 20 years ago.
One of his helmets was identical to the Bell GP2 but it was less expensive.
The BELL AUTO licensee FOR North America is now the European licensee. They took over after the introduction of the 2010 helmet line. THey shut down the US factory in Rantoul , Il and moved all production to China. When the 2015 helmet line was introduced Bell moved all production to Bahrain. They all but went out of business you could not get anything. People looking for a Bell got tired of waiting and went with another manufacturers helmet. ,This move to Bahrain had to be very very costly.
We have been a Zamp dealer for 15 years. He is creative and he has good stuff.
Great info - I had never heard that longer explanation before. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:17 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Besides having snell rating best helmet is the one that fits you the best with the highest quality you can afford. I do believe when it comes to helmets you get what you pay for in means of dollars, i cant see how a 200 helmet is the same as a 1200 helmet.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:10 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajcjr
Besides having snell rating best helmet is the one that fits you the best with the highest quality you can afford. I do believe when it comes to helmets you get what you pay for in means of dollars, i cant see how a 200 helmet is the same as a 1200 helmet.
Well a rating is a rating - great write-up here. https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...ty-ratings-101

Note the last line... "A $100 DOT helmet that is sized correctly will better protect you than a $900 SNELL helmet in a size too large."
Old 01-19-2019, 12:53 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
Well a rating is a rating - great write-up here. https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...ty-ratings-101

Note the last line... "A $100 DOT helmet that is sized correctly will better protect you than a $900 SNELL helmet in a size too large."
exactley my point fit first than bells and whistles. After reading that im still going with the highest standard in testing and im happy to pay for it.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:30 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr

exactley my point fit first than bells and whistles. After reading that im still going with the highest standard in testing and im happy to pay for it.
FIA 8860?

On the OP’s question, to me the $300-600 range is the value zone, and somewhere around $1000+ you’re paying for features and details. For racers that’s often going to be a good use of money, but for a casual trackday user I don’t think it’s typically worth spending $1000+ on a helmet unless that amount of money is rather unimportant to you.

If you are worried about adequate safety, also consider a HANS type device. The Simpson hybrid can be used with three point belts.

I wouldn’t worry about comms/hydration/etc. with a three day a year schedule and volunteer instruction.

Quick Reply: Best Helmet for Noob/Occasional HPDE