Sponsored by:

Best Helmet for Noob/Occasional HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 08:36 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 480 Posts
Default Best Helmet for Noob/Occasional HPDE

Any helmet recommendations for occasional HPDE use - looking at fit/comfort/safety/cost-effectiveness. Will likely be doing 3 - 4 PCA and other track days annually in a stock 718 Cayman S. Once something meets standards, is there any incremental safety gain that would be relevant to me as price increases? I race bicycles - as you go up the food chain there, $$$ buy style, aero and some non-essential gizmos, but a $10 WalMart helmet is just as safe as my $300 units. There is a sweet spot in value/features somewhere between the two. Where is it with auto racing/HPDE for my circumstances?
Old 01-13-2019, 09:09 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

The helmet must be Snell approved. The current approval date is 2015, the last approved date was 2010. The 2010 helmet will expire in 2020 so you should look for a 2015. Generally more money buys lightness and features such as built in communication wiring, ventilation, and drink access. Some offer better aero which can be useful if driving an open car. Most important is fit, different makes fit differently. Its most important to go to a shop and try the helmet on and it should be a snug fit. I leave is on for at least 15 minutes before making a size decision. The fit will loosen over time.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:23 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I had learned about the Snell / dates, etc. from Google searches. I don't need drink, communication, aero. Any specific models you like? Full face v. open? Visor/no visor? I wear mild prescription glasses, no contacts if that plays in. BTW, your 981 GT4 avatar looks great - my 718S is also agate with black Carrera S wheels. Trying on a good idea - even with bicycle helmets, amazing the variation in head shape and fit for the same nominal size.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:03 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

You make want to reconsider the built in communication system. There are times you will ride with an instructor. I find having the bulging earpiece inserted underneath the helmet flap quite annoying and a distraction. When I purchased my first helmet, I did not install it it. After about 3 track days with an instructor on board, I went back to the shop and had in installed.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:12 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

Where are you located? There are a few of us on here that carry different brands. We sell a lot of Bell Sport helmets to people just getting into track driving. Quality brand, normally a good fit, and relatively inexpensive that lists for $399. Roux is another we sell a lot of (and what we use personally). They have a Basic, which as it says is a basic helmet, no extras, for the same as the Bell Sport. But with the Roux, you can upgrade eventually and install in-helmet ear speakers and microphone. Or buy it like that right off the bat. Most beginners don’t get the in-helmet communicators but wish they had it for instruction.

Give me a shout and we’ll see if we can help you. But as Bill said, trying it on is important...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 01-13-2019, 10:33 AM
911fanboy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helmet choice

I bought an Impact, which was relatively inexpensive, but seems to be good quality. I'd recommend it. I will say the point about built in communication is valid. I've subsequently doubled the cost for built in speaker/mic.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:41 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
I race bicycles - as you go up the food chain there, $$$ buy style, aero and some non-essential gizmos, but a $10 WalMart helmet is just as safe as my $300 units. There is a sweet spot in value/features somewhere between the two. Where is it with auto racing/HPDE for my circumstances?
What Bill said but I think your comparison of Wall Mart's $10 as safe as a $300 units is very, very incorrect...I'm a distributor for bicycles parts in our region and I have been to the factories and know the R&D that goes into a helmet and the test procedures.
They do have to meet CPSC standard but that's a bare minimum...if they actually did the correct test.
You are correct that there's a point extra money doesn't buy more protection but not at $10. Same goes for Motorcycle and any motorsport helmet
I'm of the thinking that I will buy the best helmet specs and price wise I can afford......we can replace helmets and throw away money but not your brain. Just my $0.02.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:56 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Get a roux. Semi affordable and good built in audio for when you have instructor in car. Get a conversion plug to connect to instructor chatterbox
Old 01-13-2019, 11:06 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Start with fit, then worry about brand, features and cost. A poorly fitting helmet will either be uncomfortable, or not as safe as it should be. All other things being equal, lighter is safer, as it lessens the strain on the neck in the case of an incident.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:14 AM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Start with fit, then worry about brand, features and cost. A poorly fitting helmet will either be uncomfortable, or not as safe as it should be.

What mglobe said and get an SA rated helmet and not M. SA has fireproof materials. M is for motorcycles. (note: you can track with an M rated helmet but SA is preferred)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:15 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Start with fit, then worry about brand, features and cost. A poorly fitting helmet will either be uncomfortable, or not as safe as it should be. All other things being equal, lighter is safer, as it lessens the strain on the neck in the case of an incident.
+1

Last edited by ExMB; 01-13-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:38 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
What mglobe said and get an SA rated helmet and not M. SA has fireproof materials. M is for motorcycles. (note: you can track with an M rated helmet but SA is preferred)
actually, many regions will not allow M rated helmets for track. And they shouldn’t. As said, SA rated helmets are flame retardant, M are not...since it’s highly unlikely you’ll get caught in a motorcycle fire.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:52 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

just buy a Stilo and call it a day. You will have it for many years of use. The communication system is excellent.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:38 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pyrotec if you’re looking for a budget.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:40 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies - I hadn't thought about communication with an in-car instructor. To show you how much of a noob I am, I figured that yelling would suffice and that communication systems are only for full out racing to communicate with crew. I'm in the Philadelphia area (Bucks County specifically). Any recommendations for shops so I can try on in person? Found a couple of places with Google search, but none that seem to sell a wide variety.

Quick Reply: Best Helmet for Noob/Occasional HPDE