Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Suggestions needed for Video and Timing (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1120110-suggestions-needed-for-video-and-timing.html)

Matt Romanowski 12-23-2018 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by JSETarga (Post 15516882)
How quick of a process and how much is there to do getting the data/video? I have been reading on other threads today and saw someone saying something along the lines that AIM has a lot more data and more cumbersome to watch video with data between sessions than the VBox. That the Vbox is better for someone who wants quick overlay data between sessions and AIM better for someone who wants to read more data. Definately not to the reading data lines place yet in my progression.

I think data and video are both important, but for real progress, the help is in the data IMHO. The AiM video solution is as easy as taking the SD card out of the camera and putting it in your computer or smart TV. The SCHD is set up before hand and than automatically turns on, records, stops recording, and turns off. Same for the logger. To get the data, it's download the file from the S2DL and then looking at it in analysis.

One of the really nice and IMHO critical parts of the S2DL is the predictive display. That lets you have immediate feedback on your driving. Different line, brake point, or anything else you do is immediately quantifiable for you. No need to do a whole session to wonder if something is better or not.

If you have questions, feel free to call me. My cell is 603-674-3250. I have some last minute shopping to do, but I'm around all day today and tomorrow (the rest of the week too).

I'm sure whatever you pick will be great and really help you in your driving. Most al the data systems out right now are really solid and will help you progress.

dgrobs 12-23-2018 02:45 PM

How quick of a process and how much is there to do getting the data/video? I have been reading on other threads today and saw someone saying something along the lines that AIM has a lot more data and more cumbersome to watch video with data between sessions than the VBox. That the Vbox is better for someone who wants quick overlay data between sessions and AIM better for someone who wants to read more data. Definately not to the reading data lines place yet in my progression.

It’s a very quick process. I watch the video and overlaid data between sessions all the time. The DL is actually a wireless download to my laptop via WiFi and Bluetooth. I watch my laps between sessions all the time.
When I get home, I just pop the SD card into my computer and download everything for viewing on the big screen.
Give Matt a call and he can explain better than I. Since he gave you his number in the above post, take advantage of it. You’ll also get a glimpse into the level of support he can give you.
From what I know of Matt, he loves taking these calls smack in the middle of Christmas dinner, right between the ham and sweet potato pie, so don’t be shy and give him a call. (J/K Matt of course).
Seriously, give him a call or shoot him a pm. Well
worth your time.

Matt Romanowski 12-23-2018 03:13 PM

Casserole, not pie😜

I can also put you in touch with someone who just messaged me with a like new original DL to save some coin.

JSETarga 12-23-2018 03:29 PM

Thanks guys, I will give a call. Traveling today but will hit you up after christmas

Thanks

wwlee 12-23-2018 04:30 PM

I looked at some of the mounts for a SC, and it seems as if it needs a rollbar if recording from behind the driver. Could a SC also be setup via suction mounts at the windshield or is there a way to retrofit the rollbar-mount with the bar immediately behind the seats in a cayman?

ProCoach 12-23-2018 04:50 PM

Agreed.

ProCoach 12-23-2018 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by JSETarga (Post 15517056)
Thanks guys, I will give a call. Traveling today but will hit you up after christmas

Thanks

Since I'm a large dealer of both (and more), I'm glad to answer questions before you pull the trigger. I don't care what you use. While I like AiM, it's a steeper learning curve, for sure.

ProCoach 12-23-2018 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by wwlee (Post 15517163)
I looked at some of the mounts for a SC, and it seems as if it needs a rollbar if recording from behind the driver. Could a SC also be setup via suction mounts at the windshield or is there a way to retrofit the rollbar-mount with the bar immediately behind the seats in a cayman?

You can hang a SCHD upside down from the roof glass, but that's pretty far back. Most of the folks I sell to use triple suction cup mounts and smaller bullet cameras for less obtrusive cameras. The luggage bar works ok.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...af2a5c0508.jpg

wwlee 12-23-2018 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by ProCoach (Post 15517203)
You can hang a SCHD upside down from the roof glass, but that's pretty far back. Most of the folks I sell to use triple suction cup mounts and smaller bullet cameras for less obtrusive cameras. The luggage bar works ok.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...af2a5c0508.jpg

Thanks! I guess I can still use the rollbar mount on the luggage bar. The OEM bar on the 981 is flat and wide, but I guess I can just use filler like in your picture.

dgrobs 12-23-2018 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by wwlee (Post 15517217)
Thanks! I guess I can still use the rollbar mount on the luggage bar. The OEM bar on the 981 is flat and wide, but I guess I can just use filler like in your picture.

Use your harness bar for the SC.

wwlee 12-23-2018 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by dgrobs (Post 15517438)

Use your harness bar for the SC.

Thanks Bruce. Unfortunately I don't have racing seat/rollbar/harness set up yet. Trying to hold out another season before that upgrade.

dgrobs 12-24-2018 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by wwlee (Post 15517511)
Thanks Bruce. Unfortunately I don't have racing seat/rollbar/harness set up yet. Trying to hold out another season before that upgrade.

Freakin Rangers. Another overtime/shootout loss. Last 4 home games we were at, same result. OT loss. S/O loss. Same old same old.

Anyway, Im trying to remember from when we were hanging at The Glen this past season: Are you tracking your DD? Same as my track car, yes? A 981S? If not, maybe you should be thinking about making the investment in the safety equipment first and then the data logger and camera.
If you aren't using a Hans and Harness's and Race Seats, and something bad happens (whether your fault or somebody else's), and you don't have the Hans and Harnesses, the data logger and camera might end up being the least of your concerns.
IIRC, you are running in Yellow or Blue, yes? If so, you are starting to go faster and corner quicker as you progress. Maybe the safety stuff should come ahead of the Data Logger and SCHD? Just a thought.

wwlee 12-24-2018 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by dgrobs (Post 15518013)
Freakin Rangers. Another overtime/shootout loss. Last 4 home games we were at, same result. OT loss. S/O loss. Same old same old.

Anyway, Im trying to remember from when we were hanging at The Glen this past season: Are you tracking your DD? Same as my track car, yes? A 981S? If not, maybe you should be thinking about making the investment in the safety equipment first and then the data logger and camera.
If you aren't using a Hans and Harness's and Race Seats, and something bad happens (whether your fault or somebody else's), and you don't have the Hans and Harnesses, the data logger and camera might end up being the least of your concerns.
IIRC, you are running in Yellow or Blue, yes? If so, you are starting to go faster and corner quicker as you progress. Maybe the safety stuff should come ahead of the Data Logger and SCHD? Just a thought.

Yes - had the pleasure meeting you at WGI. Tracking an unmodded 981S on street tires/stock suspension. I agree on the importance of a hans/harness/seats. For now I have a Hybrid Simpson S Hans (compatible w/ 3 point seat belt)...and will probably do the full upgrade after the coming season - not sure if i'm keeping this car yet. I was able to get my hands on an AiM Solo2DL, and was looking into getting a smartycam to make more use of the AIM device - I figure this setup is pretty transferable from my current car to a potential future one. Might be a bit of a pain to transfer the seats/harness/rollbar setup if i do change cars.

dgrobs 12-24-2018 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by wwlee (Post 15518037)
Yes - had the pleasure meeting you at WGI. Tracking an unmodded 981S on street tires/stock suspension. I agree on the importance of a hans/harness/seats. For now I have a Hybrid Simpson S Hans (compatible w/ 3 point seat belt)...and will probably do the full upgrade after the coming season - not sure if i'm keeping this car yet. I was able to get my hands on an AiM Solo2DL, and was looking into getting a smartycam to make more use of the AIM device - I figure this setup is pretty transferable from my current car to a potential future one. Might be a bit of a pain to transfer the seats/harness/rollbar setup if i do change cars.

If you already have the Aim Solo 2 DL, no brainer to pick up the SCHD. They work great together. Again, I cannot recommend Matt enough. I'm sure Peter is great too, but I've only done this business with Matt and he hasn't steered me wrong yet.
Get the SCHD.
Get the SCHD and you're done...

Tripp993 12-24-2018 02:11 AM

I have a aim solo and have used the smarty cam but after seeing the VBOX I was sold! I have just purchased my new VBOX and love it. The support is amazing, it's quick to look up data in between secessions and can overlay 6 different laps at the same time. I'm still figuring it out but I would pay double the money to have a VBOX over AIM. The only thing I like better about the AIM is how the predictive lap timer and current lap time read on my AIM SOLO display unit so I'm actually still running it along with the Race Logic HD VBOX 2 camera system.