Sponsored by:

Porsche and iRacing unveil $100K World eChampionship

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 12:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,332 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Agreed. In twenty-five years of using sims as a training/coaching tool, I'm still not convinced motion is more of a benefit than a distraction.

I have time in Cruden Hexapods, Simcraft and a bunch of others and the latency, slop in the mechanical components through transitions and incredible importance of proper calibration (so it's not too exaggerated) really gets in the way, IMO.

I used the Frex a long time ago and liked that, and am impressed with the D-Box platforms, but every personal sim that I have put together over the last two-plus decades has been a static sim.

As RobertR1 says, a rigid, well constructed frame connecting the seat with the wheel and pedals, a good wheel and high end pedals will get you 95% of the way there...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-22-2018, 02:55 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertR1

Try Assetto Corsa. I believe that car is in there.
It is and there are some great 3rd party tracks as well. Watkins Glen for example is fantastic in the GT4 and offered for free 3rd party.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:09 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I have that motion seat on my rig. It’s quite good but know it’s more of a nice add on than an essential component. I enjoy it but if it’s off, my times and consistency are not impacted. An hour long session with motion and VR on Nords with a Zonda R is exhausting and stressful!

The adjustability of motion platforms is a double edged sword. In theory, all the motion should come from the game engine meaning the level of movement per car and track should be just handed to the platform which maps it on a 1:1 basis and clips any info it can’t execute. However the motion platforms instead try to approximate so in an extreme example, you can have a GT3 car dive and squat like a MX5! Clearly this creates some concerns how about the queues you are feeling and responding might be inaccurate and thus giving you false muscle memory.

For a core setup, an aluminum 8020 rig with a direct drive wheel and high end pedals is where the budget should be focused first.
Originally Posted by ProCoach
Agreed. In twenty-five years of using sims as a training/coaching tool, I'm still not convinced motion is more of a benefit than a distraction.

I have time in Cruden Hexapods, Simcraft and a bunch of others and the latency, slop in the mechanical components through transitions and incredible importance of proper calibration (so it's not too exaggerated) really gets in the way, IMO.

I used the Frex a long time ago and liked that, and am impressed with the D-Box platforms, but every personal sim that I have put together over the last two-plus decades has been a static sim.

As RobertR1 says, a rigid, well constructed frame connecting the seat with the wheel and pedals, a good wheel and high end pedals will get you 95% of the way there...
Interesting - thanks for the feedback. I do have 80/20 and great pedals and wheel. My goal is to get closer to realism for the real world track not necessarily iRacing top lap times as we all know their are guys out there with cheap gear running alien lap times. Robert - would you have bought the motion sim if you had it to do all over again or not worth it in the end? I agree it is about calibration - I have a guy that is amazing at iRacing set ups and is a real world racer, etc.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:59 PM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tlisotta
Interesting - thanks for the feedback. I do have 80/20 and great pedals and wheel. My goal is to get closer to realism for the real world track not necessarily iRacing top lap times as we all know their are guys out there with cheap gear running alien lap times. Robert - would you have bought the motion sim if you had it to do all over again or not worth it in the end? I agree it is about calibration - I have a guy that is amazing at iRacing set ups and is a real world racer, etc.
I do like it but it’s more of a fun to have than a necessity. I’ll put it this way, I rather have this than spend a lot more on more complex systems that are also noisy but come with the same caveats.

In VR, it does create a new level of immersion but I wouldn’t go as far as to say more immersion = more realism. Without VR, I don’t think I’d bother.

Speaking of iracing, I just got into it from having put about 60hrs into AC as my only sim experience. We should do a MX5 hot lap challenge for the rennlist crew! Fixed setup and pre defined conditions.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:00 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

I do like it but it’s more of a fun to have than a necessity. I’ll put it this way, I rather have this than spend a lot more on more complex systems that are also noisy but come with the same caveats.

In VR, it does create a new level of immersion but I wouldn’t go as far as to say more immersion = more realism. Without VR, I don’t think I’d bother.

Speaking of iracing, I just got into it from having put about 60hrs into AC as my only sim experience. We should do a MX5 hot lap challenge for the rennlist crew! Fixed setup and pre defined conditions.

I'm in for hot lap challenge
Old 12-22-2018, 04:10 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I just built a nice 80/20 rig, a direct drive steering wheel, thrustmaster shift, for now using ECCI pedals until my other pedals arrive. I have been using VR but went back to three monitors. I get banged around here and there racing against some of the others but i enjoy the challenge of getting faster. There are some crazy aliens out there that are wicked fast!!!
Old 12-22-2018, 04:58 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback. I don't have VR as I tried it once - the granularity bothered me vs triples (resolution). I am in for hot laps assuming the wife, 2 kids, job, etc doesn't get in the way of the time and day you schedule it. BTW - is AC any good vs iRacing for real world practice? It is interesting how hard the 991 Cup is to drive for me. The RSR is so much easier. The CUP understeers like crazy and takes a lot of finesse IMO.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:16 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by matt33
For those who haven’t tried... the Ruf track car (based on the 997 GT3) is great fun and to me pretty realistic.

An aggressive initial brake pedal to help the front end bite, rotate the car and then use throttle to control the slip.. incredibly satisfying drive but does take some time to master.

Highly recommend it (and the new F3 car)
For those that have a real 997 or 991 CUP car or have driven them - is the RUF RT12R Track Car in iRacing more realistic to how they drive? I feel so much more comfortable in the RUF car vs the 991CUP. I used to have a 997 street car that I tracked and it feels similar to the RUF car as far as the Porsche characteristic. The 991 CUP in iRacing has a lot of understeer and very sensitive (I have a great wheel and pedals). I can't image a 991 CUP being that hard to drive as others have noted they are a pleasure to drive in real life. Am I missing something - maybe set up? Seems like others feel the same way about the 991 in iRacing as well.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:16 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 278 Posts

I tried to buy the sim, via Steam for PC, and can't! I was able to create an account but keep getting server errors when I try and log in and buy the game. Is there a secret handshake I don't know about?
Old 12-23-2018, 06:32 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jakermc
I tried to buy the sim, via Steam for PC, and can't! I was able to create an account but keep getting server errors when I try and log in and buy the game. Is there a secret handshake I don't know about?
It has been a long time since I installed it. Have you tried to go to the iRacing.com website and hit the "sign up" under the membership section? Maybe that is the missing ingredient? Or redo the download.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:14 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tlisotta
It has been a long time since I installed it. Have you tried to go to the iRacing.com website and hit the "sign up" under the membership section? Maybe that is the missing ingredient? Or redo the download.
Sorry, meant to say the problem is with Assetto Corsa. iRacing works like a dream.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:37 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

Anyone have a 991 cup setup they like that they would share
Old 12-24-2018, 01:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,332 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Sorry, meant to say the problem is with Assetto Corsa. iRacing works like a dream.
Go through Steam now.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:39 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,900 Likes on 978 Posts

I've been testing a pretty nice system at VR Motion Labs and ready to pull the trigger. It has traction loss, which adds a lot to the realism of the system. I was pretty hot on adding D-box motion to the system as well for what I thought would be the ultimate setup but have been talked out of it. The systems I've tried that utilize D-box seem to have a lot of latency as highlighted by others, which renders the feedback unnatural. I've also been converted to VR headset after testing them. That said I tried the latest HTC Vive Pro last week and was unimpressed. It's supposed to have more pixels so better clarity but I found the focal point so small that it create a lot of unwanted movement in the visual. I guess some people are swapping out the lenses to fix the issue but not sure I'd want to do that on a brand new headset (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ckPBhIlkX0&feature=youtu.be).

Overall I find sim very useful as a training tool. Yes, there's no butt dyno so you don't get G-forces, but everything else is highly applicable. I compared my data traces and lap times from NJMP race in 991.2 Cup to iRacing data output and traces and lap time similarities are impressive. Knowing that the physics are that accurate will give me the confidence to use the sim in prepping for a new track or trying various strategies to improve times at familiar tracks and taking those into the real car.

Personally prefer driving the Cup over the RSR. RSR is fun and all but there's so much aero at work that it feels less involving.

Last edited by Nizer; 12-25-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:53 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Go through Steam now.
All good now, Steam must have been having a server issue. Now how do I get Sebring downloaded and then recognized as available in the AC app?

Quick Reply: Porsche and iRacing unveil $100K World eChampionship