Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bondurant Re-Opens: RL'rs in PHX - eyes on STATUS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 12:22 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Bondurant Re-Opens: Great Coaches and Facilities - GREAT FUN!

It is reported that Bondurant is open again.

"There is good news for the many people who had scheduled an instructional program at the Bob Bondurant Racing School – the facility has reopened under temporary management. Under the guidelines of the Chapter 11 bankruptcy process, United States Bankruptcy Court appointed Timothy Shaffer as Bondurant’s new Chief Restructuring Officer. He will be responsible for leading the business through the process of making good on its past financial liabilities. "

I pre-paid early this year for a class that is (was) scheduled for December 10. Anyone in the Phoenix area with information on if they are really open?

Last edited by facelvega; 12-17-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:34 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 69 Posts

A coworker told me he just sent his kids there to do a teen driving course. He obversed and said they had a good experience.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:17 AM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, at our club race (ProAutoSports) over thanksgiving weekend which uses part of Bondurant’s track, they mentioned to us in the driver meeting that Bondurant school is in fact open. Also mentioned that if any of us were interested in a job, let them know as Bondurant was looking for staff.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:44 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

A live person answered the phone, and said that my class was going forward next week, so I bought air / hotel / car for the class. Should be in Hellcat 3 days, then in formula car the last day. Will report on status - if anyone else has a prepaid class, let me know if I can check on status for your class....

Old 12-17-2018, 07:14 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Just back from a 4-day course at Bondurant, and I have to say it was fantastic. The facilities, the cars, the tracks, the instructors – all were top notch.

By way of reference, I did a 4-day course at Skip Barber several years ago (Laguna Seca), and the Bondurant experience blew that away. Also, lots of track days with PCA, BMWCCA, and some private coaching.

There was a reasonable amount of classroom time, but the bulk of the time was spent in cars. This is very definitely a SCHOOL. The cars and the track are set up for teaching, and they are VERY effective at doing it. The work I did in the skid cars was like a great light bulb coming on – I really get how quiet hands can control the car, and made huge progress.There was an instructor for every three students, and we would do long open track sessions where you would be given a skill to work on, then they would watch from the corners to see how you did, then ride with you a lap or two to give active coaching, then drive a lap or two to demonstrate what you are going for, then put you back out to work on it. That cycle went on over and over through the class, and allowed me to make rapid progress.

I was there for driving skills, but several of the students were going racing, and got their SCCA certificate.

It was good value for me. Driving someone else’s car (Dodge Hellcats – very fun), I burned through two sets of tires and a set of brake pads. The last day we were in Formula Mazda open wheel cars.

A few videos:

Formula Mazda lap:

Me in a Hellcat lap:

Some instructor comments:

Autocross:

PICTURES:

Cars:

Training track:

Skid cars:

Skid training area:

The ugly fight for control of the school at the stockholder level has not hurt the great value and spirit at the track level. The instructors were smart, high energy and very effective. The mechanics kept the cars in top shape, and we were hammering them hard. If you are looking to improve your driving, ignore the control fight drama and talk to the folks at the school – they will get you to the next level!

Old 12-17-2018, 07:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 757 Posts

That's great to hear, Jim !
Old 12-17-2018, 08:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Those VBOX HD2's can be made to show throttle, brake, tach and the map with just an OBDII plug in and adding a track.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-17-2018, 09:44 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by facelvega
Just back from a 4-day course at Bondurant, and I have to say it was fantastic. The facilities, the cars, the tracks, the instructors – all were top notch.

By way of reference, I did a 4-day course at Skip Barber several years ago (Laguna Seca), and the Bondurant experience blew that away. Also, lots of track days with PCA, BMWCCA, and some private coaching.

There was a reasonable amount of classroom time, but the bulk of the time was spent in cars. This is very definitely a SCHOOL. The cars and the track are set up for teaching, and they are VERY effective at doing it. The work I did in the skid cars was like a great light bulb coming on – I really get how quiet hands can control the car, and made huge progress.There was an instructor for every three students, and we would do long open track sessions where you would be given a skill to work on, then they would watch from the corners to see how you did, then ride with you a lap or two to give active coaching, then drive a lap or two to demonstrate what you are going for, then put you back out to work on it. That cycle went on over and over through the class, and allowed me to make rapid progress.

I was there for driving skills, but several of the students were going racing, and got their SCCA certificate.

It was good value for me. Driving someone else’s car (Dodge Hellcats – very fun), I burned through two sets of tires and a set of brake pads. The last day we were in Formula Mazda open wheel cars.

A few videos:

Formula Mazda lap:

Formula Mazda Lap

Me in a Hellcat lap:

Hellcat Lap

Some instructor comments:

With the instructor...

Autocross:

Autocross

PICTURES:

Cars:

Training track:

Skid cars:

Skid training area:

The ugly fight for control of the school at the stockholder level has not hurt the great value and spirit at the track level. The instructors were smart, high energy and very effective. The mechanics kept the cars in top shape, and we were hammering them hard. If you are looking to improve your driving, ignore the control fight drama and talk to the folks at the school – they will get you to the next level!

So awesome. Great videos.
Thanks for posting...

Quick Reply: Bondurant Re-Opens: RL'rs in PHX - eyes on STATUS?