Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, a PCA National Instructor, How Was Your Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 08:20 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Welcome to the looney bin.

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Congrats John. Best wishes for continued enjoyment.

One last note - becoming a PCA Nationally trained instructor does not automatically guarantee that you may instruct with any PCA region. In many cases you will be accepted, but it’s up to each individual chief instructor to determine if your experience meets their criteria. This is a common misperception amongst instructors who have passed the training.
+1 in general but some regions have banded together and established a common criteria
Old 11-30-2018, 11:53 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts
Default The Best Advice

My best advice is to listen to your gut. If you FEEL a student is driving too fast or above their skill level - then slow ‘em down and make them focus on some specifics. If they do well the speed will increase “organically”. If they aren’t listening then pit in and have a chat - a serious chat. Don’t put yourself at risk because you don’t want to rain on their parade. If your gut says it’s a problem - it’s a PROBLEM. Address it NOW. Safety first. Your chief instructor will back you every time. It’s rare - but it can happen.
This is the best advice. ^^^^^^
I've been right seat for three barrier impacts with students this year, and in every case I recall thinking, "I need to bring him in next lap for a talk." In each case, I waited too long. As instructors, we are taught to make sure the student has a good time. But, in fact, our most important task is to make sure no one gets hurt. There are organizations out there that won't back an instructor who pulls a recalcitrant student off the track. Those are organizations you don't want to teach for.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:27 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Congratulations - it is a big accomplishment. CVR gives out a red instructor hat and I walked a little taller for a few track days when I first got mine.

Originally Posted by TXE36
Congrats.

The real student from hell is a lot worse than the fake ones in ITS.

Fortunately most students by far aren't that and instructing opens up a new world and makes you a better driver as well. I enjoy it enough that I'll instruct when I don't have a car - something I never understood as a student.

-Mike
Originally Posted by DTMiller
Agree with all of this.

The problem with the fake student from hell is that you know that the guy is just acting and there isn't real, visceral fear. When the real student from hell shows up, you'll know it.
This.

I was handed my student card at the beginning of the day and was warned "the last instructor said he had his hands full so be careful with this guy." I walked up to the student and when I saw him I realized I was the last instructor who wrote that comment!

I've found my instructing experience very rewarding especially when you get that one student where it all clicks and you know you really helped them.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:42 PM
cmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats John... The certificates are a nice touch!
Old 11-30-2018, 01:45 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The certificates are a nice touch![/QUOTE]

I agree, a really nice touch
I never got one in UCR
Old 11-30-2018, 02:58 PM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for your time and commitment to the PCA DE Program
Pete
Old 11-30-2018, 03:41 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I recently had the bookend experience to the OP. I presented the national training to our region’s newest instructors. Our candidates put in 10/10th’s effort in the classroom and on track with their mentors. I found it a thoroughly gratifying experience.

My advice for new instructors? Students learn best when they’re having fun, getting helpful criticism while practicing their skills.
And
No good deed goes unpunished.
Congrats to the OP and welcome to the instructors’ meeting!
Old 11-30-2018, 03:43 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Congrats!
I've been doing it for about 7 years and find it very gratifying.
They say to be a better driver you need seat time and to listen to others.
The same is for instructing, only it's the other seat.
Enjoy!
Old 11-30-2018, 04:03 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Congratulations
Coming from the other point of view.
The Left Seat.
I am progressing through the instructed run groups with PCA, now in yellow.
Some of my fellow yellow group drivers were signed off to go Solo Yellow.
While I think I learn something from every lap with an instructor next to me, I think I am much more comfortable, with an instructor for now
The last few DEs, the sessions toward the end of the weekend. My instructors were more observing what I had been taught over the weekend, and wanting verbal play by play from me as I progressed with my newly absorbed skills.
As a student, I want to thank my past instructors and all the other instructors out there, who have gone through the training to make it safe for me and others to learn how to enjoy our Porsches.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:31 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

My best advice is to listen to your gut. If you FEEL a student is driving too fast or above their skill level - then slow ‘em down and make them focus on some specifics. If they do well the speed will increase “organically”. If they aren’t listening then pit in and have a chat - a serious chat. Don’t put yourself at risk because you don’t want to rain on their parade. If your gut says it’s a problem - it’s a PROBLEM. Address it NOW. Safety first. Your chief instructor will back you every time. It’s rare - but it can happen.
+1

I almost included this in my first response: my biggest regret in how I handled my student from hell is I was too nice to him. I allowed some things before I dropped the hammer - I should have dropped the hammer sooner and harder. This lesson has already been applied as things can get out of hand quickly with the "wrong" student.

I'm already pretty good about regulating a student's speed. Ain't no way in hell I'm letting them go "flat out" unless I'm comfortable. The way to do this without ruining the fun is to verbalize why I'm doing it and what I'm looking for in order to let up on the leash.

-Mike
Old 12-01-2018, 09:39 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats- You learn from both seats .
Old 12-01-2018, 02:27 PM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations, John!
Old 12-02-2018, 09:30 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats John. Best wishes for continued enjoyment.

You learn a lot from the right seat, and there is no question it’ll make you a better driver. I believe it has also made me significantly more patient.

I had one student who didn’t respond to my instruction. We pitted in (I used hand signals) and I learned that his ear piece had fallen out of place and he couldn’t hear me. Rather than let me know he wanted to keep going. We fixed the isssue and went back out. Sometimes they get “frozen” or are protective of their session time - but do the safe thing every time.

One last note - becoming a PCA Nationally trained instructor does not automatically guarantee that you may instruct with any PCA region. In many cases you will be accepted, but it’s up to each individual chief instructor to determine if your experience meets their criteria. This is a common misperception amongst instructors who have passed the training.
^^^Words to live by.

OP, Congrats. (I wish I could say my personal experience with Suncoast was as positive as yours, but that's beside the point.)

I've been extremely fortunate to be mentored in my instructing career by many of the greatest instructors I encountered when I was early on.

These friends helped me set the standards, wrote out chapters on instrcting, sent me check sheets and so on.
After my first few events instructing, they debriefed with me in great detail. Through their help Ive steadily gained in skill over my instructing tenure since 2016.
My mentors include the above poster needmoregarage, PLNewman, and at least 3 others in my PCA circle of friends.
I would encourage any new instructor to establish such mentoring relationships.

One thing I'll add: Becoming an instructor does not mean we stop learning.
In fact, instructing is a skill unto itself and has a learning curve. It takes time to cultivate these skills.

I started out by asking to work with complete novices and worked my way up to MSF Level 2 certification and now feel comfortable working with intermediate to advanced drivers.

The strongest instructors know how critically important it is to build a relationship with their students, to be fair, and to gain their trust. Same goes for the organizers they work with.

This way, when you have to make that rare tough call, you have a solid foundation from which to do so and your word carries weight.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:37 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
[/left]This is the best advice. ^^^^^^
I've been right seat for three barrier impacts with students this year, and in every case I recall thinking, "I need to bring him in next lap for a talk." In each case, I waited too long. As instructors, we are taught to make sure the student has a good time. But, in fact, our most important task is to make sure no one gets hurt. There are organizations out there that won't back an instructor who pulls a recalcitrant student off the track. Those are organizations you don't want to teach for.
^^^Quite so.
On one occasion I had to find my student another instructor because she didn't trust me or accept instruction.

The one time my student (not the one I reassigned) hit a tirewall, just seconds before that remember thinking "He's driving over his skill." The impact was on the passenger side and it was a 40 year old 911SC with original factory 3 point belts.

That one time was enough for me to purchase a Simpson Hybrid S.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:15 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I had a new experience last weekend. On of my first students from years ago, who was a novice at the time, was in the instructor's meeting Saturday morning. It was his first weekend instructing. Felt good, that whole circle of life thingy.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Finally, a PCA National Instructor, How Was Your Experience?