Sponsored by:

Boschmotorsports ABS

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:06 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
It's my understanding is that one big difference is that street ABS is a safety device and that Constant duty cycle will overheat it while motorsports ABS can handle more aggressive use.
This may be true for the standard toaster (I've never tried), but for the performance stuff the ABS units are plenty reliable. We do tanks of fuel using ABS in every braking zone and we never overheat the ABS unit. Porsche uses the same stuff we do, as do all the other performance manufacturers. The street units have more in common with the Motorsports parts than you'd realize.

#iworkforgm #myopinionismyowncorporaterequireddisclaimer.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:18 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Pretty sure we put more hours on the units during testing than even motorsports units see on track...
Old 12-04-2018, 04:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BWise
This may be true for the standard toaster (I've never tried), but for the performance stuff the ABS units are plenty reliable. We do tanks of fuel using ABS in every braking zone and we never overheat the ABS unit. Porsche uses the same stuff we do, as do all the other performance manufacturers. The street units have more in common with the Motorsports parts than you'd realize.

#iworkforgm #myopinionismyowncorporaterequireddisclaimer.
Originally Posted by 924RACR
Pretty sure we put more hours on the units during testing than even motorsports units see on track...
^^THIS^^
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-04-2018, 09:34 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

This may be an obtuse question but what does the difference feel like between stock and Boschmotorsports? What is the learning curve and how did you learn the new limits?
Old 12-04-2018, 09:41 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 881 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
This may be an obtuse question but what does the difference feel like between stock and Boschmotorsports? What is the learning curve and how did you learn the new limits?
There are really no new limits as it is the same tires contacting the road and the pedal feel when ABS kicks in is the same. One way to get the feel of it is to start with the switch in rain mode and in successive laps you reduce the ABS level until you have minimum intrusion. My goal has always been to dial out as much ABS intrusion as possible.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:42 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

The limits with the Bosch Motorsport (Peter, I'm not sure which one is in my new car, I'll ask Cory) is just go deep into a corner and stand on it. You feel the car dancing a bit but it just stops. No drama. Teves seemed to work the same way to me. Just had that ice mode thing happen twice with two of my codrivers. Never happened to me. I don't use as much pedal force as some people do. Bosch is nice with the feedback on the dash and it's adjustable although I'm clueless what adjustment it needs. That's for my crew I suppose. Thanks to Autometrics who takes care of my car and is a Bosch dealer.

Stu
Old 12-04-2018, 11:02 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

WIth all of these systems, pad selection is important. Pagid has done a lot of work on optimizing some of their compounds for ABS applications and reducing things like ICE mode. Guys like Ian Berwick of Pagid and Chris Brown (ex-MoTeC and author of Squiggly Lines) are experts in this stuff. The seminar Chris did that covered ABS taught me far more about the systems and their implementation than anyone/anywhere else.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:41 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Crank up that **** - which adds wheel slip - until the car loses decel, or starts sliding more than you'd care for (oversteer or understeer, depending on the car).

Of course, that won't work unless you have the Bosch Motorsport unit properly programmed for your car. Wheel circumference and tooth count I've been surprised by some incorrect answers I've seen.

The ABS unit also needs to have proper brake proportioning, often overlooked; make sure your front wheels are locking before your rears! (with ABS off)

Hope that helps...

PS - Matt is ABSITIVELY right about pad selection, a grabby pad can really undermine your efforts to get good brake control. Likewise, too aggressive a rear pad (relative to front) can wreck your brake bias, touching on the proportioning I mention above.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:30 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
PS - Matt is ABSITIVELY right about pad selection, a grabby pad can really undermine your efforts to get good brake control. Likewise, too aggressive a rear pad (relative to front) can wreck your *car*, touching on the proportioning I mention above.
FIFY! I've been amazed at the number of pro drivers / teams who have wrecked cars becuase they did not understand the ABS system and the brake pads they were working with. Some multiple times!

Quick Reply: Boschmotorsports ABS