Sirotkin
3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Who Will Win?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 10:35 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,543 Likes on 2,584 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
We witnessed the downside to the HALO today. Took them an awful long time to get Hulkenberg out of the car because it was upside down.
But it may have protected him during the roll. I'm sure the pros and cons were weighed carefully in deciding to put in the halos, and F1 has a lot of safety engineering resources.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:42 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
But it may have protected him during the roll. I'm sure the pros and cons were weighed carefully in deciding to put in the halos, and F1 has a lot of safety engineering resources.
Great point, the Halo protected Nico during the roll and provided support while his car was upside down, however the Halo also prevented the safety workers from extracting Nico from the car in a timely manner. The x-factor is fire. if the fire at the rear of car was more intense and sustained for a long period, would the Halo be viewed as a net positive or negative in that situation. Interesting, I'm sure F1 will take a look at it.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:33 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,460 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
Great point, the Halo protected Nico during the roll and provided support while his car was upside down, however the Halo also prevented the safety workers from extracting Nico from the car in a timely manner. The x-factor is fire. if the fire at the rear of car was more intense and sustained for a long period, would the Halo be viewed as a net positive or negative in that situation. Interesting, I'm sure F1 will take a look at it.
I'm not saying the Halo doesn't offer some protection but for rollovers the hoop above the driver's head does the job and has been doing the job for years. If the car lands upside down the Halo can become a cage. Nico was "lucky" inasmuch as the car was suspended and wasn't sitting on the ground. He could have unbelted himself but probably didn't want to just tumble down to the ground.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:42 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
No major surprises, Lewis just being Lewis.
He has cemented himself as the biggest ***** in F1. What was that taking-off-his-shirt routine after the podium ceremony? Ugh. Was he trying to impress us with his tattoo's? Posturing for the females in the crowd? Trying to offend the Abu Dhabi people?
Old 11-26-2018, 02:08 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,530 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
He has cemented himself as the biggest ***** in F1. What was that taking-off-his-shirt routine after the podium ceremony? Ugh. Was he trying to impress us with his tattoo's? Posturing for the females in the crowd? Trying to offend the Abu Dhabi people?
I think the latter. Shots of the crowd showed they were not clapping any longer - taking off a shirt in public in a Muslim country, then pointing to his cross must have been a shock to them to say the least. Hamilton does stuff every few weeks or so that boggles the mind. I cant think who was douchier, yesterday, Hamilton or Will Smith’s fake act all day long
Old 11-26-2018, 02:24 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,460 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21

I think the latter. Shots of the crowd showed they were not clapping any longer - taking off a shirt in public in a Muslim country, then pointing to his cross must have been a shock to them to say the least. Hamilton does stuff every few weeks or so that boggles the mind. I cant think who was douchier, yesterday, Hamilton or Will Smith’s fake act all day long
They tried to interview Will Smith on the grid and he said "not now". Are you kidding me?

Pointing to a huge cross tattoo in a muslim country was definitely in bad form. Not that I care but had it been the other way around I would have thought the guy was a dooosh.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:02 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
No argument from me there. I can't imagine why Hamilton would take off his shirt the way he did after the podium ceremony..! Totally bizarre behavior! Sometimes Hamilton does some head scratching things...that was neither in good taste nor proper for F1!
Old 11-26-2018, 04:44 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

It was uncanny how the crowd quieted down when he did that.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:28 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21

Totally agree. Act your age, and to the standard that Mercedes Benz stands for. Secondly, NEVER take off your shirt in a Muslim country, particularly to show off the enormous tattoo of a cross on your back. I have NO IDEA what he was trying to prove, or what message he was trying to send. I've never really liked the guy, but Freddy keeps making decent points about his level and I have to respect that, but goddamn, any idiot would have known that was a fantastically irresponsible and reprehensible thing to do in that place and situation.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:46 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Lewis a truly great driver, but not a great person, and seemingly not even as 'good' a person as the average F1 driver. Even Mad Max isn't as bad.

Serena Williams similarly disappointed me with her entitled diva behavior during the last US Open final.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:43 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by ELange0322
Totally agree. Act your age, and to the standard that Mercedes Benz stands for. Secondly, NEVER take off your shirt in a Muslim country, particularly to show off the enormous tattoo of a cross on your back. I have NO IDEA what he was trying to prove, or what message he was trying to send. I've never really liked the guy, but Freddy keeps making decent points about his level and I have to respect that, but goddamn, any idiot would have known that was a fantastically irresponsible and reprehensible thing to do in that place and situation.
No kidding. Shirt (and pants, usually) stay on for me at all track events I attend. Decorum, I say.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:00 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

Lewis a truly great driver, but not a great person, and seemingly not even as 'good' a person as the average F1 driver. Even Mad Max isn't as bad.

Serena Williams similarly disappointed me with her entitled diva behavior during the last US Open final.
I squinted really hard but I can't connect Serena to this.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:27 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Originally Posted by DTMiller
LOL...I’m with you, that went sideways really fast! How did Serena get dragged into this?
Old 11-26-2018, 10:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
The diva part - feeling that the normal rules and social norms don't apply to them, and whining excessively when things don't go their way.

Sorry, I finally got through watching all my US Open recordings recently, and am still ticked at Serena's terrible behavior.

Quick Reply: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Who Will Win?