Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use "pull up" style lap belts with Racing seat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004 | 12:06 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by M758
My schroth is suposely FIA and SFI cert. I know that NASA will accept an FIA only. Pretty sure PCA would as well. Not sure about SCCA.
FIA homolugated belts are SCCA legal (with the correct tags of course).
Old 01-30-2004 | 12:09 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Bill L Seifert
M758

Thanks, I think I will get the Schroth, mainly because it is good for 5 years. By the way, I found the window net regs in the GCR and there is no time limit on the window net, it just has to have a SFI rating.
Check the SFI rating. If SFI has specified a replacement schedule, then it will apply in SCCA as well.

I wish we could do something about SFI. It's a manufacturer's group just making sure they can increase their sales from all I can see these days.
Old 01-30-2004 | 11:39 AM
M758
Race Director

Geo...
You have it right. It is the SFI group that it driving the 2 year deal. Groups like NASA & SCCA just follow the SFI standards and personally I can't blame them for following those "standards".

If you really want to challenge the 2year rule then challenge SFI. Why does FIA allow 5 years and SFI only two?
Old 01-30-2004 | 11:59 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by M758
Geo...
You have it right. It is the SFI group that it driving the 2 year deal. Groups like NASA & SCCA just follow the SFI standards and personally I can't blame them for following those "standards".

If you really want to challenge the 2year rule then challenge SFI. Why does FIA allow 5 years and SFI only two?
Because SFI is an organization make up of manufacturers of the equipment SFI certifies. SFI used an ancient study, taken out of context to push through a 2 year rule. I'm not a cynical person, but this one really grates at me. I don't believe SFI is acting in any way in the best interests of anyone but the manufacturers selling belts and nets. Holy cats, 2 years on a window net? Who are they kidding?

I did a lot of research on this to bombard the SCCA with opposition, but I went from being unemployed at the time I was gathering information to suddenly being employed again and so busy I didn't have the time to fight this. Even the US military does not keep up this replacement schedule and their usage is incredibly harder than racing. Airplanes are stored outside in direct sun with the belts under canopy. They are exposed to salt water and worse. Same for helicopters.

It's going to take a grassroots effort to expose SFI and to bring them into check.

One thing that pisses me off to no end is there was a big article in Sports Car (the SCCA's monthly magazine) that explained all the testing that SFI does. The problem here is everything they described is ABSOLUTELY 100% DIFFERENT FROM WHAT THEY PUBLISH AS THEIR TESTING PROCEDURES! I know because I wrote to SFI to get a copy of it. This is total BS.

Grrrr...... I'll stop now before I get my blood pressure up. As I said, I'm not a cynical person, but this situation stinks to high heaven.

Quick Reply: Anyone use "pull up" style lap belts with Racing seat?