Jonesing for track time..

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 02:36 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,473 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs

Yup. And you’ll probably see a 3rd one when next season ends. Then a 4th after that, and a 5th after that, and so on..,,,,,
I can’t help the way I’m feeling right now. The track has become a big part of my life, and in a couple years, my kids will be doing track days with me.
I honestly don’t see this end of season withdrawal going away any season soon.
In the near future, I may cross the line into racing as well. Had a long talk with my wife about that last night and we have much more to talk about concerning racing. We’ll see.
Regardless the end of season jones for the track seems to part of me now. I didn’t ask for it, and I didn’t realize how addictive this sport can be. I know now.
Sorry if this thread is redundant. I’ve gotten so much great advice from you folks here on RL that I thought it would be the right place to ask if others felt the same withdrawal that I do.
Sorry for the redundancy. The track now has a grip on me and this end of season jonesing has come with the territory. The sim helps, but I’m alone on my sim. My track friends aren’t there with me. The feeling of g forces in high speed corners isn’t there. The thrill of getting pointed by from a much faster car than mine isn’t there.
The Jones. That’s what’s there. Next season can’t come soon enough.
I was skiing with my kids at Killington this weekend, which is always a blast for me, and then, but as we’re riding up the chairlift, all I’m thinking about is T-10 at The Glen.
Just gonna have to live with it for a while I guess.
Again, sorry for the redundant thread.
It's like going from caffeine to heroin or worse! Plus DE feels like it is free when compared to racing.

"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” Road & Track writer Peter Egan
Old 11-19-2018, 02:49 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
It's like going from caffeine to heroin or worse! Plus DE feels like it is free when compared to racing.

"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” Road & Track writer Peter Egan
Its so true - I resisted racing for years because I was worried about what people say about the addiction.

And they were all correct.

Track days are a vice like smoking or caffeine, racing is METH.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:51 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
Its so true - I resisted racing for years because I was worried about what people say about the addiction.

And they were all correct.

Track days are a vice like smoking or caffeine, racing is METH.
So maybe I should try Heroin and Meth before I try racing? (Just to get the feel for it?)
Old 11-19-2018, 02:58 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

So maybe I should try Heroin and Meth before I try racing? (Just to get the feel for it?)
Maybe a bit cheaper!
Old 11-19-2018, 07:05 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Only 30 days? There are people who would kill to be able to do 10. Be grateful for every day you're able to do, because you never know.

Forgive me, but the loss of Lou Betstadt (discussed in another recent thread), whom I'd run with for years at the Glen, has put me in a bit of an introspective/philosophical mood. I didn't know him well but he was nonetheless very friendly when our paths did cross.

Gary
I was being sarcastic. 30 is the most I've done in one year but Mr. Soggy Pants here did 50 so I only did 30.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:06 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I was being sarcastic. 30 is the most I've done in one year but Mr. Soggy Pants here did 50 so I only did 30.
Well, which it? Mr Soggy Pants or Cupcake? (and don’t say “both”).
Also, what does Soggy Pants mean?
Old 11-19-2018, 08:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

dgrobs, there's a private, low density track day at VIR on Monday a week from today. If you want to come down this Friday and make it a three-day on-track trip, I would be glad to have you as a guest for the Full/Grand Course (Car and Driver Lightning Lap course) VIR Club Member Driving Days on Saturday and Sunday. Track day fees apply, but that would help fix your issues!.Offer good only for you!

I do miss Killington, but it's been forty years since I made that regular run north on I-91 and over 4, from Western Massachusetts. My body moves reasonably well still, in race car. On skis? Not so much!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-19-2018, 08:46 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
dgrobs, there's a private, low density track day at VIR on Monday a week from today. If you want to come down this Friday and make it a three-day on-track trip, I would be glad to have you as a guest for the Full/Grand Course (Car and Driver Lightning Lap course) VIR Club Member Driving Days on Saturday and Sunday. Track day fees apply, but that would help fix your issues!.Offer good only for you!

I do miss Killington, but it's been forty years since I made that regular run north on I-91 and over 4, from Western Massachusetts. My body moves reasonably well still, in race car. On skis? Not so much!
​​​​​​Very generous of you Peter. Thanks so much for the offer, but we're in full family ski mode now.
We're spending Thanksgiving in Colorado and leaving this Weds afternoon so we can ski 4 full days. Catching the red-eye out of Denver Sunday around 10:30pm which gets us back into Newark 3:40am that Monday morning.
I'm gonna drop the kids and wife off at home and head straight to my office, so no way I can make it down to VIR this weekend (and I do need to work once in a while too).
I am coming to grips with my track season being over at this point, but your offer is very nice and generous.
Next season, I will take you up on your generosity for sure, and we can do some coaching/instruction as well. Should be pretty obvious by now how much I love VIR. I just need to get better at that track and I know you can help me do that.
Thanks again for the generous offer. Next season for sure. I am probably going to utilize Matt as well up here next season. I want to get better, and pro coaching is def a way to get there.
Enjoy the rest of your season. May the weather G-ds smile on your remaining track days. Thanks again for your generosity.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:20 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Well, which it? Mr Soggy Pants or Cupcake? (and don’t say “both”).
Also, what does Soggy Pants mean?
Mr. Soggy Pants is my newest former nickname for you Swizzle Stick.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:35 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Mr. Soggy Pants is my newest former nickname for you Swizzle Stick.
Tiny Dancer is my go to term of endearment. You're free to borrow.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:54 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Geesh. What'd I do wrong? Too many track days? Too many ski days? What? Tell me? I'm usually somewhat fairly treated in the circles I run in.
Was it one comment in particular that I made or just my demeanor in general? What am i doing wrong? Too much love and addiction for all things Porsche?
'Where's this all coming from?
Maybe if I just go away for a while things around here will get back to normal.
Sorry if I killed the buzz in here. Geesh. Wasn't my intent. Thankfully no one treats me like this at the track.
I'll just lurk a bit so y'all can get back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Have fun...
Old 11-19-2018, 10:57 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Just goofing around man.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:15 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Just goofing around man.
I know. So was I.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:26 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I know. So was I.
Name:  photo938.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  116.1 KB
Old 11-20-2018, 05:38 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that lion about to chomp down on the zebra's neck after luring him into a false sense of security?
If I was the zebra, I wouldn't fall for that crap.

Quick Reply: Jonesing for track time..