Sponsored by:

Jonesing for track time..

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 05:19 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I feel the same way after each race weekend.

I might organize another private track day at NJMP Thunderbolt once the weather gets back into the high 40s. Will let you know.
I’d take you up on that Frank, if I’m good enough to run with you guys. Be great. Thanks.

Dr911, thanks for posting that link. Tough read but so full of fact.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:55 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs

I’d take you up on that Frank, if I’m good enough to run with you guys. Be great. Thanks
Ha! It’s the attitude, not the speed that counts. Will let you know.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:12 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,458 Likes on 1,955 Posts

I feel the same way after each race weekend.

I might organize another private track day at NJMP Thunderbolt once the weather gets back into the high 40s. Will let you know.
If that happens let me know! I was supposed to be at LRP this past Friday so obviously that didn't happen. It would have been nice to have just one last day on track.

It's going to feel like forever until the PCA race at Sebring in February.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:34 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
It's going to feel like forever until the PCA race at Sebring in February.
Todd, none of us hit the bid on that note Spencer sent around for a trip to Sebring at the end of November. I would have caved like a cheap tent if you and some of the other dudes were going. We could have left the cars with KMW and done a December and a January trip. Sad!
Old 11-17-2018, 10:54 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Attitude is fine. Speed? I’m working on that.
I’m in. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:36 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,458 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
Todd, none of us hit the bid on that note Spencer sent around for a trip to Sebring at the end of November. I would have caved like a cheap tent if you and some of the other dudes were going. We could have left the cars with KMW and done a December and a January trip. Sad!
The biggest problem is I still have all these stupid adult responsibilities like making money and having to pay attention to my wife and stuff like that! It really gets in the way of racing.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:58 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911
Op
Youre not alone. Here is an old thread. Slippery slope.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=898872&page=9

Best wishes,
A
I recall a similar thread from awhile back......
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...light=jonesing

Gary
Old 11-18-2018, 03:19 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

DG, Youre Definitely not alone, I find building a new engine, or dreaming up stuff that i can build and fabricate for the car helps, Aside from that, going to the PRI show next month is something to look forward to (Its real Eye Candy). I always end up meting up with a few people I know and telling stories. Then Skip over to X-mas... and its the 24 hr Race at Daytona to check out, Then onto to Hershey, Stopping in at WGI to see a friend running AER.... Point is, Milestones to look forward to help me get through the winter.. Matter of fact I am going down to MD next week. My Brother-in-law and I are going to RPR to Dyno-Tune his Ls3 944. I also constantly think about how fun that last day at WGI was with Pete A and Rich High five-ing me after I came off the track.... what an absolute blast that was.....

Maybe I could weld you up a Mount for a like a 65" Curved screen TV that could cover your windshield, then you could it in the car in the garage and 'pretend?" Would that help with your withdrawal symptoms?

BTW word on the street is, Niagara is going to Road Atlanta next summer....
Old 11-19-2018, 12:12 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

I used to do arrive and drive / racing schools in the winter to hold off the addiction. Then I realized for the same cost I could store my car in California and do a few track DE weekends a winter.

Not taking a break means my skills keep building, rather than starting off foggy in the spring like I used to.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:47 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
I .......I could store my car in California and do a few track DE weekends a winter.

Not taking a break means my skills keep building, rather than starting off foggy in the spring like I used to.
I was heartsick from having an off season. So, the past two winters I kept the car in FL.

SO many pros to having no off-season.

Between November and February I did approximately5-6 events each winter.
More fun, building skills, establishing a second home track at Sebring are obvious pluses .

The cons of having such an active winter driving season were more subtle and didn't sink in until later. Fatigue, holiday stress compounded, burnout, expenditure on family time, expansion of travel and car maintenance/repairs budget.

In essence, by making all these efforts for avoiding an off-season, I learned that I actually kind of needed it.

Go figure.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:51 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbuff
I recall a similar thread from awhile back......
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...light=jonesing

Gary
Yup. And you’ll probably see a 3rd one when next season ends. Then a 4th after that, and a 5th after that, and so on..,,,,,
I can’t help the way I’m feeling right now. The track has become a big part of my life, and in a couple years, my kids will be doing track days with me.
I honestly don’t see this end of season withdrawal going away any season soon.
In the near future, I may cross the line into racing as well. Had a long talk with my wife about that last night and we have much more to talk about concerning racing. We’ll see.
Regardless the end of season jones for the track seems to part of me now. I didn’t ask for it, and I didn’t realize how addictive this sport can be. I know now.
Sorry if this thread is redundant. I’ve gotten so much great advice from you folks here on RL that I thought it would be the right place to ask if others felt the same withdrawal that I do.
Sorry for the redundancy. The track now has a grip on me and this end of season jonesing has come with the territory. The sim helps, but I’m alone on my sim. My track friends aren’t there with me. The feeling of g forces in high speed corners isn’t there. The thrill of getting pointed by from a much faster car than mine isn’t there.
The Jones. That’s what’s there. Next season can’t come soon enough.
I was skiing with my kids at Killington this weekend, which is always a blast for me, and then, but as we’re riding up the chairlift, all I’m thinking about is T-10 at The Glen.
Just gonna have to live with it for a while I guess.
Again, sorry for the redundant thread.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:55 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr911

In essence, by making all these efforts for avoiding an off-season, I learned that I actually kind of needed it.

Go figure.
I need the off-season to pay for the just-completed season

Gary

Old 11-19-2018, 10:01 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I only did 30 days this year.
Only 30 days? There are people who would kill to be able to do 10. Be grateful for every day you're able to do, because you never know.

Forgive me, but the loss of Lou Betstadt (discussed in another recent thread), whom I'd run with for years at the Glen, has put me in a bit of an introspective/philosophical mood. I didn't know him well but he was nonetheless very friendly when our paths did cross.

Gary
Old 11-19-2018, 11:17 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,339 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Old 11-19-2018, 11:19 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GPA951s

BTW word on the street is, Niagara is going to Road Atlanta next summer....
I also heard another advanced WGI date was added, and Oktoberfast is now Septemberfast as well. You hear that?

Quick Reply: Jonesing for track time..