Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts
Default Bondurant shuts down amid bankruptcy

https://journal.classiccars.com/2018...UuBCRNYvWmcSHE
Old 11-14-2018, 06:06 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Yeah, hate to see it happen but 50 years is a helluva run. Boy, he's gotta be in his mid/late 80s by now; he's been into it forever......since it's Chap 11 maybe they can sort things and reopen at some point. Either way, the guy's an American institution

Gary
....still have a (well-faded) copy of "Bob Bondurant on High-Performance Driving"......
Old 11-14-2018, 06:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

A shame. I think Pat had a lot to do with this.

Staff and instructors sent home in the middle of the day, during a program!

Smh...
Old 11-14-2018, 07:12 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

I have a prepaid 2 day school
Old 11-14-2018, 07:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
A shame. I think Pat had a lot to do with this.

Staff and instructors sent home in the middle of the day, during a program!

Smh...
Pat?
Old 11-14-2018, 07:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Pat?
His latest wife. Signs the checks (or not). Left in the middle of the day after terminating everyone before they could get to the office to ask what was going on, so they say.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:24 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Feel bad for the staff, I did a few advanced racer schools with them, Viper ACR and Vette platforms and always had great instructors. 2-3 per class and tons of seat time. Hope they can sort out the financial mess and get back to business. Only complaint was the tracks are well worn and need a refresh.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
His latest wife. Signs the checks (or not). Left in the middle of the day after terminating everyone before they could get to the office to ask what was going on, so they say.
Wow
Horrible!
Old 11-15-2018, 12:11 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Think skippy and BobB...once the principals leave a business or get too old to actively manage it the rest of the crew really has no idea what made the business successful. It is an unfortunate story repeated over and over again. Even kids handed a free family business with no debt often destroy said business.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:50 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
I have a prepaid 2 day school
same.....pretty sure I know what they are going to tell me when I call.

Hopefully the reservation will find someone willing to take over operations, would be a shame to lose this school given how many people filter through it as an introduction to the sport with their dodge/fiat purchase.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:14 AM
Gonzogonzilla
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Too bad

I took his course about a year ago. Bob was there and though he’s been slowed by time, mini-strokes and accident, he seemed fully in control, observing the students and commenting. But, what goes on in the office is another story.

I’ll be on his course this weekend with NASA, and they tell me the course, which is owned by a Native American tribe has it open for business.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:51 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Think skippy and BobB...once the principals leave a business or get too old to actively manage it the rest of the crew really has no idea what made the business successful. It is an unfortunate story repeated over and over again. Even kids handed a free family business with no debt often destroy said business.
Skip Barber School was ruined by VC money. Skip Sold it a long time ago, but it's making a comeback.

Sad to see another long term school go, but I'm sure others will start. The prevalence of more and more private coaches probably doesn't help, but times change.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:05 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

A number of years ago they hired me to help with some of their very discreet executive protection programs, and the whole crew I worked with (other instructors as well as staff) seemed very professional. I probably did this for them on and off for 5 years, when I was in the US and not on another contract. Mr B occasionally popped his head into some of the classes to express appreciation for the clients. He is a true patriot and seemed a very funny guy. That was the extent of my interaction
With him or the school
Old 11-15-2018, 09:11 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I disagree. Bob is a great guy, but he had a very dedicated group of prople that led that school long after he stopped with the day to day oversight. Often, these groups cycle through, with a strong lead instructor or instructors and a well-oiled support staff, over a few rotations. But over time, energy, motivation, those effective evangelist instructors and capital (read: operating cash) ebbs. Then, the owner discovers there’s not enough to operate anymore. That appears to be the case here.

In Skip’s case, he was more active than Bob in leading the school and setting up the all important OEM relationships that all top level schools have. Things like the supply of cars, tires, title sponsors, the all important ride and drive programs (which are much more profitable than schools), as well as school race series, which keeps people coming back.

It’s a tough model. The instructors and mechanics work there to get exposure and ride the pro racing coattails out of that subsistence gig into the whirl of pro racing. The owners are constantly looking to sign long term contracts with suppliers, tracks, sponsors and OEM’s, but for Bondurant, there was just an inexorable decline in subscriptions that even the FCA deal couldn’t make up. A shame.

I think when it became clear that Bob’s money was going out to support the school, and there was no good even short term prospect of turning that around, Pat pulled the plug.

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Skip Barber School was ruined by VC money. Skip Sold it a long time ago, but it's making a comeback.

Sad to see another long term school go, but I'm sure others will start. The prevalence of more and more private coaches probably doesn't help, but times change.
Well, not quite. While VC money bought the school from Skip in 1999, and he was fully out by 2001, it was the leader of that buyout, Michael Culver, who very soon after that got greedy, bought all his other partners out and went it alone until he cratered the school in spectacular and tragic fashion in 2016. The model was profitable enough to attract those guys, and Skip is NOT a sentimental man!

Some say that the sale around the turn of the millennium ushered in one of the best periods of the school, with a collection of instructors unparalleled in their experience and effectiveness, good, stable long term contracts with OEMs, a great ride and drive program headed by Don Harple and four major “bases” around the country (Laguna Seca, Road America, Sebring and Lime Rock) giving truly nationwide coverage. It was a fantastic time, one that I’ll remember with fond memories.

But the model, especially on that scale, depends on many moving parts to keep going. Culver bought the Panoz School and established a base at Road Atlanta, and to pay for rapidly mounting losses, began cutting programs, reducing wages, deferring maintenance on capital equipment around the time the economy went into freefall. Make no mistake, Culver was the driver who began to crash the car, and it was going fast enough so when it finally wrecked, the debris field was very large and a lot of people were injured... financially and emotionally.

In 2011, he closed the original corporate office and call center in Lakeville, near Lime Rock, which had between 35-50 full time employees at the peak, and moved everything to a metal building at Road Atlanta. It dissembled quickly from there. By then, long time SBRS ride and drive guys had gone out on their own and become successful themselves, like Radius and others, long time instructors had moved to other schools, with a few top level guys going on to start and run the Lucas Oil School (Todd Snyder, Randy Buck) and LevelUp Racing School (Peter Stolz, Jim Pace, Terry Lee, Keith Watts and Steve Debrecht). Some went to competitors for a short while (Bruce MacInnes, Divina Galica) and some went out on their own or developed their already significant private coaching businesses (Mike Zimicki, Rob Slonaker, Lee Carpentier, Jim Pace, Andy Lally, Andrew Davis, Spencer Pumpelly and others). The diaspora, we called it...

As a matter of fact, in the darkest days of 2010-2011, a group of instructors investigated the idea of buying the school from Culver, such was the desire to "save" what truly was not only a great school, but a great culture. Sadly, Culver was in so deep by that time, he put an astronomical price on what was essentially a mailing list, and the hounds (tracks, instructors, suppliers) were already baying at the door, by that time.

After a a few hiccups, Demonte Motorsports, who operated a successful Mustang ride and drive program, made a successful bid for the name, the school, the IP and, over the last few years, made a GREAT effort to bring it back the way it originally hummed at its peak. So much so, that some of the stalwarts who began with Skip in 1975 and soon thereafter, have come back on staff. Bruce, Terry Lee and others, no longer shackled by the relentless cost cutting and corrosive atmosphere of the Culver regime, are again inspiring and mentoring new graduates, and returning students of the sport. It’s cool, and I think Demonte, at the head of the school, is both an enthusiast and a good businessman who “gets it.”

Schools have their place, and if properly run, inculcate proven, time tested fundamentals with drills, facilities and equipment that private coaches and volunteer schools can’t match. It’s a mistake to discount the value of attending a well run professional program.

Again, sad to see the Bondurant deal go down, but it’s sort of like racing. If you’re not pushing, you’re falling behind...

Last edited by ProCoach; 11-15-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:28 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 415 Posts

+1 Seen this many times across the spectrum of business categories.

I saw the wheels coming off of Skip Barber in June of 2015 at a 3-day racing school I attended at Streets of Willow. Things went so badly that about 2 weeks after the event they offered everyone from that 3-Day school a free 2-day Advanced Racing School. I replied to that free school offer with a lengthy email detailing what went down at the 3-day from the student's perspective. I never took up their 2-day offer due to safety concerns I had with the equipment. By the end of that 3-day there were only 6 cars running out of 12, some retired by the chief instructor due to him discovering several fuel cells had passed expiration dates, others retired due to mech/elec issues. By a couple of years later they had filed bankruptcy. They owed tracks around the country a ton of money for track rental fees. I guess that's how they kept going as long as they did, paid enough staff and did barely enough maintenance to keep things going but used their reputation and credit to get tracks secured for events.

I wish they were still around in the old format they used, formula cars and Miatas. I learned a ton at their 1-day and 3-day racing schools I attended. I liked the formula cars; very basic, no power anything, no ABS, no stability control, and a sequential gearbox that required heel-toe downshifting.

Quick Reply: Bondurant shuts down amid bankruptcy