Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock seats with harness guides?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004 | 04:59 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by JCP911S
Also, have a problem with mixing belt types.... maybe they have both been demonstrated effective... but together?... just another unanswered safety question
I agree: the stock belts are designed to tighten up and not allow any movement, while the racing harnesses are designed to stretch in an impact. While both types of restraints have their benefits, mixing the two may yeild some unpredictable results!

-Zoltan.
Old 04-05-2004 | 05:43 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

The head DE scrutineer in my region mentioned to me a few months ago that they are seriously considering putting out a bulletin that the region prefers proper 5 point capable seats. This means slots in the seat back and in the seat bottom for the sub strap. I am at the point of adding harness's for DE so I got a set of Tenzos and five point harness's. Hey, can anyone tell me how or provide a picture of how the shoulder and substraps hook up to the central latch. can't figure it out.
Old 04-05-2004 | 05:45 PM
PT
Racer

And to beat the dead horse once more... don't forget the danger of using harness without rollcage / rollbar...
Old 04-05-2004 | 06:08 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Dave Turner Motorsports carries a webbing piece designed to slip over the stock seat and provide guide loops through which the shoulder harnesses pass. This is what I've used in the last year or so since the region instituted stricter requirements for harnesses with stock seats. It cost around $30 and fit the bill for me just fine.

No commercial interest, just passing it along.

They're at www.daveturner.com
Old 04-05-2004 | 06:23 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dave! That's just what I've been looking for...
Old 04-06-2004 | 01:17 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Be cautious... just because something looks like it should work, doesn't mean it will in a high G impact.... there are real questions about the function of 5-points with stock seats.... haven;t seen any convincing test data showing it is safe.... even with the cutouts.... although that does address several of them...

I ride in students cars with 5-points and stock seats, but I must admit, it makes me just a bit nervous... mabe I'm just paranoid about it
Old 04-06-2004 | 11:17 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

What about using a dual sub strap that is attached at the same location as the lap belts but runs under the driver's legs.? Is this acceptable?

Thanks again,

Noel

Quick Reply: Stock seats with harness guides?