Sirotkin
0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Brazilian Grand Prix - Who Will Win?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,526 Likes on 2,576 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I like Verstappen but he was a complete d*ck for pushing Ocon multiple times in the paddock after the race.
Agreed, very unprofessional and unsportsmanlike, and a blemish for F1. Even if the fault was attributable to Ocon, it's not like Ocon intentionally tried to interfere with Verstappen's race for the win. When highly competitive top drivers - who are still human - are out there racing, things like that will happen.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:19 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

LOL, you guys have short memories.

T
Old 11-12-2018, 01:56 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Max's handling of this incident during and after the race demonstrates the same emotions that led to him getting upset after DR won the pole in Mexico and DR celebrated (rightly so). Everything that happens isn't for Max and about Max as he currently appears to react.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:59 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Neither acted wise in the race or after. Ocon could have waited to unlap himself with DRS on the straight, there was NO reason for the risky move with the leader those corners, his challengers weren't that close. And, Max should have been wise and not assumed Ocon had backed out, as he had more at risk and lost out BIG. Afterward, Max should not have pushed Ocon, however I can see how Ocon could illicit such action. He has a history, recalling his many encounters with Perez, where the two got together and he comes out with his Cheshire cat smile and says he did nothing wrong and doesn't know why the other driver is upset with him. I'm surprised Perez didn't beat the snot out of him long ago. Max and Ocon are both still young with their hormones still somewhat controlling their emotions. Maturity and experience doesn't happen overnight.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:59 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,426 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
Unless the rule says backmarkers are required to play dead, and throw out an anchor at any time a frontrunner is near, this is >90% Verstappen's fault. I know the stewards see it differently than we do. My two cents.
Versstappen got taken out by someone executing a move he himself has made many times. That being said, the only issue with the move for most people is that Ocon was a backmarker and Verstappen was in the lead. Where was Verstappen's maturity to realize the other guy had nothing to lose and he had everything to lose?

On the opposite side of the coin, those calling Verstappen's action immature after the race are living in a bubble. When you get out of the car and feel wronged it would take a personality very different from a competitive race car driver just to act "cool and professional".
Old 11-12-2018, 02:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,891 Posts

951and944S says: LOL, you guys have short memories.

T

FIFY...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 11-12-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I gotta say- if Vettel had been in the lead and Ocon had done this we would be on page 17 of this thread already with guys vilifying Ocon for stealing Vettel's chance. Just an observation.

Great race though. Most entertaining this year.

Debo sends.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:40 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,508 Likes on 2,089 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Here's a great photo montage showing Verstappen's inability to coexist.
This sequence of photos show that VER doesn't have sight of OCON after the top of turn 1. This was a really strange circumstance because if it was a battle for 6th as someone mentioned, then I truly believe it would have been ruled a racing incident and NO PENALTY would have been administered to either because both spun and that would have been penalty enough. However, the fact that a back marker is trying to unlap himself lends more weight to the situation and the obligation of the back marker to do so in a manner that does not create contact. As such, that's is why the FIA gave the penalty.

By the same token, as Hamilton said, Max could have been more careful as he had everything to lose. I don't know if this is the right analogy, but it's like the guy that doesn't lock his front door when he leaves the house and gets robbed. It's the burglars fault, but the guy could have locked the door to make himself less of a target of opportunity. Hamilton is about 10 years older than Max and Hamilton did some pretty bone headed things when he was that age too.

The aggresivenes of Max on the track and after the race only reinforces my belief that he is a future multi WDC -- Give no F's and head down in the style of Senna, Schumacher, etc.

Debo did not send
Old 11-12-2018, 05:08 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Debo18D
I gotta say- if Vettel had been in the lead and Ocon had done this we would be on page 17 of this thread already with guys vilifying Ocon for stealing Vettel's chance. Just an observation.

Great race though. Most entertaining this year.

Debo sends.
Yep...., or Hamilton.

Missing from that Senna video was supposed video of Senna actually clocking Eddie Irvine.

A driver peer of the time, can't remember who, probably Gerhard Berger, told the press that "Senna had taken Judo classes in the off season and was waiting to try it out on somebody"...

Nigel Mansell had a crash that injured his leg around 1990 in the dominant WIlliams.
Mansell was over the top with a limp and some drivers thought he was overreacting.
In a driver's meeting Gerhard Berger, team mate of Senna, tapped him in the leg on purpose just to get a response from Mansell.

Taking away personalities makes for boring robotic racing.

Verstappen had two things to lose, yes, getting punted by a backmarker or getting stuck behind him in the sectors that followed with a 5 time WDC in a dominant car behind him.
Looked/sounded to me that he had full backing of his race engineer and Christian Horner for making the choice he did.

Just ordered myself another Red Bull/Verstappen cap......

T

Old 11-12-2018, 05:18 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by multi21

The aggresivenes of Max on the track and after the race only reinforces my belief that he is a future multi WDC -- Give no F's and head down in the style of Senna, Schumacher, etc.
Yes, agree, I mentioned it here before, but if Max can make a special relationship with Honda, the Japanese reward loyalty by going the extra mile.
They built "special" engine for Senna (according to Prost).
And as far as McLaren going public and making out like all of their deficiencies were Honda's fault, likewise, the Japanese do not take dishoner and public humiliation well.

If you guys caught the post race commentators interviews and talks, one of them made mention that,
McLaren designed their car and told Honda - "this is our car and this is the space you have to fit your engine"
Whereas Red Bull said - "give us the dimensions of the engine and we will build our car around it".

One of those is a winning philosophy, it's obvious which one....

Max Verstappen, WDC 2019-2021.

T

Old 11-12-2018, 05:21 PM
951and944S
Race Car

On a side, unrelated note, the Sauber looked pretty darned good.

LeClerc showed well and if Erikson hadn't had trouble, would have had a good result too.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if Kimi has multiple finishes ahead of LeClerc in the Ferrari next year....?

T
Old 11-12-2018, 05:29 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by ProCoach

FIFY...
Touche'

T

Old 11-12-2018, 06:02 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,526 Likes on 2,576 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
On the opposite side of the coin, those calling Verstappen's action immature after the race are living in a bubble. When you get out of the car and feel wronged it would take a personality very different from a competitive race car driver just to act "cool and professional".
This is why, when one's blood is boiling, it's best to take some time to cool down before doing something one may regret. Otherwise, very bad things can happen. Physical assault is no small thing, and this is just a sport, not a struggle for survival.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:15 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,426 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
This is why, when one's blood is boiling, it's best to take some time to cool down before doing something one may regret. Otherwise, very bad things can happen. Physical assault is no small thing, and this is just a sport, not a struggle for survival.
My helmet has more than a few scratches from being thrown. I'm a much different person after I count to 100 but then again I have never been robbed of an F1 win. In Max's shoes I would have done the same thing.

Mature? No. But I am a grown man who still likes to play with cars. Don't expect 100% maturity.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:36 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,508 Likes on 2,089 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Yes, agree, I mentioned it here before, but if Max can make a special relationship with Honda, the Japanese reward loyalty by going the extra mile.
They built "special" engine for Senna (according to Prost).
And as far as McLaren going public and making out like all of their deficiencies were Honda's fault, likewise, the Japanese do not take dishoner and public humiliation well.

If you guys caught the post race commentators interviews and talks, one of them made mention that,
McLaren designed their car and told Honda - "this is our car and this is the space you have to fit your engine"
Whereas Red Bull said - "give us the dimensions of the engine and we will build our car around it".

One of those is a winning philosophy, it's obvious which one....

Max Verstappen, WDC 2019-2021.

T
Likewise in 2005 & 2006 when the FIA mandated only 1 set of tires for the entire race distance (2005) and then reversed course but the Bridgestone tires still weren't on par with the Michelin's (2006), Michael Schumacher did not throw Bridgestone under the bus or complain about the tires. Everyone knew what the problem was, no need for a driver to point out the obvious, but then again, Schumacher never threw his team under the bus (Benetton or Ferrari) no matter how bad things got so it might be a personality issue.

It might not seem like a very big deal to an American, but to the Japanese having your work, in this case, the engine, called a F2 engine as Alonso did to Honda is very disrepectful to the entire company.

Quick Reply: Brazilian Grand Prix - Who Will Win?