Sponsored by:

SCCA Competion License Renewal Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 10:37 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jadski
Incorrect on the automatic Red group with Chin. I still had to do check out rides with Chin at Sebring and NCM. Not a big deal to schedule check out ride
Understood, thanks.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:02 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Yeah, I'm sure there exists a class of people exempt from check rides but a friend of mine owns the track record in his class at Summit Point and he did a check ride with Chin.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:34 AM
racer.rick
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default did I miss something Peter?

Hey Peter, I'd be happy to read all 722 pages of the kinder, gentler, GCR... or... you could provide the correct answer and not just point me to over SEVEN HUNDRED pages! LOL. Someday - when I'm emperor of the world all club level sanctioning bodies will have the same GCR, and it will fit in your shirt pocket (or be understandable on a mobile device)! We'll race BMWs in PCA, NASA power/weight in SCCA, etc. SIMPLE. FAST. FUN. That's my campaign pitch. VOTE FOR RICK!

OK... I found it - one event! Yea!!!

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Things have changed, Mark. Read your GCR.

Part of being a kinder, gentler Club!

Last edited by racer.rick; 08-10-2022 at 11:39 AM. Reason: updated info with image to help others
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 11:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Hey, I’ll vote for you if you could wave a magic wand and unify every group and regulation!

That would be nice.

If you have a chance, reach out to your Divisional (not local or Regional) Licensing Chair. Sometimes they’ll waive the SCCA requirements in lieu of other competition recognized by SCCA, specifically historic, BMWCCA and PCA CR.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-10-2022, 12:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Participation requirements to keep your SCCA Competition License are 2 VMC Member Vintage Racing Club Vintage races (VMC Member Vintage Racing Clubs have reciprocity with SCCA) or one SCCA race in the last 12 months.

Typically, if the driver has been racing more than a year, but has not raced in the last year, they can obtain a waiver by petitioning the Divisional Licensing Chair for that waiver, citing the GCR section and providing a driving resume.

If it's been a long time, the Divisional Licensing Chair may require additional training or ask for multiple references.

The Divisional Licensing Chair will want a completed application, with all supporting documentation (physical, pictures, waiver) and a check, along with a request for participation requirement waiver based on past experience, to send on to Central Licensing at the National office.

They WANT to make it easy. PCA licenses and races count, BMWCCA licenses and races count, NASA licenses and races count, all VMC member club (http://www.the-vmc.com/member_orgs.htm) vintage licenses and races count. Have fun!
@racer.rick from the 2018 post!
Old 08-11-2022, 01:07 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 531 Likes on 284 Posts

In 2015 I got my SCCA Comp license because I had a PCA license. Did one race weekend in 2015. Every year (or two depending on how I renewed) I would reach out to our Comp licensing director (or whatever her title was) and request a waiver because I was doing PCA races, but not SCCA. She ALWAYS put in a recommendation to the National office and I ALWAYS got my license within a week. Easy...
.....Until 2022, the new guy said he would give me a waiver for 2022 ONLY if I committed to doing a SCCA race - which I did in May at CMP - and said he didn't want to have this discussion again next year because he will deny the waiver.
T2 is a horrible class for a SPC and runs with all the big GT cars, but I did the race so now I should be good for 2023.
So in some ways I guess it depends on the divisional comp license director on how much 'kinder and gentler' SCCA is....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 08-11-2022, 01:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
In 2015 I got my SCCA Comp license because I had a PCA license. Did one race weekend in 2015. Every year (or two depending on how I renewed) I would reach out to our Comp licensing director (or whatever her title was) and request a waiver because I was doing PCA races, but not SCCA. She ALWAYS put in a recommendation to the National office and I ALWAYS got my license within a week. Easy...
.....Until 2022, the new guy said he would give me a waiver for 2022 ONLY if I committed to doing a SCCA race - which I did in May at CMP - and said he didn't want to have this discussion again next year because he will deny the waiver.
T2 is a horrible class for a SPC and runs with all the big GT cars, but I did the race so now I should be good for 2023.
So in some ways I guess it depends on the divisional comp license director on how much 'kinder and gentler' SCCA is....
Unfortunately true…
Old 08-12-2022, 09:25 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Maybe time to switch regions?

Many here in SE Michigan are not members of the expected Detroit Region (SCCA) for various reasons...

Quick Reply: SCCA Competion License Renewal Requirements