Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for entry level arrive and drive on west coast?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 02:18 PM
911ted
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Contact Vali Motorsports in Corona CA for a nicely prepared Porsche Owners Club Boxster race car.
POC = Full year racing schedule, highly competitive, large field of cars in every SPB race. Its all about Porsche racing.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:50 AM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If I had to do it all over again, I would get a coach first. Then go karting with him/her. Then i’d get a car and go to the skid pad with the coach. For like 10 days...Then maybe I’d be ready to hit the track. You will be amazed at how much easier the racing will be once you’ve really learned how to control a car. Tgsmith has the right idea for Northern California. Hard to beat the fun/cost ratio with spec boxster and the GGR group. Classy bunch. And they have fun which is the main goal.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:32 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bkovac
Come on out to the Porsche Owners Club http://porscheclub.com, we frequent quite a few venues anually including some near Las Vegas. We have a very comprehensive DE program with coaching that has lead many to our Cup Schools and racing. PM me and I will get you some additional information. The thing you will find in SoCal is numerous tracks within a 2 hour drive and year round weather ideal for track days.
I second this motion!

Great club, great people, amazing instructors, and all levels of driving from PDS, to Time Trials, to Club Racing with some very good competition.

They go to Spring Mountain which is in Pahrump NV and an amazing track that members have to pay 60K to join.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:18 PM
cobradvm
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm planning on driving my cobra over to Willow Springs just to check out the POC racing on December 1st and 2nd. Is there going to be any practice on November 30th?

Planning to meet up with BKovac and check the whole thing out. Should be fun.

'
Old 11-12-2018, 01:59 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobradvm
I'm planning on driving my cobra over to Willow Springs just to check out the POC racing on December 1st and 2nd. Is there going to be any practice on November 30th?

Planning to meet up with BKovac and check the whole thing out. Should be fun.

'
Just register and go! You will get an instructor to help you out and you can go at your pace.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:15 AM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

There is a Willow Springs Raceway open test day, you pay the track directly that Friday. They have an all day rate and a lower priced afternoon rate. Looking forward to meeting you at our POC event
Old 11-13-2018, 04:09 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks - do you have a link to the Porsche program? I'm not sure if you are referring to POC, PCA or something else? I took a look at the Radical racing series at Spring Mountain - it looks like it would be a good learning experience - they offer two schools - a Radical 2 day course, and the Ron Fellows Racing school in Corvettes. I'm not sure if they lead to getting a racing license or not - it would seem to make more sense to spend the money on a school that would end up with that qualification which is what I think the POC courses do? I'm assuming for any racing series like Spec Boxster or anything else, a racing license from a sanctioning body like PCA or SCCA is required?

https://www.porschedriving.com/porsc...riving--course

A buddy of mine did the Masters RSR course (link above) and had great things to say about the program. He says the level of instruction is top notch and the use of data analysis is very helpful. He has a lot of HPDE experience but not racing so he found this course a good preparation for the step to wheel to wheel racing. Hurley Haywood is the chief instructor and was involved in the instruction and coaching. I plan on taking this program at some point in the fairly near future.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:00 PM
Dennis Black
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what an honor that would be to work with Haywood. Great information
Old 11-15-2018, 07:03 PM
Dennis Black
Track Day

Did not see the open test date on their calendar. I may try this date myself. Alot to learn about my car. Hoping for buttonwillow on 23rd but if that doesnt work, will go to Willow
Old 11-15-2018, 11:22 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

You are correct about the calendar. Give the track a call, it has been my experience Willow always provides a test day before a race weekend. They open the paddock on Fridays for the race attendees to more into the pits
Old 11-21-2018, 01:18 AM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

I just called Willow Springs today and Open Practice is scheduled for Friday November 30th,
Old 11-21-2018, 10:46 AM
cobradvm
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bkovac
I just called Willow Springs today and Open Practice is scheduled for Friday November 30th,
Hi Branimir, I'm still planning on heading over for the weekend, so looking forward to meeting you and checking it all out.

How does open practice work - is it like a DE with point bys or is it open passing?
Old 11-21-2018, 10:56 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Hi Branimir, I'm still planning on heading over for the weekend, so looking forward to meeting you and checking it all out.

How does open practice work - is it like a DE with point bys or is it open passing?
Let me state that for open practice you must pay the yearly membership fee along with paying for the open track day but... They expect you to have a roll bar and harnesses if you plan to drive out on the Big Willow side.

Now with PCA or POC you do not need a roll bar or harnesses to drive with them on any of the tracks they use unless your car is a full race car but that is because they offer Performance Driving School (PDS) which gives you an instructor to work with.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:04 AM
Dennis Black
Track Day

Default Willow Springs open test 11/30

To clarify, I called the Admin office at Willows this afternoon. A very nice manager there answered a few of my questions. I do have a 944 track only car (new to me, and therefore why I need to get some non-competitive time in it). I am not a PCA member yet, and not running on Sat/Sun with the SD group
1. Track is open-test for any track/racecar on friday. No street cars
2. Do not need to be PCA member or part of the SD group running on the weekend
3. They prefer experienced racers on open test dates in order to run smoothly. “Some DE, track time” is acceptable. Basically, be respectful and know basic etiquette. ( stay the hell out of the way of faster drivers)
4. This is generally true of any “open test” date.
Fees are $75 per driver; $75 per car; and an annual $75 track insurance fee.$ 225 in my case, then $150 subsequent dates. Not bad.
There will be NO marshals on course! Only an emergency vehicle/ tow truck on standby. This is much more relaxed/less regulated than Buttonwillow.
8-5 pm. I dont think there is even a drivers meeting to review track rules/track layout.
I hope to make it

Quick Reply: Suggestions for entry level arrive and drive on west coast?