Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to a dedicated track car

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:35 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

What is your target budget? I love the saying “you need to know how fast you can afford to be”. Also the deal you get on the race car can make a huge difference in the overall cost equation. I was in a similar situation as you about 5 years ago. My dual purpose car was at the point where it wasn’t a great street car and wasn’t a great race car. Also, I was getting faster so safety was becoming a larger concern. I jumped right into a Radical SR3 and it was a great solution for me. I got an amazing deal on my car and after 5 years of enjoyment I sold it for about what I paid for it (and it was a great deal for the buyer). Consumables are very affordable because the car is so light. And there is nothing like driving a purpose built, high downforce car with paddle shifting and slicks. However the engine does need to be overhauled every 49 to 80 hours (depending on the engine and how it is driven) and overhauls can cost between $3k to ~$10k+. But for me it was worth every penny. By the way, there are some Amazing deals on Radicals right now. You can see some of them at www.RadicalSportscarRegistry.com, or feel free to PM me your number and I would be happy to point you to others.

Charley

Last edited by CharleyH; 10-16-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:50 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by CharleyH
What is your target budget? I love the saying “you need to know how fast you can afford to be”. Also the deal you get on the face car can make a huge difference in the overall cost equation. I was in a similar situation as you about 5 years ago. My dual purpose car was at the point where it wasn’t a great street car and wasn’t a great race car. Also, I was getting faster so safety was becoming a larger concern. I jumped right into a Radical SR3 and it was a great solution for me. I got an amazing deal on my car and after 5 years of enjoyment I sold it for about what I paid for it (and it was a great deal for the buyer). Consumables are very affordable because the car is so light. And there is nothing like driving a purpose built, high downforce car with paddle shifting and slicks. However the engine does need to be overhauled every 49 to 80 hours (depending on the engine and how it is driven) and overhauls can cost between $3k to ~$10k+. But for me it was worth every penny. By the way, there are some Amazing deals on Radicals right now. You can see some of them at www.RadicalSportscarRegistry.com, or feel free to PM me your number and I would be happy to point you to others.

Charley
I love the Radicals but am concerned about safety with the open cockpit. They make sense and a rebuild every 2 seasons isn't nuts as the low consumable cost makes up for them. I agree about great deals out there right now, even here in Canada.

In terms of budget I was thinking about $40-50k for the car, depends if I end up keeping the 991 really. I'm thinking a $25k 944 would be enough to start with for a season or 2.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:51 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

^ are you in Ontario or PQ/west?
Old 10-15-2018, 09:09 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdistefa
If you are fussing about tire/brake costs DO NOT even think about "an older cup car".
Noted thanks
Old 10-15-2018, 09:10 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdistefa
^ are you in Ontario or PQ/west?
Quebec city, I drive 99% of the time at Tremblant and Calabogie when I make it that far west. I'm not looking to race at this point, just making lapping days safer/more cost effective.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:24 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

^ gotcha

sent you a PM
Old 10-15-2018, 10:01 PM
fnel1771
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Andrew at we-tune has a great cahman gtb1 for sale. Well sorted car. He is in Montreal as I am sure you know

i would pull the trigger on this car for myself but it’s a timing issue for me
Old 10-15-2018, 10:47 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fnel1771
Andrew at we-tune has a great cahman gtb1 for sale. Well sorted car. He is in Montreal as I am sure you know

i would pull the trigger on this car for myself but it’s a timing issue for me
Totally forgot about those guys thanks!
Old 10-15-2018, 10:55 PM
Zax65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
I love the Radicals but am concerned about safety with the open cockpit. They make sense and a rebuild every 2 seasons isn't nuts as the low consumable cost makes up for them. I agree about great deals out there right now, even here in Canada.

In terms of budget I was thinking about $40-50k for the car, depends if I end up keeping the 991 really. I'm thinking a $25k 944 would be enough to start with for a season or 2.
I love my 944 turbo, just posted a vid in the drivers ed section of me catching both a 911 and a GTR. I do brakes every 10 or 12 track days, they are inexpensive. I did the clutch about 20 track days ago. I spend about 1000 bucks a season doing rod bearings, and at about 50 hours or so I will do a light rebuild. Tires, if just track days, are 1400 a set for a set of hoosier r7s, I get about 15-20 heat cycles out of them. Occasionally, I blow up a trans or a motor, they aren't that expensive to source; my last motor was about 4k after finding a decent used one. it's a 2.7, forged internals, guy used it two races and crashed. I have driven my friends' street cars on track; GT4, 991.2 911S, C7 Vette, Alfa 4c, and I love them all... but what feels stiff as heck on the street feels roly-poly on the track. I have a beautiful street 944 turbo that feels like it would be a monster on the track; it's just not. It's got coilovers, big brakes, all the stuff that should make it work; but that extra 400lbs and the softer springs make a world of difference. Now the track 944 is undriveable on the street. you can feel every pebble, every bit of sand gets picked up by the tires, its jarring and uncomfortable. But I like to say the track starts where the very fastest onramp ends. Bring it to the track and it's very easy to drive if you can handle a little turbo lag. The biggest problem is, in my humble opinion, the 30 year old factor. My first two seasons, I dealt with annoying little issue after annoying little issue; many of them were wiring harness and computer related. After putting in a modern standalone, all of those electrical problems went away. It helps to have a competent mechanic who understands these cars and can regularly inspect parts like half-shafts, transmissions, mounts, bearings, suspension components, the turbo, etc. When you double the hp a car came with and increase mechanical grip to twice what the manufacturer specified, things do break. I would buy a well sorted one; I am probably into mine for about 70-80k, could sell it for about 30-35 on a good day I spend about 250 bucks after every two or three days on the track having the car "nut and bolted", change oil after 5 or 6 track days, trans fluid every 10 or so. No track car is maintenance free. Miata is the closest, which a number of folks mention above.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:55 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Spec Boxster
/thread
Old 10-16-2018, 12:08 AM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Spec Boxster
/thread
I think these threads sometimes turn into a 'what's in your garage' discussion, but seriously...SPB. You can likely come out even by selling your 991 and buying a well-sorted SPB along with a truck and trailer. It'll force you to really learn how to drive, and when the time comes to go racing, the fields are about as big and competitive as they get in PCA. Tires are $1000/set and are good for a race weekend plus 2 DE events, motors are cheap, and trans are cheap. I go through a set of rotors and rear pads per year, and a set of $250 front pads every 1.5 race weekends.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:08 AM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

I like this thread - refreshing to read on this forum where it seems like everyone is trying to get a GT2 RS or a 991 Cup Car.

One option I would offer up: What about replacing the brakes on your C2S with an AP Racing setup that allows you to use cheaper pads that last longer and also run smaller wheels / cheaper tires? Would be more up front investment but save in maintenance costs.

That said - running a lower power track car will teach you some good things. I had an S2000 track car which was quite reliable until I supercharged it (don't do that.) Also there is no greater thrill at a HPDE than beating a car with twice your horsepower.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:29 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
I think these threads sometimes turn into a 'what's in your garage' discussion, but seriously...SPB. You can likely come out even by selling your 991 and buying a well-sorted SPB along with a truck and trailer. It'll force you to really learn how to drive, and when the time comes to go racing, the fields are about as big and competitive as they get in PCA. Tires are $1000/set and are good for a race weekend plus 2 DE events, motors are cheap, and trans are cheap. I go through a set of rotors and rear pads per year, and a set of $250 front pads every 1.5 race weekends.
More than any other car an SPB will teach you to treat the brake pedal like it's radioactive and mostly use it for balancing the car, not scrubbing off speed. Once you take off and gain momentum you’ll do anything to keep flying. This saves tires, pads, and rotors which are already cheap on a spec car, but most importantly it will make you a better and smoother driver.

Last edited by hf1; 10-16-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:32 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
Totally forgot about those guys thanks!
I believe the GTB1 Cayman at WeTune is Sergio`s car, he now drives an older Cup car.
Seen that Cayman a few times and it was well put together by the boys at WeTune , although being a
full dedicated race car it`s probably more than you would want to spend.

You can always reach out to Sergio on Rennlist under the name Serpags !
Old 10-16-2018, 10:59 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Being a 911 and GT4 guy - I don't know that you'd be happy with the speed of a SPB. I think a SP996 is a great car that's a happy balance of speed, performance, and cost of running. There is a SP996 for sale on the site here that I know personally and the car is awesome.

Take one piece of advice from me though - buy one that's already built. Don't pretend that building one yourself is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Moving to a dedicated track car