Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Nucking Futs Chuckwalla Weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 03:54 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts
Default The Nucking Futs Chuckwalla Weekend!

Not even sure where to begin... Arrived on a beautiful Friday night at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway which is in the middle of the HOT desert and pass out around 11pm.

As I am sound asleep I get awakened by my phone blasting off with emergency alerts saying all local roads and freeways are closed due to a flood warning.

Now I am in an RV with the wife and 6 year old kid, and I look outside and it is pouring rain like I have never seen before with the most amazing thunder and lighting which was just spectacular but frighting as well.

The owner of the track had just showed me pictures a few hours prior of 12 cabins that had been blown away by 150mph winds, we are taking wizard of oz sh*t and all I am thinking is holy sh*t and am I even going to get any sleep tonight as my brain is thinking this RV might end up on the track.

This goes on for over 3 hours and of couse my kid is sleeping like a log through it all, and the wife could care less (she didn't see those pictures and i didn't tell her).

When it finally stops at 5:30am we end up with this...

Now let me first say that the owner and staff of CW is amazing and they worked hard to clean this river in the middle of our track in just few hours, and we had the pleasure (lol) of driving 3 sessions on the track after they cleaned it so the day was not a total loss.

Those 3 sessions were Nucking Futs as most apex's were covered with mud along with all the run off areas were mud so not a fun day if you go off, and not to mention all the dirt/dust that was on the track getting blown around made for a very interesting track day so say the least.

The race gods did bless us on Sunday with a beautiful day and right after lunch went for a short session to heat cycle my tires and find myself with no traffic and run a couple decent laps.

If you have any interest on seeing videos of those first sessions for Saturday morning let me know, but here is a video of the heat cycle session with some crazy clouds still in the background.

Hope you enjoy

Last edited by GT345; 10-15-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:18 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that is Crazy! I bet they don’t get weather like that very often. Chuckwalla is one of my favorite tracks. I really like the flow of it. I had a similar day (but without the wind) at Limerock park. There were lakes at nearly every apex and there was a river flowing down the “uphill “ section of the track. And to add to the fun there isn’t a consistent crown on the straight away so there are random puddles just to make things interesting

Charley
Old 10-15-2018, 11:10 AM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Please come out for the POC weekend November 3rd-4th with a track test day that Friday. We will do everything in our power to make the weather cooperate.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:20 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bkovac
Please come out for the POC weekend November 3rd-4th with a track test day that Friday. We will do everything in our power to make the weather cooperate.
I actually have the registration page opened on MSR as we speak!

Had a blast at SMMR the weekend prior!
Old 10-15-2018, 01:26 PM
911ted
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

First red session with 30 cars and all the dust flying was just epic, the track was as green as it could be and felt like it.
Big time Kudos to the CVR track crew, those guys know how use backhoes. Rice road to the north of the track was closed all weekend by Caltrans.
Was lucky to get there Sat. morning from Blythe. East of the track, a large section of Eastbound I-10 was flash flooded over with deep water. Multiple cars on their roofs that were washed over a 200 foot long, 4 foot ledge were the shoulder used to be. CHP had that side of the highway red flagged for half the day.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:57 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Too bad about missed driving time but it must have been pretty awesome in the middle of the desert.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:01 AM
Greg Phillips
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Chuckwalla Photos- epic thunderstorm

Thanks to all for the patience in a difficult situation after the epic thunderstorm
Here are my photos from the weekend:
Friday:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/E1MYfmLwSYcfi5Ai8
Saturday:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dQtVLNNJGCzAKTMp6
Sunday:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JWbQXbCm3ppkncap6

And here are Eric's photos (with my camera :^)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EfD1fDurCqZq3Ecv7

Greg
Old 10-16-2018, 02:15 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Wow! Been out there with crazy heat and a haboob hitting with crazy windstorm.
We got amazing lightening here on the beach and really heavy rain. Sounds like you guys got even more.
I’d heard they had some of their newer cabins damaged in a windstorm. Wow.

I do really enjoy that track.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:45 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Greg Phillips
Thanks to all for the patience in a difficult situation after the epic thunderstorm
Here are my photos from the weekend:
Friday:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/E1MYfmLwSYcfi5Ai8
Saturday:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dQtVLNNJGCzAKTMp6
Sunday:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JWbQXbCm3ppkncap6

And here are Eric's photos (with my camera :^)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EfD1fDurCqZq3Ecv7

Greg
Great pictures as usual Greg & Eric, thank you!
Old 10-16-2018, 08:57 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Wow! Been out there with crazy heat and a haboob hitting with crazy windstorm.
We got amazing lightening here on the beach and really heavy rain. Sounds like you guys got even more.
I’d heard they had some of their newer cabins damaged in a windstorm. Wow.

I do really enjoy that track.
The track is awesome and very technical.

They also plan on expanding it to a 6 mile course over the next year so it will only get better!
Old 10-16-2018, 03:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by GT345
The track is awesome and very technical.

They also plan on expanding it to a 6 mile course over the next year so it will only get better!
The track is one of those that is seems deceptively simple. Meaning, you look at it on a track map and the corners all look similar. They are very different. Getting sub2 is quick. It's amazing the turn in and stability on the 991 RS, crazy. I know in my 997.1RS to get sub 2 I'm working like a mad man! And I've only done it a few times... !!!

They've been talking about the track expansion for a couple years now, I do hope they can pull it off at some point. Buttonwillow is also expanding, and spring mountain continues to expand their track. Wish willow would invest in some run off maintenance!
Old 10-16-2018, 07:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I had a blast at Chuckwalla with Martin and maybe couple other guys its been a while, but we laughed our asses off at that track.
Good times, I miss CA..
Old 10-16-2018, 08:07 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

They've been talking about the track expansion for a couple years now, I do hope they can pull it off at some point. Buttonwillow is also expanding, and spring mountain continues to expand their track. Wish willow would invest in some run off maintenance!
It would be great if the owners of Willow would sell out and someone redeveloped the place. It has such great potential and the current family refuses to invest heavily into the property.

Buttonwillow is still fighting with the environmentalist. Something about a horny toad butterfly breeding ground.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:11 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I had a blast at Chuckwalla with Martin and maybe couple other guys its been a while, but we laughed our asses off at that track.
Good times, I miss CA..
I found a good transport company when you want to come back!

They will transport your car and they also offer track support for the weekend.

I exclusively use them for every event now and it makes my life much simpler and allows me to do more events.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:14 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

The track is one of those that is seems deceptively simple. Meaning, you look at it on a track map and the corners all look similar. They are very different. Getting sub2 is quick. It's amazing the turn in and stability on the 991 RS, crazy. I know in my 997.1RS to get sub 2 I'm working like a mad man! And I've only done it a few times... !!!

They already started building at CW, with a whole other building of garages, and I believe the expansion of the track will be done within the next 12 month.

They're also doing a full restaurant with bar!

Here is a screen shot of my lap showing the new garages in the background.

Last edited by GT345; 10-16-2018 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: The Nucking Futs Chuckwalla Weekend!