Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Cage recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 04:16 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the Safety Devices bolt-in cage in my 951 which is the same design as Bill described for the 964 cage.

If I had it to do over, I would have had a custom cage built. Would have only cost ~$1k more and would be much stronger.

However, for a dual purpose track/street car, it isn't too bad. The problem is that now it is a basically a track-only vehicle.

If you are unsure how much of a track car yours will become, run a year or 2 w/ a harness bar and race seats, then make your decision. Of course, you'll get lots of feedback regarding using harnesses without a roll bar.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Chris Picklo
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much weight did the custom (creative) cages add to your cars?

Also, what was the final cost? I'm doing an 85' 911 soon.

Thanks!

Chris
Old 01-28-2004, 03:11 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

i had mine built for my H class 911....as for weight, i actually worked backwards from the 2400lb minimum weight for the class.......i used chrome-moly for better weight/strength......after figuring out the fuel cell (full tank of gas depleted by 1/2 hour race) i had a little weight to make up so i put in an extra bar behind the head rest....
Old 01-28-2004, 03:33 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 139 Posts

Whether you decide to go the custom built cage or not, review the rules for the sanctioning body you are going to run the car with as Bill suggested. I think in the PCA stock classes, cages tied into the suspension points might be illegal. The club racing rules for 2004 can be found at www.pca.org on the club racing page.

I also have a Safety Devices cage and chose it because it mounts to the longitudinals, not the floor using welded in mounting plates which is what the cage bolts to.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:57 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

mark is correct.....the cage for PCA stock classes cannot be tied to the shock mount....but pinning and welding to the longitudinals, floor and rear bulkhead is approved (and recommended)
Old 01-29-2004, 03:13 PM
Mike S.
Pro

OriginalSterm,

I looked into this last year for my 944 Turbo. The use would be DE only and preservation of the interior was mandatory. For non-custom cages, I strongly preferred the Safety Devices offering to that of Autopower. At that time DAS didn't have a full cage for a 944/951 but I think they do now. I would look into this.

Re custom cages, you've heard from some very experienced folks already. My opinion (as a mechanical engineer specializing in structural analysis for 20 years) is that most appear resonable but occasionally a clear weak link in the design can be identified. On the 944, I've seen a number of different pickup point points used. For instance, the A-pillar member, attaching to the box beam running along and forming the sill is preferable to the floorboard/pan. I would say there is no question that a custom cage will provide you the best in terms of safety and chassis stiffening. But, without being very meticulous, clever, and willing to spend even more $$$ to do so, you'll need to give up on the notion of preserving you interior as is. This shouldn't be a problem for you dads (track) car.

If you decide to visit John in Vestal, NY and wouldn't mind a tag along from Buffalo, let me know. I'd enjoy listening in on what you're thinking of doing as I am thinking about building and or buying 944 NA track car at some point.

Mike

P.S. Are you in the Niagara region PCA?
Old 01-29-2004, 07:46 PM
tyler
Advanced

i would seriously get find someone who has a 951 with a cage and ask if you can get in and out of the drivers seat 20 times and after that toss your keys under the gas pedal and see what it is like to retrieve them

cages are nice, but options like removable side bars and less metal is all part of trade offs, i had a cage built buy a NASCAR cage builder....i think it literally was a 14 point, it weighed more than it needed too, could withstand a direct hit into a tree, wall, SUV...but it was a bear to get in and out of and working in the car was all but impossible

just things to think about before welding

tyler
Old 01-29-2004, 08:49 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike-
We are Finger Lakes Region PCA. I will let you know when we head down to Vestal and take a look around there. We are interested in all there is to know when it comes to safety devices, input from as many experts as possible will prove helpful.

As far as comfort getting in and out of a fully caged car, it's much better to be a little uncomfortable than to be severely hurt by a poorly designed cage or one not up to the task at hand.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:22 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Stuff;

Mike, Tyler, Sterm (?)... wonderful additions! I too am interested in learning everything I don't know! If I could only be a fly on the wall at Fabcar someday... the things I could do... Have you ever seen one of their cages? Absolutely mind-numbing beauty. Price too!!!!!!! $00,000

Tyler, I'm sorry you had to learn this, but glad you offered it. I have seen a lot of guys go to local roundy round dudes, and come away with all manner of stuff. Some of it is even exceedingly well done, but it NEVER fails to be utter and complete overkill for a car that weighs 1000lbs less than what they normally deal with, and has to be lived with for DEs.

Mike. I want to design your cage with you. The seat of my pants works really well for me, but gut, sinew, and experience can only do so much. A little professional insight would be enlightening I'm sure. LET'S TALK!

Bending 944 Roll Bars

There are always MANY perameters to consider, WAY more than the casual observer will ever know. What works for my GT3 Cup friend at 5'9" and 150lbs would not work for my other at 6'2" & 350! DE -vs- Club Race. Function -vs- Form -vs- Esthetic. There are rules. There are interior concerns. Physical concerns. Usage. Weight. Protection. Ingress/Egress.

All I know is that when I do a cage (or anything). I try to CREATE. Building is for carpenters!

VW Ice Racer Project

Quick Reply: Roll Cage recommendations