Sponsored by:

944 Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004 | 10:40 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default 944 Roof Rack

Hello---I am looking for a way to transport my track tires in the most convenient manner. I saw a few M3s at Lime Rock last year who fit all 4 rims on a roof rack. Can this be done with the 944? Can the roof bear the weight? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-22-2004 | 10:43 PM
Jack667
Drifting

Many 944 folks use the tow-behind trailers. I have a new hitch that I might want to sell. I also have a trailer that I should probably sell too.

The most convenient manner is to put them in the car - which is what I do. A 225 tire can go into the spare well. The other 3 fit in nicely, with room left over for your other gear, but no passenger.

I think I'll stick with this plan until I buy a tow vehicle and enclosed trailer...
Old 01-22-2004 | 11:02 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Mike: I have a Thule roof rack system that I use to transport my tires on my 944S2. I have a Thule basket that attaches to the bars. It's an older basket: today, Thule makes a basket called the "playpen:" I'd recommend using that.

I line up three tires standing up across the front, and wedge one behind the three to keep everything snug. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of my setup yet....

HTH,
-Z-man.
Old 01-23-2004 | 06:02 AM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have used the Porsche roof rack system with a piece of 3/4" plywood bolted to the top. I arranged several web straps to hold three tires flat and put the fourth in the car. I later got the basket but never tried using it for tires because I went with a car trailer about that time.
If anyone is interested in this setup, make an offer!
Old 01-25-2004 | 12:52 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure if Yakima makes a rack for your 944, but I think the steel cross bars are much stronger and more rigid than Thule's. I've noticed how quite a few Thule cross bars are bent on the middle because of their thinner construction.

I have had a four cross bar, dual basketcase cargo rack Yakima system on, first, my Pathfinder, then, my 4Runner, and now Sequoia, for seven years now and have been amazed at the rack's ability to handle weight and abuse. I have stood on it, thrown filled ice coolers on it, tossed equipment carts on it, and laden it with heavy light stands and weighty camera gear. To date, nothing has failed, cracked or bent on it, except for a plastic bike tray handle that snapped a few weeks ago. Yakima replaced this item for free, even though it was seven years old. I did not ask them to comp me; it was their offer. Amazing.

Quick Reply: 944 Roof Rack