Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOLA "Go Fast" Driver Death

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 03:38 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Interesting that the next Wanna Go Fast event is right down the street from me at John Travolta's private airport near Ocala, FL. The event is SOLD OUT (150 Cars) "$275/DAY OR $500/WEEKEND" includes "Unlimited Runs" and "Free Lunch." (How can it be FREE when you pay $275 a day?) Spectators are $30 each. Pit crew are $50 each.
https://wannagofast.com/product/florida-2018-driver/

Safety Equipment? "All drivers will be required to wear SA2010+ helmets."
Old 10-09-2018, 04:37 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

That's nuts. I figured there would be a hiatus at least.

Then again, lots of people think we're nuts for driving on race tracks ...
Old 10-09-2018, 05:04 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Out of curiosity, I went to look at their tech form. Good they have one at least, I guess. 5 and 6 point belts are optional, with no specification for racing seats. Also, convertibles can run without a rollbar.

They do things fast n loose there, apparently.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:41 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Despite the lack of vehicle safety devices, what really bothers me is the venues. When I ran it, the "paddock" area was along side the finish line, with no barrier between you, and cars at 180+ moving by. Some of my family came out, and I threw a fit about where they could and couldnt walk around because I was too worried about a car launching into the crowd with nothing to protect them.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 757 Posts

Darwin was an optimist...
Old 10-09-2018, 06:02 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

One thing I'm sure of with this outfit is that history will repeat itself.
This stuff just seems nuts to me.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:14 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Reminds me of this well thought out staging arrangement that apparently took place at Pocono a number of years ago. Cars staged next to a short straight on the infield portion of the course, car lost control on track and plowed into a staged car (with driver in it), almost taking out the pit out guy ... Action starts just after 2:30 in the video.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:42 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by stownsen914
Reminds me of this well thought out staging arrangement that apparently took place at Pocono a number of years ago. Cars staged next to a short straight on the infield portion of the course, car lost control on track and plowed into a staged car (with driver in it), almost taking out the pit out guy ... Action starts just after 2:30 in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/P1RohRau9Hg
OMG i’ve never seen that one before. Who the hell designed that?
Old 10-10-2018, 10:41 AM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Gotta love the hoody on the guy waiting to go out, and the guy standing on the exposed side of the car that got hit! Just what I want when I'm driving: something flopping around in my peripheral vision and someone to hit if I go off! I've never seen anything this lax in the groups I run with, thankfully. Kind of reminds me of a non-PCA autocross "school" a few years ago where course workers were setting up cones as Vettes were spinning out of control towards them. Won't go back with that "school" again.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:22 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Darwin was an optimist...
That's good. I'm going to use it.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:34 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Guy in driving suit: Feets don’t fails me now!!!
Old 10-10-2018, 05:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by stownsen914

Holy crap
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2018, 03:16 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 530 Likes on 284 Posts

Not much to add here regarding opinions and theory - it won't undo what happened. No one can say for certain if more safety gear would have saved him. We just don't know. But it certainly wouldn't have hurt. Unfortunately it seems that the only way we ever learn is once a tragedy happens. But also unfortunately, I see way too many organizations sacrifice safety for 'ease of entry' to keep the numbers up. In theory, I get it - tough to tell a newbie that they need to spend thousands to modify their car (cage/seats/harness/etc) and thousands in extra drivers gear to go out and have fun in something they may do once every year or so. But there needs to be a compromise...somewhere...

SCCA has their Track Night In America and their new National Time Trial program - no instructors, no safety equipment required except helmet. I cringe each time I attend one (as a vendor hoping to explain to people they should get SOME safety equipment). I watch guys who have never been on a track before in brand new Roush Mustangs, Camaro ZL1 or Corvette ZO6's bragging about top speeds, most of which are way higher than my race car...wearing t-shirts and jeans.

I have to admit - years ago I was in that boat: helmet, jeans, long sleeve shirts (PCA Requirement). But our car had race seats/harnesses and a full cage so I felt 'safe'. Then I saw a friends car catch fire in a wreck. Then an instructor friend got killed. Then another fire... Now I wear full gear anytime I'm on track. Honestly...this is actually one of the reasons we started the company. We both LOVE track stuff and racing. But we all want to see our friends and fellow participants come home safely. What we do is inherently dangerous. We owe it to ourselves, our families, our friends and to our fellow track junkies to do our best to be safe. Stuff happens. But cars can be replaced...people can't.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-12-2018, 04:44 PM
Philement
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
Interesting that the next Wanna Go Fast event is right down the street from me at John Travolta's private airport near Ocala, FL. The event is SOLD OUT (150 Cars) "$275/DAY OR $500/WEEKEND" includes "Unlimited Runs" and "Free Lunch." (How can it be FREE when you pay $275 a day?) Spectators are $30 each. Pit crew are $50 each.
https://wannagofast.com/product/florida-2018-driver/
Safety Equipment? "All drivers will be required to wear SA2010+ helmets."
$500 a weekend to go straight one 1/2 mile at a time and your crew pays more than a spectator? No thanks. LOL! The last time I drag raced the organizers got pissed at me because I took the first turn off. I told them I was bored and wanted to add a little excitement after going straight for only 10 seconds.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:38 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Bob

Have you been to a TNIA, I have attended many and while I was concerned that the no right seat instructor was going to be a disaster that hasn’t turned out to be the case. I also attended the inaugural SCCA TT Nationals at NCM and guess what it wasn’t a diasester either. And yes their are instructors watching and download sessions after every session.

Peter

Quick Reply: NOLA "Go Fast" Driver Death