Old 10-13-2018, 09:26 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Bob

Have you been to a TNIA, I have attended many and while I was concerned that the no right seat instructor was going to be a disaster that hasn’t turned out to be the case. I also attended the inaugural SCCA TT Nationals at NCM and guess what it wasn’t a diasester either. And yes their are instructors watching and download sessions after every session.

Peter
Hi Peter
yes...I’ve been to about 5 TNIA and was at the very first TTN “trial” at CMP. You are correct, no disaster and people had fun. However, I HAVE seen a lot of totaled street cars with beginners driving that could have been avoided with an instructor. (Mostly at Charlotte Motor Speedway) . I won’t get into the rest of what I’ve seen for liability purposes, but in my opinion, it’s not a matter of if, but when, something serious will happen.

look, I applaud SCCA for getting more people on track. But track driving is not autocross, and that’s who they are marketing to for the new TT program: autocrossers. I’ve instructed a lot of autocrossers in the past and they have all needed to be broken of certain autocross habits when on track... but with no real instruction, they’ll never get better.

But as I said...I’ve seen too many serious incidents on track to not take it seriously (heck, I rolled our race car before it was a race car at Limerock in a DE...2.0 liter/4 cyl stock bodied 914 caught a tire wrong, spun, and rolled. Good thing I had a roll cage, race seats and harnesses. Crushed the A pillar and bent the cage but saved me. S**t happens and safety equipment can minimize the seriousness of the outcome.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-13-2018, 10:18 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 468 Posts

Bob,

How much longer are we going to get people to sit right seat and instruct in the future. I quit as it wasn’t worth the risk anymore. I had a friend seriously injured at RR and another came very close at RR, also at turn 1into the trees. We all know about the CMP and Summit Point incidents.

I applaud SCCA for their Experiental Programs and trying to bring the SCCA Q Tips into the 21st century, yes I’m a Q Tip. Hayward and crew have put a lot of thought into the programs, they are able to make needed adjustments on the fly. The whole idea around TNIA and their TT program is not to make them serious business by keeping it low key and friendly to people of all skill levels.

Peter
Old 10-13-2018, 10:56 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

It is a matter of perspective. In socal we have about 6 groups to get on track with who have no instruction. They have proven no greater incidence of on track problems vs. say porsche club or the insurance cost would have shut them down. SCCA did not invent the no instructor model. In fact they are years late to the game looking to increase motorsports enthusiasm for the racing program. I can only assume there are similar non-instructor on track venues around the country. There is a lot of fake fear out there especially from those who came through arduous instructor programs. I see the instructor program and MSF's desire for a nationwide instructor certification program under THEIR control as good ideas with no evidence to prove their necessity.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:14 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
It is a matter of perspective. In socal we have about 6 groups to get on track with who have no instruction. They have proven no greater incidence of on track problems vs. say porsche club or the insurance cost would have shut them down. SCCA did not invent the no instructor model. In fact they are years late to the game looking to increase motorsports enthusiasm for the racing program. I can only assume there are similar non-instructor on track venues around the country. There is a lot of fake fear out there especially from those who came through arduous instructor programs. I see the instructor program and MSF's desire for a nationwide instructor certification program under THEIR control as good ideas with no evidence to prove their necessity.
Will be interesting to see how this evolves. Personally I've grown increasingly uncomfortable with the idea of riding with novices in 500+ hp cars with street safety equipment.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:51 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 836 Likes on 421 Posts

A 200mph+ crash is no joke. We have to remember that energy goes up as the square of velocity.

216mph in a 3000lb car = 6.4 MJ
140 mph in a 3000lb car = 2.6 MJ

In the example above, while only 54% faster, the 216mph car has 146% more energy to dissipate in a crash. Think about that for a sec. the 216mph car can have a glancing blow that only dissipates 50% of it’s energy, and it will still be worse than the 140mph car driving head on into a brick wall.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:00 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Yup, I had a Green student last week at Road Atlanta with a 770 HP Rausch Mustang, who said, “Let’s see what this baby will do.” He had two track days. We did 168 on the back straight and 35 through 10AB. Wouldn’t listen. Rejected instruction. Organizers wouldn’t respond because of an instructor shortage. I packed and left. The alarm bells were sounding.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:01 PM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
Yup, I had a Green student last week at Road Atlanta with a 770 HP Rausch Mustang, who said, “Let’s see what this baby will do.” He had two track days. We did 168 on the back straight and 35 through 10AB. Wouldn’t listen. Rejected instruction. Organizers wouldn’t respond because of an instructor shortage. I packed and left. The alarm bells were sounding.
Good for you. I would’ve done same.

I had a new student two weeks ago in an 800hp Hennessy GT350 Mustang (like a regular GT350 isn’t fast enough, lol!). I made him turn off all nannies on the very first session. He was instantly sideways going onto the main straight the very first lap and into the mud. From that point on, he was very respectful of his cars’ power and don’t think we went over 100mph the rest of the day.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:36 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
A 200mph+ crash is no joke. We have to remember that energy goes up as the square of velocity.

In the example above, while only 54% faster, the 216mph car has 146% more energy to dissipate in a crash. Think about that for a sec. the 216mph car can have a glancing blow that only dissipates 50% of it’s energy, and it will still be worse than the 140mph car driving head on into a brick wall.
Thank you...
Old 10-14-2018, 10:46 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 175 Posts

Would have done the same. The gravel pit at 10A would not do much to slow a 4000 lb car going 168 mph.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:45 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

The insurance question is always a good wake up call. They rarely have track insurance and once they learn their regular auto insurance won’t cover a race track they back down a bit. I had a Audi TT with 720 HP on a tight technical track, on the second lap he exited Turn 2 and did a 180. While the spin was harmless with no one was around us I immediately asked about his track insurance... that he didn’t have. We pitted and he turned down the boost.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:53 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Smart.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:04 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 98 Posts

Pit out guy with no hearing protection standing with his back turned to traffic with no barrier or anything else to protect him - witness his nimble angels on his shoulder leap out of the way.
A whole lot of crazy going on here.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Darwin was an optimist...
Originally Posted by stownsen914
Reminds me of this well thought out staging arrangement that apparently took place at Pocono a number of years ago. Cars staged next to a short straight on the infield portion of the course, car lost control on track and plowed into a staged car (with driver in it), almost taking out the pit out guy ... Action starts just after 2:30 in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/P1RohRau9Hg

Last edited by dan212; 10-15-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:08 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

I've been right seat for THREE barrier impacts so far this year (two at Sebring), ALL involving older drivers in high-HP cars who refused to respond to coaching. "That's not what my last instructor told me." One driver actually told me that he paid for track time and didn't need instruction. 30-seconds later we went into the concrete barrier at T15 Sebring. Another student got a late point-by on the front straight and entered T1 too fast. As the rear end started to come around, he actually took his hands off the wheel and closed his eyes. I was able to grab the wheel and induce a spin and we stopped about six-feet short of the wall. We have all witnessed the escalating horsepower arms race in recent years, but for track groups that cater to American Muscle Cars, the escalation has been particularly bothersome.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:39 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

We've gotten way off topic, but for what it's worth, I no longer get in 500+ hp cars. Turned down a GT2 ride recently.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:51 PM
Philement
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D

I'm all ears on the math but run the numbers over the distance or time it took to stop the car. That thing decelerated for what looks like 1/8th of a mile, not in feet, and over 6+ seconds from braking to tumbling.

I'm not trying to be right for the sake of being right. My point has always been that racers have crashed at much higher speeds, with proper safety equipment, and have walked away or survived. Just look at the bad crashes in the NHRA this year. Of course we'll never know in this case and we can't assume all saftey equipment levels would be adequate.

What I'm personally saying is a near 25 g impact with basic safety equipment is survivable and I walked away with minor injuries. The $4,000 bill I got from the track hurt the most but hey I'm not dead so money well spent

Quick Reply: NOLA "Go Fast" Driver Death