Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB -HPDE/track car- advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 03:55 PM
boze_man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking thru my inbox from years ago and remember how I was trying to purchase a dedicated 944 track car back in 2008 but would a retired 944cup sp2/sp3 work today given the even larger hp differences and technology? Great car to learn on and club race but for DE's will it be too down on power and be a corner marker? 10yr ago I was running a track modded 964 with 247hp in advanced run groups with 996's and I could handle them thru the twisties but would get my doors blown off on the straights, not sure how safe a large HP difference makes today?
Old 10-05-2018, 08:27 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

A lot will depend on your goal. Not a safety issue, my e36 at 240 hp was a BLAST, but if ego is a problem it could be an issue long term.

There is no better way to become a better driver, and the most fun is in the corners. Having said that, many weekends I signed up for intermediate if I was running events I knew would attract the big money cars....

Can always start there and trade up once car control is aced.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:42 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I will echo that - my E36 328is was a phenomenal car to drive and a fantastic learning tool as the limits were high but very approachable. However, there is so much hardware and so much money at a modern DE that unfortunately being the fastest car through the corners and being lapped down the straights can make for a frustrating experience.

If I was buying/building a DE car at a reasonable pricepoint, there is no way it'd be anything but a C5Z. It will take some money to upgrade some of the common points of failure, but you end up with a car with a good suspension, large tires, close to 400whp, and a chassis that weighs about what a 996 does.

-Mark
Old 10-07-2018, 08:54 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67
I will echo that - my E36 328is was a phenomenal car to drive and a fantastic learning tool as the limits were high but very approachable. However, there is so much hardware and so much money at a modern DE that unfortunately being the fastest car through the corners and being lapped down the straights can make for a frustrating experience.

If I was buying/building a DE car at a reasonable pricepoint, there is no way it'd be anything but a C5Z. It will take some money to upgrade some of the common points of failure, but you end up with a car with a good suspension, large tires, close to 400whp, and a chassis that weighs about what a 996 does.

-Mark
I am frustrated with point-bys down the straights driving my 944 NA, but what is the objective of DE events. I own the 944 so I can go racing, not chasing. I participate in Vintage racing.

I do DE events with my son-in-law who pays half of the freight.

If the high is to go fast down the straight, then maybe DE is not the appropriate venue. The more HP goes with more risk.

OE lap belts for high HP cars is not in my opinion a good safety feature. Also, you are not held in tight enough to sense all of g force in your butt, that eads to errors, an errors lead to unrecoverable consequences, the outcome a crash You are responding to forward visual only, missing a key input to subconscious driving. More HP makes things happen quicker

Old 10-08-2018, 06:24 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I just saw this Boxster race car for $22.5k: http://speedsporttuning.net/listings...ster-race-car/
Old 10-08-2018, 07:19 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Dang... that looks like a deal.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:33 PM
boze_man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
I just saw this Boxster race car for $22.5k: http://speedsporttuning.net/listings...ster-race-car/
nice car nice price!
thanks for the lead... will reach out to speedsport

Quick Reply: WTB -HPDE/track car- advice needed