Sponsored by:

Next DE car

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 08:51 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Next DE car

Currently, dual driving (i.e., double duty) my 997.2 GTS as prepped per my signature.

Lately, I've been thinking the GTS is a bit 'nice' for the DE duty.

I'd like to reduce operating costs including DE insurance, and add safety features (full cage, halo seats, etc.).
I'd also like a proper manual rather than PDK.

However, I'd like to keep costs to a minimum. I would keep the GTS, but put it back to street and not track it.

Thinking Spec Boxster or maybe Spec Cayman (too expensive).

Thoughts?
Old 08-21-2018, 08:55 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Good thinking.
Spec Boxster. Also the best, largest, and most competitive class if/when you decide to go racing.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:51 PM
mike1111
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at spec 996, similar lap times to your GTS and similar running costs to the spec boxster. Agree if going to race spec Boxster would have a large field, but for DE you will have to bring Advil for your arm..
Old 08-21-2018, 10:21 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I had similar thoughts last year and now have a BMW E46 330i. Significantly less power, but I'm much happier driving it harder and am unconcerned at being peppered with grit and clag. It's also cheap enough to run without event insurance, parts are cheap(er), easy to work on and a lot of YouTube knowledge.
I added a rear roll hoop, harnesses and seats, which makes it much safer.
I miss the 997 power but am having a ball!
Old 08-21-2018, 10:46 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

I am about 6 weeks ahead of you. I have a 997TT and was bit by the track bug hard last season, and have thoroughly enjoyed using the 997TT on the track. I was on the verge of spending serious bucks to make the 997TT more track worthy (and inversely proportional less street worthy) and my tech said 'man you should just buy a race car'. For some reason that hit home with me, and a few weeks later I acquired a completely built 987 Cayman S track car.

I had it out for the first time this past weekend for PCA DE weekend, and I had the most fun I've ever had on 4 wheels. All my friends said dude, your're going to be bored, you're not going to like it, it's 250hp less than your 997TT, blah blah blah. Within a few sessions I was turning lap times 1 second faster than my 997TT personal bests. That's when I knew I had made the right decision.

As far as running costs go... The turbo kills a full tank of fuel before lunch, then kills a full tank of fuel after lunch. The Cayman S ran almost all day on a single tank. The tires I'm running on the 997TT are 325/245 19", the Cayman's are 265/235 18". Pagid brake pads are cheaper for the cayman and last a lot longer as it's ~800-900lbs lighter. I paid the CAD equivalent of $22k USD for the Cayman turn key ready to hit the track. I would have spent that money on mods to make the 911 more track worthy plus double that with the extra depreciation, so I am using the car-guy logic that the Cayman race car was essentially free haha.

Go for a cheaper dedicated race car - you will turn faster laps in a fully prepped Cayman or Boxster and you'll have a **** ton more fun than in your double duty street car.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:06 AM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I was tracking a 997.2 gt3. Had similar thoughts to you. Now I race a 2004 F stock boxster S 3.2. Similar operating costs to spec boxster but more hp. Great for DE and great racing. First time out at Limerock, I dropped two seconds off my lap times compared with the GT3. I was definitely holding back for fear of damaging the Gt3. The increased safety and decreased worry of blemishes really makes the experience that much better. The money you save on insurance alone will pay for the track car. By the way, I don't bother with track insurance on the Boxster.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:07 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I think you’re absolutely on the right track. I expect you’ll have a lot more fun as you can afford (both safety-wise and financially) to take more risks and make more mistakes. I’m on the path you’ve outlined, currently building a Spec Boxster.

Cheaper cars are great because when something happens you don’t worry, you just fix it. If somebody bumps you, you don’t lose any sleep over it. In my situation I couldn’t comfortably do that in either of the 911s I owned but I can with the 986. Modest power (relative to a TT) means you’ll be at a lower speed if you have an incident, you’ll have more time to act and react to stimuli (learning and executing skills), and you’ll see a bigger lap time penalty or benefit from making or correcting minor mistakes.

In most regions DE is really all about driver skill until you get to the advanced groups - which is also the point where you can switch over and go race instead of just doing DE track events. If the goal is to run in the advanced DE group in a 986/987 alongside good drivers in 600hp machines on Hoosiers, that would definitely get old quickly. But if the idea is more along the lines of working through DE to eventually race wheel to wheel I don’t see any better way to go.

My SPB replacement motor was $3k shipped and not a ton of labor to install in the car. You might check eBay on SPC and 996 motors and other major components before pulling the trigger on a race car. I was glad I could comfortably afford to replace it when I lost my motor earlier this year. I went ahead and took the opportunity to put a lot of other parts on the car, so it will be better for it. (It was likely an IMSB failure.) If I had needed to spend ~$10k for just the motor before install and incidental parts I would have been unhappy with the situation.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:13 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Might (cough cough) know of a (cough) car....

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...track-car.html
Old 08-23-2018, 03:31 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

you are currently tracking an excelent track car. 997 GTS. Reliable, quick and PDK.

If you are looking to step into a full cage car with the same reliabilty, get a GTB1 cayman racer with PDK.

If you go with a stick, be prepared to service it.
If you go with anything pre DFI, be prepared to service it.

Last edited by tcsracing1; 08-23-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:32 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Might (cough cough) know of a (cough) car....

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...track-car.html
That looks like a fun car!
Old 08-23-2018, 08:25 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Spec Boxster, F Class Boxster of Gen 1 Cayman are all good choices. Don't forget trailer and tow vehicle - it's s slippery slope but your learning experience will be awesome!
Old 08-23-2018, 09:19 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Subscribed
Old 08-23-2018, 09:42 AM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

CSTYLES
That looks like one hell of a steal. My wife might even approve if I came across another like that.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:45 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

F class boxster at a minimum.

SPB can be very quick no doubt, but that additional 60hp just makes it more enjoyable. Great balance on these cars and lots of fun.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:49 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Recommendation - try to drive the type of car you want to buy before you commit. Whether it is a SPB, SPC or something else, make sure you enjoy the ride.

I spent lots of $$ to convert my car to a different class only to spend lots of $$ converting it back a year later because I did not enjoy that new class.

Quick Reply: Next DE car