Sponsored by:

feul cell for a 944

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RedlineMan
I have not settled on size yet. I do indeed love the fact that my Old Beast can go all day on a tank full. One less thing to have to do in a busy day at the track. If I use a single it will either be 16 or 22. If I go double, it will be between 8s and 10s most likely. Whatever fits whichever config I settle on!
Gotcha.

All I need is 8-10 gallons. We only do one endurance race a year and we'll probably keep racing an SE-R in that race. I only need about 20 minutes worth of fuel.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:37 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mean to hijack the thread (my apologies if it seems like I am) - when I was at Road Atlanta this past year one of the guys who also had a 951 said that he was installing a fuel cell that didn't require any cutting.
I have searched the web and can't find such a product so not sure if he had something custom made or perhaps didn't know what he was talking about.
Has anyone heard of a fuel cell that wouldn't require cutting into the car?
Thanks much.
Rick
Old 01-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

FuelSafe makes a cell for WorldWide Motorsports (www.worldwide-motorsports.com) that is designed to fit in the original tank spot.
It's not cheap, but if you want to put a cell in without any cutting or welding, this is probably the trick.
A custom cell by FuelSafe or ATL is about $2-3000.
The red 968 TRS has a cell that essentially is a saddlebag around the transmission with a rear full width portion of the tank. This lets fuel into a surge tank, from which the pump(s) draw(s) fuel. Other 968 race cars, shown on the 968.net web site have similar tanks. This is the direction I am moving with my car: it requires removing all of the rear decking and the spare tire well, and depending on the construction of the cell, a side instead of rear exhaust.
Cells can be made very complex, or very simple, (consider the difference between a simple box or the 996 race cell). It does cost to make things more complicated. Unfortunately, our cars don't really allow a sizeable box type cell to be placed in the rear. And, since we don't have the number of cars racing that 911's have, we don't have the economics of scale available to them.
Hope these random thoughts help.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:57 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey All;

Here are more pictures. The first is of the front area of the rear floor. the brake line holders had to be relocated and the fuel system lines moved a bit. The blue hoses you see coming off the banana arms go to my shock resevoirs mounted to the bottom of the roll hoop.

This pic shows the rear area without the tank.

I looked at this Six Ways from Sunday today, and I just can't figure a way to get a reasonably priced setup in there without being well above the floor height.

I looked at two small tanks on either side, but there is only about 14" of room on either side of the trans. I will be using a JAZ Products cell because it is the only affordable alternative, and they do not make anything thinner than 15.5". ATL makes a 10g 24Lx12.5Wx10.2H but it is $488. x2 tanks is 2 MUCH! Fuel Safe also makes a small one, but it is insane at $675! Not much money left to buy hardware with!!!

I looked at reconfiguring the shift mechanism to free up about an inch of depth. I looked at removing and refabricating the OE x-member to get two tanks farther forward.

In the end, I guess I can do nothing much better than one central tank that will stand above the original floor height by about 3-4" and be slightly farther forward than the OE tank.

Puuuuuhhh!
Old 01-26-2004, 09:58 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update -

OK, this is one of the trickiest projects I've undertaken in some time (I think the last one was chopping the top on a 911GT3 racer!). I have taken the fuel cell plunge. I was not willing to raise the CG so much by having a tank 3-5" above deck height just to get capacity. I really hate having a dinky tank too, but I have settled an a 12g JAZ cell that measures 18Lx16.5Wx10.5H.

Now, here is where it gets wild.

Since there is only 15.5" from trans to frame rail, I have sectioned out the side of the rear frame rail, recontoured the wheel house to gain about another inch to the outside, and will sink the cell into the side of the chassis by about 3". This has required all kinds of other reinforcement of the frame rail and such, which is nearly complete.

I'll have just enough room to get the cell in, hopefully far enough below floor height to hide all the hoses, and not too much farther back than stock.

The cell is on order. I will post pics when I can. Stay Tuned!

Last edited by RedlineMan; 01-28-2004 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-21-2004, 03:39 PM
wwmotorsports
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15 gal cell that fits

I have 5 cells in stock .Fuel Safe Pro Bladders (FIA approved)check on the JAZ dont think it is....We are running a special till april 1st
$1780.00 plus shipping it uses stock fill and straps with small mod

Check our site for pics and call for info
www.worldwide-motorsports.com
lots of other parts listed in used parts section
also have 968 rearclipw/doors rear bumper
and 944 tub complete doors fenders hood

Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2004, 12:05 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Guys;

Just to keep the thread alive while I work feaverishly to complete my fuel cell install. It is indeed a HUGE undertaking, but I'm in the home stretch.

Items finished:

- Mods to right rear frame rail and fenderwell
- Cell mounting & fuel level sender install
- Fuel pump relocation
- Custom el cheapo "Rube Goldburg" $40 dump cans

Items yet to be completed:

- Custom SS fuel line
- Custom filler neck & drybreak install
- Rear floor mods
- Discriminator valve mounting & plumbing
- Gauge wiring & mounting in custom console

I'm taking pictures and will post them when I get it wrapped up!

Quick Reply: feul cell for a 944