944 Hydraulic Lifters ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Jim Clark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Hydraulic Lifters ???

Anyone know where I can get a new set of Hydraulic lifters for a 87 944 n/a 2.5 for a reasonable price.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I bought my last ones at either Vertex or Zims, both of which are in Excellence or Pano. I think I paid $40something for them, but that was three or so years ago.

One other thing, if they just click on startup, and go quiet, then I would not replace them. I have been told that clicking when cold, and stopping clicking when warm, just means they leak down when the car sits, and is ok. Also if you are rebuilding the engine, I have been told that if you push real hard on the button on the bottom, and they click they are bad, and if they don't click they are good. I have found that this is Bull. If you are going to replace a few, then replace all, even though they could cost around $400 to replace, there is almost no way to tell which ones are bad and which ones are good

I have had one or two click when the car starts, after sitting (It's a race car, and sits a lot) and then quiets down, since I put this engine in 2 years ago, and they have been no problem.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
1987 944S race car under const.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:38 PM
Jim Clark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information....I have had a serious issue with #4 not firing and a continuous clatter in the valve train so I figure the lifter is bad.on the intake. With no formal way of validating if the lifters, I was hoping that there was someplace cheaper than $53 a piece at Paragon to be able to replace them all.

Jim
Old 01-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lotsa luck. I sure would not use used.

Bill

Quick Reply: 944 Hydraulic Lifters ???