Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mercedes Deal for Hamilton

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 01:12 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

The worst part of this deal is that we have to put up with him for another 2 years.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:47 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of you guys aren't paying attention. The most popular and maketable guys get all the money. They will easily make that money back in exposure, both during broadcasts and outside media. Alonso unbeatable? Lol. Mercedes knows that Ferrari is catching up quickly and soon could be surpassing them. There is a clear mutual need if they expect to win more championships. Lewis is worth way more than Bottas unless you haven't been watching the races or points. Of course some guys can win some races in the Merc, but I bet you guys would have said Bottas could win a championship too were he not in a Mercedes already. He has no chance of beating Vettel in that Ferrari as do the vast majority on grid. Zero.....

But I'll leave that to you "experts".
Old 07-20-2018, 05:44 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Lewis can be a pain in the ***, but as a tennis fan it was cool to see him sitting with Serena's group at Wimbledon (along with Tiger Woods)........

Can't deny his greatness as a driver, and he's a worldly guy......Mercedes doesn't HAVE to pay him that much, but they must feel he's worth it. These days it's endemic to all sports. Just a matter of time before you see $400-500m contracts in baseball. Ronaldo just signed with Juventus for 4yrs @ $35m per. And none of these other athletes are assuming the risk that an F1 driver does (though I wouldn't want to see a 100mph fastball coming at my head )

As an aside, there's a really good analysis by a former race engineer of Lewis' driving style in the latest F1 Racing--I really got into it. It's technical, but not overly so i.e. someone like me can understand it.....definitely worth a trip to B&N

Gary
Old 07-20-2018, 05:57 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=gbuff;15154679]Lewis can be a pain in the ***, but as a tennis fan it was cool to see him sitting with Serena's group at Wimbledon (along with Tiger Woods)........

Gary,
Cool to see we have tennis in common as well!
Old 07-20-2018, 06:01 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

[QUOTE=seanseidman;15154705]
Originally Posted by gbuff
Lewis can be a pain in the ***, but as a tennis fan it was cool to see him sitting with Serena's group at Wimbledon (along with Tiger Woods)........

Gary,
Cool to see we have tennis in common as well!
Yeah, we're hijacking the hell out of this thread but that tournament was one of the best, most entertaining ones I've ever seen.

Gary
Old 07-20-2018, 06:12 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,904 Likes on 1,724 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Some of you guys aren't paying attention. The most popular and maketable guys get all the money. They will easily make that money back in exposure, both during broadcasts and outside media. Alonso unbeatable? Lol. Mercedes knows that Ferrari is catching up quickly and soon could be surpassing them. There is a clear mutual need if they expect to win more championships. Lewis is worth way more than Bottas unless you haven't been watching the races or points. Of course some guys can win some races in the Merc, but I bet you guys would have said Bottas could win a championship too were he not in a Mercedes already. He has no chance of beating Vettel in that Ferrari as do the vast majority on grid. Zero.....

It would be hard to quantify, but based on what I've read, I'd say that more than 80% of the population outside of the UK think Hamilton is a Douchebag... It's hard to market world class douchery such as Hamilton's on a race by race basis. And it's not like he's just become a douche, he's never grown up and unless on the top step, is a sulking SOB. Not exactly MB style, but based on Toto Wolff's comments where he accused Ferrari drivers of being incompetent or deliberate in crashing into the Mercedes, perhaps the Merc F1 team is in sync.

You make a good point, however on the challenge Ferrari is making and could make moving forward. Mercedes might be hedging their bets as, at least this year, don't have a car that is 1 second faster than the next fastest car on grid and they want Hamilton to be their go to guy vs. Vettel rather than someone like Bottas. I still believe Alonso does the most with the least on the F1 grid and given the opportunity to drive a car that is that powerful and reliable, I think Alonso would be on a different level.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:11 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911

This is the internet. We are all experts!
Old 07-20-2018, 10:44 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
It would be hard to quantify, but based on what I've read, I'd say that more than 80% of the population outside of the UK think Hamilton is a Douchebag... It's hard to market world class douchery such as Hamilton's on a race by race basis. And it's not like he's just become a douche, he's never grown up and unless on the top step, is a sulking SOB. Not exactly MB style, but based on Toto Wolff's comments where he accused Ferrari drivers of being incompetent or deliberate in crashing into the Mercedes, perhaps the Merc F1 team is in sync.

You make a good point, however on the challenge Ferrari is making and could make moving forward. Mercedes might be hedging their bets as, at least this year, don't have a car that is 1 second faster than the next fastest car on grid and they want Hamilton to be their go to guy vs. Vettel rather than someone like Bottas. I still believe Alonso does the most with the least on the F1 grid and given the opportunity to drive a car that is that powerful and reliable, I think Alonso would be on a different level.
You do know that he grew up essentially dirt poor unlike >50% of the so called ‘best drivers in the World’, who’s family money has simply bought them a ride? His Dad was a postman who drove Lewis, and his at best second hand equipment, to his kart races in the back of a van.

I’m not crazy about his off track activities, but then again I’m decades older than him, so can’t relate. If he wants to hang out with movie; pop stars, etc. well, he risks his life every time he straps himself into the car, so let him do what he wants. He’s also won four World Driver’s Championships, something very few men have ever done, so as others have stated, MB thinks he’s worth the money; and they should know.

There have been ‘individuals’ throughout the history of F1; men such as Hunt; Kimi, etc. and thank the Gods for them as they’ve made the sport far more interesting. Although strangely, they don’t seem to have caused such ‘hatred’ amongst F1 ‘fans’; and I really wonder why.

Bish
Old 07-21-2018, 12:06 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thebishman

You do know that he grew up essentially dirt poor unlike >50% of the so called ‘best drivers in the World’, who’s family money has simply bought them a ride? His Dad was a postman who drove Lewis, and his at best second hand equipment, to his kart races in the back of a van.

I’m not crazy about his off track activities, but then again I’m decades older than him, so can’t relate. If he wants to hang out with movie; pop stars, etc. well, he risks his life every time he straps himself into the car, so let him do what he wants. He’s also won four World Driver’s Championships, something very few men have ever done, so as others have stated, MB thinks he’s worth the money; and they should know.

There have been ‘individuals’ throughout the history of F1; men such as Hunt; Kimi, etc. and thank the Gods for them as they’ve made the sport far more interesting. Although strangely, they don’t seem to have caused such ‘hatred’ amongst F1 ‘fans’; and I really wonder why.

Bish
what does growing up with no money have to do with anything in this thread? I admire his father for sacrificing for what he did for his son, but his son was also picked up by Ron Dennis and McLaren at age 13 and he didn’t have to pay for anything after that.

Kimi was poor, Ocon races karts on one set of tires all season and slept in their van. There are the rags to riches stories in F1 if not harder to fine these days.

Lewis can hang out with pop stars or whomever as long as he drives well and he certainly does that, no question. I’m referring to his douche things at the track to which there are many.

And as mentioned before, IMO, it’s a lot of money to drive the best car on grid but if Mercedes is nervous of a Ferrari resurgence, then I’d rather have Hamilton battling Vettel than Bottas
Old 07-21-2018, 05:34 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Any time the argument is made that the athlete makes too much, the argument implicitly supports the notion that ownership should make more. I've never tuned in to watch the owner own.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:00 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

Hamilton gets a paid a lot because some people who probably have a good idea of what they're doing think he's worth it, and they have that money to pay him.

I have full respect for Hamilton as a driver. He's one of the best in the world. I just don't like him as a person, and not because of his lifestyle, but rather because he sometimes shows a very un-sportsmanlike character while participating in his sport (e.g., the way he tried to back up Rossberg, against team orders). Going back to the tennis comparison, Federer is widely loved because he's not only one of the best players ever, but also always a gentlemen on the court.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:38 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Tough quali for the 52 million dollar man...

Should be interesting to see what he can do tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:02 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Tough quali for the 52 million dollar man...

Should be interesting to see what he can do tomorrow.
He looked like he was hungover coming to the track for practice. I did admire him getting out trying to push the car.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:23 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let’s recap:
The $52m man went off track 3 times during Q2 and on the final time, kept the throttle pinned to the floor bouncing his cars gearbox off the curbs and ground. His race engineer tells him to stop the car, but Lewis disregards the message u til he’s closer to the pit in entrance. He then gets out of his car on. Hot track during live qualifying and tries to push it in - against FIA regulations. Finally, before the race, he lobbied to have Nico Rosberg banned from the post race interviews... probably no threat of Hamilton reaching the podium tomorrow anyways...

It was certainly “interesting tactics” that Lewis did today and wondering if the FIA will penalize him for pushing a car on a hot track and deem it “incompetence or deliberate”... The crying like a little bitccch along side the car was a nice touch.

I hope Mercedes got their fair share of marketing potential out of the $52m man today!!!

Signed,
Mr. Salty
Old 07-21-2018, 05:15 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts

I believe he was praying, not crying. Could well be wrong though.

Quick Reply: New Mercedes Deal for Hamilton