Sponsored by:

Had my first DE today

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 10:47 PM
shft22
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Had my first DE today

Today I attended my first DE event, it was a Chin event hosted at Homestead Speed way. I have nothing but great things to say about Chin and the way they run the events, everything was very organized and on time. They paired me with an instructor that was very familiar with the track, they also have two classroom sessions that allow novice drivers to discus and share the days experience.

During the first two sessions, I had brake fading issues, but as I got more comfortable with the car and track I stared using less brakes and driving better keeping more momentum thru the corners and the brakes behaved a lot better.

Over all a great day, we had lots of fun and it was good to revive some of my old racing days experiences and applying them.

I did had an incident on turn 10 that could had been a lot worst than what it was, I got in a bit too hot and late, I will file this under one more experience to draw on. Here is a video of it as seen by my friend camera as he was chasing me with my daughter as a copilot. The laughing at the is their reaction when seeing me and the instructor high five each other.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:54 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Congrats on getting back into the game.They were laughing a bit too loud, no? Glad you had fun and are safe. Welcome back.

Just got home from my first Chin event as well. (Finally, after 2 years, I did a Chin event,)

It was at NJMP Lightning. Fantastic group to run with. I think I got 9 hours of track time in 2 days (they let us solo drivers ALSO run in their advanced run group, and everyone was so well behaved. Expanded passing rules!!!

Then there was 1 hour of "happy hour". All run groups could go out on track together for a full hour. I did that both days, and now I need new tires, but it was well worth it.

Welcome back to the slippery slope. Glad you had fun. That laughing though.....
Old 07-16-2018, 08:27 AM
shft22
Instructor

Yeah, the laughter is my best friend and my daughter. My friend and I have been sharing car experiences since the day we took our driver license test, including that day for me when I showed up to take my driving test on his beefed up 79 Camaro, oh the face of the tester I can still see it, jajaja.

Anyway, the main reasons for them cracking up, outside relieve that I didn't hit the wall, is because they saw me and my instructor doing the same inside my car. For me this was a good experience and reminder of how fast things can go wrong, also it was good to realize that I am still able to process things fast enough were time seems to slow down, but boy do I need to practice.

I have to say the car behaved very well, I don't know if there are any other 16 year old street car out there that can do track as well as this car can do on street trim. It had a bit of understeer but after some practice I was able to rotate the car with the throttle, the traction, off the corners, was incredible, couple of time forgot to turn of the ecs but this becomes apparent right away. I do need to work on the brakes, high performance fluid is a must, I am using cool carbon for pads I think they are ok, the first 3-5 laps of each cession the car brakes were excellent. Another thing is I need a better seat, the factory seats are very good but they lack side support, is hard to drive while holding up to the steering wheel at the same time.

Cant wait for the next one.

Last edited by shft22; 07-16-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:45 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 245 Posts

Congrats on your first DE.
Looks like you and all with you had fun, you are safe and your car intact.
Those were the three most important things to me when I did my first DE.
Attending a well run HPDE with good weather, is pretty tough to beat for weekend fun.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:56 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

Not to be all debbie downer here, but innocent seeming spins can end badly, ask me how I know.

Last edited by DTMiller; 07-16-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:33 AM
IkoIko911
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

curious if you had the traction control turned off?

do you think if the car hadn't been converted to AWD, do you think the AWD would have saved that spin?
Old 07-16-2018, 11:45 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,463 Likes on 964 Posts

The input on the lead car was quick, not smooth for the high speed turn upsetting suspension with no attempt to control getting loose. Once he got loose it appears he/she lifted it was over.

Not sure laughing is/was appropriate but it does give you the mindset of the gopro driver.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:07 PM
shft22
Instructor

Originally Posted by IkoIko911
curious if you had the traction control turned off?

do you think if the car hadn't been converted to AWD, do you think the AWD would have saved that spin?
Yeah traction control was off. I think with the AWD on, this may have been prevented, but I do like the way the car drive with RWD only. The reality of the situation is that I made some mistakes that leaded to this happening. I am looking to improve my driving and learning the car limits, throwing technology at it is not what I want to do.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:25 PM
IkoIko911
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

it was a "learning experience" in the truest form.... you nor your car were hurt.... so its the best kinda lesson :-)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:30 PM
shft22
Instructor

Originally Posted by 996AE
The input on the lead car was quick, not smooth for the high speed turn upsetting suspension with no attempt to control getting loose. Once he got loose it appears he/she lifted it was over.

Not sure laughing is/was appropriate but it does give you the mindset of the gopro driver.
Is not every time that anyone has an opportunity to see on video and analyze what happens before an incident on the track. I was very fortunate my friend and daughter were following me just with the purpose of capturing on video my laps.

What happened here is the result of me getting better with the car and track, I have gotten a very good run into the strait, so I was caring a lot more speed than previous laps, I think this made me turn in a bit later and caring a bit more speed, when the car got of the rumble strips my foot came off the gas a bit do to the bumps, at this point the back end came around very fast and I know I did lifted at this time, my biggest mistake.

I don't see this incident as a failure, but see it as a learning experience, I do believe on driving the car to its/mine limit and every once is a while incidents will happen.

Last edited by shft22; 07-16-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:32 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

For first DE's I usually have my students leave traction control on. Only when they can tell me when and why the nannies intervene do we even contemplate turning them off. Glad you did not touch anything
Old 07-16-2018, 03:53 PM
shft22
Instructor

These are the same session as above a few laps before the spin. Over all a great day.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:51 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

I might suggest leaving the PSM engaged for the next few dozen events.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:11 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by g-50cab
For first DE's I usually have my students leave traction control on. Only when they can tell me when and why the nannies intervene do we even contemplate turning them off. Glad you did not touch anything
I believe the owner did in fact turn the systems off. I think they should have been left on for a first time DE experience.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:45 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,379 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by g-50cab
Originally Posted by brownan
I might suggest leaving the PSM engaged for the next few dozen events.
Originally Posted by 177mph
I believe the owner did in fact turn the systems off. I think they should have been left on for a first time DE experience.
+1

I don't allow first timers to turn off the nannies.

Quick Reply: Had my first DE today