Sponsored by:

Thought on 2019 HaasF1 Line Up

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 07:37 PM
Joe T
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought on 2019 HaasF1 Line Up

I was reading an article in F1 Racing about Kevin Magnussen and how well he is fitting into HassF1. Given RG's poor season to date, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get dropped for next year. Then it hit me like a bolt of the obvious. How cool would it be if Haas was able to secure Kimi Raikkonen's services for next year? It strikes me that Ferrari are leaning heavily towards Leclerc with good reason. Given Haas's relationship with Ferrari and their dramatic improvement in speed (if not execution), I would love to see Kimi there. Am I just in fantasy land or does anyone think that could remotely be a possibility? TIA.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:32 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

I'd like to see Kimi stay in F1 for any team. He is the most entertaining guy on and off the track. It would be fun to see Kimi an Kevin bump heads but Haas doesn't have the money. He took a massive pay cut to stay at Ferrari and it's still $7-10 million. RG makes 1.5 and Magnussen even less. But you are right. With the Ferrari connection Haas would love to have him.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:42 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 105 Posts

I’d like to see him stick around, and think he’d be a great addition to Haas. But with the egos that those guys inherently all have to have, I wonder if he wouldn’t rather just go out with a top team instead of floundering around midpack for a couple of years (not that many others before him haven’t done exactly that)
Old 07-14-2018, 09:21 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I've only started following F1 about 2 or 3 years ago. I don't understand why every year they say that it might be Kimi's last year at Ferrari. He seems to be a good team mate to Vettel, playing a supporting role when Vettel is up and often taking up the slack and bringing home points when Vettel is down?

Why are they even thinking of changing drivers?
Old 07-14-2018, 02:06 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Kimi stays because Vettel wants him to--no way Seb wants Ricciardo as a teammate because Danny might be faster as he was in 2014 when they were with Red Bull. If Danny replaces anybody at Ferrari it would be Vettel.

Leclerc to Haas first (replacing Grosjean who's out of F1 because he sucks), then to Ferrari if he continues to progress.

As much of a meathead that Young Max is (even Dr Marko who has tirelessly supported him is pissed at him now for all this year's early crashes) his talent is undeniable--I wouldn't be surprised if Danny stayed to watch Max unravel completely.

It pains me to say this but even though the Williams is not competitive, Stroll has gotten so bad that he'd be out on the street if not for you-know-what.

And Alonso stays with McLaren who will let him pursue Indy and LeMans.

Can't wait for next year to see how wrong I am

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 07-14-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:41 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,509 Likes on 2,090 Posts

LeCLerc to HAAS and Kimi stays for another year at Ferrari. Kimi’s done a great job as a strong #2. Traditionally, Ferrari likes to announce their line ups near the Monza weekend so we’ll have to wait for the answer
Old 07-15-2018, 12:44 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 118 Posts

A bit off topic but re: SV’s supposed objections to DR at Ferrari:
Lots F1 followers, and Ricciardo himself, make a such a big deal about one season when DR was faster in some races than SV. But at the age of 31, SV is four-time world champion where as DR has won just 5-6 grandprixs and still of contract for next year! !Winning in F1 is just not about being fast in a fastest car. It is also about how you get there...ie. Making the car fast along with the driver. So it is about being consistently very fast, not crashing,being able to develop the car throughout the season and having a killler instinct. SV has all that where as DR obviously lacks something. They both started at Torro Russo and look where they are now. Also, take Alonso (FA)..a superb driver but he is unable to work with the team to develop a car (Ferrari and MCLAREN). The fact that Ferrari turnaround happened with SV is no coincidence. Schumacher did the same at Ferrari. Perhaps it is no coincidence that Ferrari and McLAREN both struggled when they had FA on board. One lap fast guys, e.g. Verstappen (still with potential), Maldonado and others haven’t quite matched the accomplishments of SV, LH and MS yet.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:58 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 96 Posts

Just watched the movie Rush about James Hunt and Niki Lauda this past weekend (on Amazon). Good times back then, but it was dangerous.

I have not heard Kimi talk beyond the few words he will say on the podium, but the "all business" approach by Lauda seems to be Kimi's style too. However, watched the yacht video, so maybe he lives the James Hunt lifestyle anonymously!

I would love to see the high-level financial balance sheet of a team like Haas. How much does he get from sponsors vs. his own company? The idea of doubling or tripling a driver's salary would be tough to swallow.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:40 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aryork
Just watched the movie Rush about James Hunt and Niki Lauda this past weekend (on Amazon). Good times back then, but it was dangerous.

I have not heard Kimi talk beyond the few words he will say on the podium, but the "all business" approach by Lauda seems to be Kimi's style too. However, watched the yacht video, so maybe he lives the James Hunt lifestyle anonymously!
He does. Before the 2007 season he entered a snowmobile race in Finland. He just signed a contract with Ferrari so this was strictly forbidden. Kimi's solution; he entered the race under the pseudonym "James Hunt". He, of course, won the race.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:15 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,426 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by Hula
He does. Before the 2007 season he entered a snowmobile race in Finland. He just signed a contract with Ferrari so this was strictly forbidden. Kimi's solution; he entered the race under the pseudonym "James Hunt". He, of course, won the race.
That is an awesome story. Kimi has always been much more fun off the track than on the podium. I'm married to a Finn so I can tell you they are "different" people. Kimi going to his yacht in 2006 was the absolute best Kimi moment in my opinion.

To echo what others have said, there is absolutely no reason to get rid of Kimi. He is consistent, grabs tons of podiums which leads to points for the constructors championship, and most importantly SV likes having him around. It would be nice to see him on the top step especially since the car seems capable under SV to do the same.

The only move I potentially see for next year is Grossjean out and LeClerc in at Haas. If he does well it will be on to Ferrari. LeClerc still needs to get a few seasons under his belt as Ferrari doesn't hire young drivers.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
That is an awesome story. Kimi has always been much more fun off the track than on the podium. I'm married to a Finn so I can tell you they are "different" people. Kimi going to his yacht in 2006 was the absolute best Kimi moment in my opinion.

To echo what others have said, there is absolutely no reason to get rid of Kimi. He is consistent, grabs tons of podiums which leads to points for the constructors championship, and most importantly SV likes having him around. It would be nice to see him on the top step especially since the car seems capable under SV to do the same.
He's also the last driver to win a championship for Ferrari but the best Kimi moment was when his wife, the Miss Scandinavia winner, caught him in bed with two women. Too bad no video.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:22 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 151 Posts

I think it would be neat to see what a top driver could do in a Haas F1 car. I think Kimi will stay at Ferrari until he retires, which will be a sad day since he's along with Hamilton are the last two characters in F1.

Quick Reply: Thought on 2019 HaasF1 Line Up