Verstappen says he’d consider Indy and LeMans when “old & slow”

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 11:34 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Everything the kid said in the article was true. He was direct and honest — just being quoted out of context for dramatic (click) value. Every LeMans or Indy driver, including the top ones, would jump to a top F1 team if offered, no questions asked.

"When you have the best car on the grid, everyone can win with that car. Any F1 driver could have won in the Mercedes for the last four years. Everyone knows that. That's why you don't see (Lewis) Hamilton leaving to do these things because he doesn't need to. It's the same for me. I'm in a position to fight for victories, so my motivation is very high. I don't want to do Le Mans or IndyCar or whatever."

Verstappen said that Alonso is not the only driver who has lost motivation in Formula 1.

"My father had the same problem," said Verstappen, referring again to his father and former Formula 1 driver Jos. "He (Jos) was in F1 but he didn't win, and there's a moment when the motivation simply disappears and it kills you inside."

To be fair, the headline also could have read, "Verstappen believes Lewis Hamilton is not special and that anyone could have won in the Mercedes the last 4 years". Also a true statement, no? I think what you are missing is that the article is directly related to Alonso due to the questioning of the two other series. In fact, Alonso is not old and slow, but rather older and still probably the best driver on the grid, he just isn't in a top 3 car. The motivation may or may not be there (because who can really say what Alonso is thinking), the real question is why can't a top driver like Alonso get into a top 3 team?

Perhaps the motivation is not there for Alonso because his talent is being wasted at McLaren? Personally, I'd love to see Ricciardo go to another team and pair Verstappen with Alonso to see how old and slow Alonso really is.

With regard to Jos Verstappen, he was in a top team (Benetton) and title winning car, but couldn't keep pace with his much faster teammate (Schumacher). It's probably not easy to compete with one of the all-time legends of F1, but he did have a championship winning car underneath him.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,484 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
To be fair, the headline also could have read, "Verstappen believes Lewis Hamilton is not special and that anyone could have won in the Mercedes the last 4 years". Also a true statement, no? I think what you are missing is that the article is directly related to Alonso due to the questioning of the two other series. In fact, Alonso is not old and slow, but rather older and still probably the best driver on the grid, he just isn't in a top 3 car. The motivation may or may not be there (because who can really say what Alonso is thinking), the real question is why can't a top driver like Alonso get into a top 3 team?

Perhaps the motivation is not there for Alonso because his talent is being wasted at McLaren? Personally, I'd love to see Ricciardo go to another team and pair Verstappen with Alonso to see how old and slow Alonso really is.

With regard to Jos Verstappen, he was in a top team (Benetton) and title winning car, but couldn't keep pace with his much faster teammate (Schumacher). It's probably not easy to compete with one of the all-time legends of F1, but he did have a championship winning car underneath him.
Good points. I don't think all of the F1 drivers are equally good - the differences are quite small, but consequential. Factoring in good and bad luck, it doesn't seem that Bottas is quite matching Hamilton, and it took so much out of Rossberg to beat Hamilton that he didn't want to make the sacrifices involved in trying to do it again. I don't like Hamilton as a person, but I respect his driving ability. I suspect that Alonso is still among the best F1 drivers out there, but has uncompetitive cars/team, though he does get paid very well, which may be part of the reason he stays. Verstappen and LeClerc both seem to have a little something extra and look like future stars to me - if they have competitive cars/teams. Ricciardo sometimes shines, but is sometimes a bit eclipsed by Verstappen. Vettel still shows brilliance, and Raikkonen seems to consistently fall a bit short of him.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:58 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,105 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Max is dead wrong and the article didn't misquote him. He is saying that if you aren't driving in F1 you ain't $hit.

Let's look at Alonso as the example.

I don't think Alonso is motivated to drive in other series because McLaren has been sucking wind the last few years. I believe McLaren's desire to retain him has given him the flexibility to do things other drivers would not be allowed to do.

I also believe Alonso has a greater sense of history and wants to prove to himself that he is one of the great drivers by completing the triple-crown.

Alonso may be "old" but he ain't slow and I do not think he is lacking in motivation. I think Alonso gave himself a bucket list and he is ticking the boxes. If anything, it shows a competitive spirit, not the reverse.

One day, when Max is an old 30 year old, I hope he takes back his words.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:49 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

There are drivers that can only do well if the car is perfectly the way they like it. Alonso is not one of them. He has the ability to wring the most out the car that is given him. Don't see any loss of motivation.

I think he is one the best drivers in F1. Look how he stomps Vandorne every race.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:27 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Everything the kid said in the article was true. He was direct and honest — just being quoted out of context for dramatic (click) value. Every LeMans or Indy driver, including the top ones, would jump to a top F1 team if offered, no questions asked.

"When you have the best car on the grid, everyone can win with that car. Any F1 driver could have won in the Mercedes for the last four years. Everyone knows that. That's why you don't see (Lewis) Hamilton leaving to do these things because he doesn't need to. It's the same for me. I'm in a position to fight for victories, so my motivation is very high. I don't want to do Le Mans or IndyCar or whatever."

Verstappen said that Alonso is not the only driver who has lost motivation in Formula 1.

"My father had the same problem," said Verstappen, referring again to his father and former Formula 1 driver Jos. "He (Jos) was in F1 but he didn't win, and there's a moment when the motivation simply disappears and it kills you inside."

I agree
It's all manufactured drama.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:26 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Max is dead wrong and the article didn't misquote him. He is saying that if you aren't driving in F1 you ain't $hit.

Let's look at Alonso as the example.

I don't think Alonso is motivated to drive in other series because McLaren has been sucking wind the last few years. I believe McLaren's desire to retain him has given him the flexibility to do things other drivers would not be allowed to do.

I also believe Alonso has a greater sense of history and wants to prove to himself that he is one of the great drivers by completing the triple-crown.

Alonso may be "old" but he ain't slow and I do not think he is lacking in motivation. I think Alonso gave himself a bucket list and he is ticking the boxes. If anything, it shows a competitive spirit, not the reverse.

One day, when Max is an old 30 year old, I hope he takes back his words.
Exactamundo.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:07 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,647 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yep, nothing unreasonable in that article, best to not react to things quoted out of context. Journalists often cherry pick and take things out of context in order to pursue agendas and get audiences, I've seen that happen with my own statements. Seems clear to me that he's saying there's no reason to move out of the pinnacle of F1 unless he can't get into a competitive car/team or his skills start to fall off.
Originally Posted by hf1

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
I agree
It's all manufactured drama.
+1

Quick Reply: Verstappen says he’d consider Indy and LeMans when “old & slow”