Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody going to COTA this Friday 13th?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 01:31 PM
SapphireGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody going to COTA this Friday 13th?

This will be the night event, "Under the Lights" at COTA. Any tips or thoughts? First time doing the night
Old 07-10-2018, 01:22 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Not that much different than in the day -- if its lit enough.

Biggest issue is getting blinded by oncoming traffic -- but you'll probably be dealing with OEM headlamps -- so it won't be that bad.

If it is, flip your mirrors out of the way -- you'll know if someone is coming up on you and what side as your interior illuminates. You can set your mirrors
to be real narrow field so that you can see only close to the car -- so that you can let folks pass and "see" them if need be -- but I've never had any issues
even with racing -- if they are closing fast, let them by, if they are annoying you with their lights, let them by.

Since I have only tracked at night while racing -- I'm not sure how point by's work -- or if I would be able to see them that well, but I can assure you at night,
the oncoming car can illuminate and see fairly well if you stick an arm out the window -- put some reflective tape on your wrist area!

Mike
Old 07-10-2018, 05:25 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Thought about going but too much going on, should only be one or two sessions at night since it's dark at 9 and the event ends at 11 pm. Let us know what you think.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:49 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

BTW, T18/19/20 sucks staring into the sun during sunset. Drove that one time in the winter on the last session and had to pull in as my visibility through my lexan was terrible.

Never noticed until twilight.

Mike
Old 07-11-2018, 02:23 PM
SapphireGT3
Advanced

Yeah...I plan on bringing both lenses for my helemt (clear and the shade one)...I might skip twilight until the sun is not bothersome. Should be fun
Old 07-19-2018, 01:17 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

So what was the verdict?

How was the evening event?

thanks,

Mike
Old 07-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

It was beyond amazing, and I didn't even drive! I will next time though for sure...
Old 07-19-2018, 07:54 PM
SapphireGT3
Advanced

It was great. Good thing was that I had some muscle memory and track was well mapped out in my mind from previous sessions. Otherwise, It would be significantly harder. Some corners were very dark near the apex. I also observed that it seems easier to fixate on other cars taillights. As a side note, passing was done with blinker lights and I had my windows up. So much better and more relaxing than windows down.

Quick Reply: Anybody going to COTA this Friday 13th?