Sponsored by:

Tire Reco For Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 12:33 PM
patrickkirby
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Tire Reco For Track Days

Looking for tire reco (Michelin PS4 vs PSC2) for mostly track days, autocross and a couple mountain drives a year. 2005 Boxster S dedicated track car with PSS-9 sport suspension, not daily driven, but driven to track events. I have some prior track experiences (4 events) not a novice and not an expert. Looking to build skills and have fun over the next year and see where it takes me. Thats for your advice.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:37 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

cups 2 are dry weather only tire... ps4 would better all arounder esp if driven in wet but less dry grip

other dry day only track tires

hankook rs4
dunlop star specs
nitto nt01
b stone re71r
Old 07-06-2018, 02:16 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
cups 2 are dry weather only tire... ps4 would better all arounder esp if driven in wet but less dry grip

other dry day only track tires

hankook rs4
dunlop star specs
nitto nt01
b stone re71r
RE71Rs are fantastic in the wet as well as the dry.

Gary
Old 07-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

nt01
Old 07-06-2018, 02:33 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Those are both good tires but for different reasons.
What is the "better" tire for you depends on what you want out of it. The PSC2 have more grip, less tread depth, and are more expensive. The PS4S are more comfortable, better in the rain, and probably other things.

I can't really speak to how long either will last for primarily track use but there is a lot of variables that can affect that. Likewise, from my (second-hand) knowledge of autocrossing, the "best" tires for that are not the same as the best tires for an HPDE day. Depending on your goals part of being competitive in auto-x (i.e. placing first) is being in the right class, and some classes have restrictions on UTQG treadwear ratings (200 sounds familiar) that the PSC2 may not meet.

Your perception of either of these tires may be different based on what you currently have as well. I recently upgraded replaced my Pilot Sport PS2 N2 to PS4S. I immediately noticed that the sidewalls were softer and the car was slightly less responsive. Despite this, after doing a track event with them they seemed like they had more total grip. If you're coming from a high-perf all season though, the Cup2 may be more than is necessary at this point and you would be just as well off with the PS4S.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Hankook RS4 or RE71r.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:01 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PS4S

Just switched to the PS4S - and 18" wheels from 17s and PS2 - - 225 front 265 rear - - excellent tires . . . 100 MPH canyon carver . . .
Regards,

Old 07-06-2018, 07:09 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I used Pilot Super Ports on my 997 for track days. Very satisfied with both wet and dry performance and they lasted 18 DE days.

I now have a BMW E46 as a dedicated track car and am running RS4s - so far it's not rained but I would like to be driving any distance in very wet conditions. I like them in the dry.

I tried one day with some Sumitomo HTRs on the 911. Quite crap. I don't recommend them at all for any track use.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:04 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

How much does cost matter to you? Cup2s will be about $300 more a set and will not last as long as PS4. I've driven Cup 2 in the wet on street and track and thought they were ok. Take care around standing water of course. For your use case though I would go RE71r. Good tire.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:56 PM
patrickkirby
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the recos. I should have mentioned that I work for Michelin. So outside of BFG Rivals (which they don't make in 19's) I will stick with Michelin's and the employee discount makes cost less of an issue. I'm really trying to figure out which tire is best for the first year of DE/Track Days to re-learn some skills and improve my driving. I know the local PCA and other Track Day organizers prohibit or recommend that beginners and early intermediates not run on slicks. Its been four years since I've been on the track. I live in the south so rain can be an issue but I'm not overly concerned about that.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:39 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm a big fan of the Yokohama AD08R tires. They're the best all purpose tire I've found. I have heard the RE71Rs are great too although perhaps a little more track focused. I use my car for AX, about 5 DE weekends a year and lots of twisty canyon runs. They aren't as good as PS4 in the rain, not as good as PSC2 on the track (but very close). They push the m97 platform to the brink of what it can survive w/o making oil system modifications. They have hard sidewalls so you can air them down w/o rolling over the rims.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:23 PM
badhabit_wb
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd stick with the cup 2's unless you plan to run in the rain. If you're running in the rain the ps4's are much better. I have 2 sets of wheels/tires with ps4's and cup 2's. Cups are for the track. Ps4's for the street. I don't run in the rain anymore because I don't like getting soaked and having a soggy interior and seats. The racetech seats get soggy pretty quick.

Quick Reply: Tire Reco For Track Days