Sponsored by:

Track day - tape plastic headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 11:07 PM
cmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleDare
Hi all. I'm getting ready for my first DE - Laguna Seca next week.

I know you have to tape up your headlights if they're glass, but what's the consensus on the newer plastic ones. Tape to protect against rocks and rubber, or not required?
Wow, advice all over the place here. Yeah, it's true that few instructors are taping their headlights up--but that has more to do with the cars they're driving than anything else. If I'm driving my race car, I'm certainly not taping anything up--unless it needs tape to stay on the car. That said, if I take my 981 GTS with its newly replaced headlights out for some reason, there will be a couple layers of blue tape on those things. Why? Well, I ran the car pretty hard doing a lot of DE with it for a couple years and the headlights looked terrible. Heavily pitted beyond the "buff out" stage. Never gave it much thought--figured I'd just replace them if I ever got tired of tracking the car. Then I ended up getting them replaced through insurance after a highway incident and discovered something interesting---they're $2600. Each.

So yeah, XPEL and anything else you want to throw at it if it's nice, shiny and lives most of its life on the street... Then, when you get serious about the hobby buy something you won't obsess over cosmetics with.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-02-2018, 11:34 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cmac
Wow, advice all over the place here. Yeah, it's true that few instructors are taping their headlights up--but that has more to do with the cars they're driving than anything else. If I'm driving my race car, I'm certainly not taping anything up--unless it needs tape to stay on the car. That said, if I take my 981 GTS with its newly replaced headlights out for some reason, there will be a couple layers of blue tape on those things. Why? Well, I ran the car pretty hard doing a lot of DE with it for a couple years and the headlights looked terrible. Heavily pitted beyond the "buff out" stage. Never gave it much thought--figured I'd just replace them if I ever got tired of tracking the car. Then I ended up getting them replaced through insurance after a highway incident and discovered something interesting---they're $2600. Each.

So yeah, XPEL and anything else you want to throw at it if it's nice, shiny and lives most of its life on the street... Then, when you get serious about the hobby buy something you won't obsess over cosmetics with.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Cmac. I had no idea they cost that much.

So, Tracwrap over the shiny parts, but still not sure about the headlights since Tracwrap can delaminate them.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:29 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by cmac
This I agree with. My BS is a daily driver and like to be able to shine her up without parts looking sandblasted. When I get a dedicated track car, it won't have Tracwrap or tape on it.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:50 AM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I tape the lights on my GT4 and have not had any issues when pulling off the tape. The lights still look new. I put on a layer of blue painters tape first and then cover with a layer of green automotive tape. The green tape seems to have stronger adhesive, so I put the blue tape under it to reduce the potential for delamination
Old 07-05-2018, 04:30 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

TWO colors of tape??

Quick Reply: Track day - tape plastic headlights?