Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering from New England to LCMT

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 11:32 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

I'm the guy who sent Stan C. the warning about Montreal traffic, which came from my father who lives in the city. Stan forwarded it, and I think he included the recommended alternate directions (again per my dad). I am trailering tomorrow, will be following that route. I checked the highway conditions along the route y'day, looked ok. From memory, for those of us coming north from New England:
  • 15 or 10 north, to
  • 30 West, to
  • 40 East in Vaudreuil-Dorion, to
  • 13 North in Saint-Laurent, to
  • 440 East, to
  • 15 North
You can go through Hawkesbury and Montebello, lovely areas, my step-mom's family had a lovely place there. But as others note, 327 is a secondary road and travel will be slow. Good luck!

Kevin

Last edited by KevinGross; 07-05-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:33 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerome104
everyone - stay away from Montreal its a complete GONG show. BUT a very easy way is heading up north on I-81 toward Ottawa then Montebello. Its a cinch from there. I cross the border regularly back and forth for races and I would say having a carefully inventoried list of trailer contents helps on either side of the borders coming in. Please do come visit us.
With respect - head from New England to Syracuse then north on 81?
That is a huge detour - you sure about that?
Where are you starting from?
Old 07-05-2018, 08:50 AM
Jerome104
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick starting point was from New Jersey not New England - point was to go through Montebello even if secondary route.

you can also refer to this site for bridge closures

http://www.newchamplain.ca/traffic/traffic-and-detours/
Old 07-07-2018, 08:01 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGross
I'm the guy who sent Stan C. the warning about Montreal traffic, which came from my father who lives in the city. Stan forwarded it, and I think he included the recommended alternate directions (again per my dad). I am trailering tomorrow, will be following that route. I checked the highway conditions along the route y'day, looked ok. From memory, for those of us coming north from New England:
  • 15 or 10 north, to
  • 30 West, to
  • 40 East in Vaudreuil-Dorion, to
  • 13 North in Saint-Laurent, to
  • 440 East, to
  • 15 North
Kevin
Wouldn't surprise me if this is not a legit route starting Monday AM. The whole usual Champlain/15N/Decarie interchange will be an unmitigated disaster area... the route proposed above will probably add 40 miles (max), but could save you a ton of time if you're rolling.

Take a look, alternatively, at the other direction (east) - 132 east (from the base of the Champlain Bridge), then 25N Tunnel (fuel transport limited to 7 gallons), 40 W, then reconnecting to the usual 15N to the Laurentians. This will be about 20 miles detour, so may be better, but will also probably be more congested than option 1 above.

Suggestion: Pull off at a Mcdonalds well before Montreal, log into wifi, and see what the options look like with Google maps and/or Waze.

Good luck!

I live at the edge of the Champlain bridge and will probably do the east or west detour above and avoid the bridge/city altogether.

M
Old 07-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks, I totally got trapped by Waze and Montreal on the way up. What a mess. We are taking a far more scenic route on the way home!
Old 07-09-2018, 10:33 AM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We rolled right through Montreal last night at about 6:00 on 15 south to 10 east. Can't guarantee anything today but it was a nice surprise last night.
Buzz

Quick Reply: Trailering from New England to LCMT