Sponsored by:

Unusual wear on Hoosier R7

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 12:10 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual wear on Hoosier R7

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced unusual wear. I've been running R6s now R7s for some time (10ish years) and I always get even wear, but my latest set wore on the outside - on all four corners. Not a camber issue as they've always worn evenly, and all four corners. Pressure is set after the first or second run group and then run slowly back up to pressure, so I don't think it's that, but maybe the 7s aren't building heat as fast. Anyone???
Old 06-09-2018, 12:52 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 198 Likes on 105 Posts

Maybe a new track? Maybe running a little faster? needing a bit more camber? Any suspension/alignment setting changes?
Old 06-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 872 Posts

When was the last time the car was aligned?
Old 06-09-2018, 01:49 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
When was the last time the car was aligned?
About a year ago, but I've really only run DE with it. No offs or anything else that would cause an issue. Not only that but it was on all four corners. I could understand if it were just the front, or just the rear, but... I'm really thinking pressure. The constant heat up and then cool down of DE, could be the issue.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:20 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Some things I've noticed that cause the wear pattern to change on R7s that are not because the alignment suddenly changed.
- Track surface. When COTA shaved the track down to remove bumps, it left the surface with crosshatching patterns that are very abrasive, which resulted in the outside edges on the rear tires to get what I can best describe as a chamfer grated into them. It is almost as if a notch was cut into the out side 2" with a cheese grater.
- Hooning. R7s do not like to slide or spin. At COTA there are quite a few very low speed corners that are easy to have a bit of fun with. It's almost an on/off switch. If I play with the car for one session the inside edges of the rears get shredded.

From an alignment perspective, a toe change/slip is probably the biggest contributor to strange wear patterns in my experience so far. Depending on the suspension travel or track, that can be outside or inside wear.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:44 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

R7 has a little more stick thus needs slightly more camber or your bushings are wearing or deflecting more.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:40 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Most likely your setup has changed and you need to have it checked and realigned. I had the same issue and I was surprised to see how much my setup was off after roughly 15 track days. Tire wear is the best way to see if you've got setup problems.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:11 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Some things I've noticed that cause the wear pattern to change on R7s that are not because the alignment suddenly changed.
- Track surface. When COTA shaved the track down to remove bumps, it left the surface with crosshatching patterns that are very abrasive, which resulted in the outside edges on the rear tires to get what I can best describe as a chamfer grated into them. It is almost as if a notch was cut into the out side 2" with a cheese grater.
- Hooning. R7s do not like to slide or spin. At COTA there are quite a few very low speed corners that are easy to have a bit of fun with. It's almost an on/off switch. If I play with the car for one session the inside edges of the rears get shredded.

From an alignment perspective, a toe change/slip is probably the biggest contributor to strange wear patterns in my experience so far. Depending on the suspension travel or track, that can be outside or inside wear.
Ironically, I ran COTA on them last, but I'm pretty sure that was before the shaving. When did it happen?
Old 06-12-2018, 01:12 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
Most likely your setup has changed and you need to have it checked and realigned. I had the same issue and I was surprised to see how much my setup was off after roughly 15 track days. Tire wear is the best way to see if you've got setup problems.
Definitely, a possibility as I'm sure I'm over 15 days. I'll have to have it checked.

Quick Reply: Unusual wear on Hoosier R7