Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rules Change Proposal PCA CR - Points for All Races/All racers who take the green

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 02:05 AM
Greg Phillips
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
While there is some merit to keeping all events equal, I think there are more compelling reasons for all races to count. The majority of people treat all races the same but some treat race 1 as qualifying. Speaking of qualifying; what happened to green flag out qualifying sessions? Used to be the norm but I haven't seen one in years. I know it's problematic on small tracks but I don't remember it being an issue at the larger ones. Also agree that starts should count, not finishes. If they started, they were in the race. Doesn't matter if you finish a foot in front or 15 laps, you finished in front of them. I will send an email.
I think you are seeing the effect of having rookies/provisional candidates. They have to have 3 practice sessions and do the practice starts/fun race to get their provisional license. Qualifying does not count as a practice session as they go green from the start and practice sessions start yellow.

Greg
Old 05-26-2018, 09:32 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Speaking of qualifying; what happened to green flag out qualifying sessions? Used to be the norm but I haven't seen one in years. I know it's problematic on small tracks but I don't remember it being an issue at the larger ones.
The reason for this is that due to rising track costs the regions jampack the schedule to where there is no more room to have separate qualifying sessions on Saturday for each group, hence most race weekends determine the Race 1 grid from Practice 3.

Great topic BTW JD - I just sent my email.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:47 AM
cmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C4 Pazzo
My understanding is one of PCA's concerns with counting all races is that people would attend fewer events (less $$ for the Regions). While I seriously doubt this would be the case (if it were then wouldn't we see more racers doing more events than indicated by the statistics you cited?), I think the decision makers believe it to be true. Increasing the maximum races that count towards the championship proportionally to the increase in points-counting races would address this concern. It sounds like you think the current number of 8 is too high, but I bet the chances of a rules change proposal to reduce that to 6 would have even less chance for success than we've had with the perfectly sensible idea that all of the races should be counted equally, rather than all of the events.

I fully support any effort to create more opportunities to race, so if only increasing the number to 10 is acceptable, I'm fine with that.
+1 ... While I'm OK with 8 I would like to see participation encouraged, so I think 10 is better. IMO this is a more than reasonable counterbalance to the concern that people will do fewer events.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:08 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C4 Pazzo
It sounds like you think the current number of 8 is too high, but I bet the chances of a rules change proposal to reduce that to 6 would have even less chance for success than we've had with the perfectly sensible idea that all of the races should be counted equally, rather than all of the events.
Originally Posted by cmac
+1 ... While I'm OK with 8 I would like to see participation encouraged, so I think 10 is better. IMO this is a more than reasonable counterbalance to the concern that people will do fewer events.
I think 8-10 is appropriate. Even 8 races likely requires 4 race weekends.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:20 PM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks Frank - Evan and others have been trying to make this happen for a long time, hope PCA listens to all these racers who want to #makeItCount

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

Great topic BTW JD - I just sent my email.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:23 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

So we chose 10 because 3 races a weekend x 3 is 9.....10th race is the 4th event.........
current rule is 8, requires 4 weekends as well.

10 will help for 2 race events cause you cant still hit the max with 4 events....12 would make a 5th required but if your gonna complain about "having" to race a 5th weekend.....cmon....you care enough you will go to races till you are maxed point wise

appreciate all the comments and support and especially Fumes help and organization

june 1 is deadline, get them and any others you may have submitted asap, and enjoy the long weekend
see some of you at the Glen
Old 05-26-2018, 01:26 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,427 Likes on 1,942 Posts

I'm only in favor of including the best 10 races if they make all races in a weekend count. Otherwise, it punishes people who less than five races a season.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:47 PM
Fumes
Racer

Todd we 1000% agree — that’s why we bundled those two proposed changes together. Our hope is we get both. When you submit a comment if you havent yet, good to emphasize that those changes need to happen together....

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I'm only in favor of including the best 10 races if they make all races in a weekend count. Otherwise, it punishes people who less than five races a season.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:01 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Agree with this too, and that is my caveat. We must have both, and not one or the other individually.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:08 PM
Fumes
Racer

Yep! Please, if you are willing, include that in your comment to the committee at rules@pcaclubracing.org

For those not email inclined, you can also submit a comment of support for Evan’s proposed changes at http://pcaclubracing.org/rules/addendum/

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
Agree with this too, and that is my caveat. We must have both, and not one or the other individually.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:42 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 704 Likes on 339 Posts

Totally agree and rule change suggestion sent
Thanks
Rich
Old 05-27-2018, 09:13 AM
Fumes
Racer

Thanks Rich, glad you agree and appreciate your help.

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Totally agree and rule change suggestion sent
Thanks
Rich
Old 05-27-2018, 01:17 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Our voices have been heard, no need to submit any more requests, lets not flood the inbox any more

big thanks to everyone. Will update with anything else i hear

again thanks
Old 05-27-2018, 02:18 PM
Fumes
Racer

Thanks to all who supported the proposal !

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Our voices have been heard, no need to submit any more requests, lets not flood the inbox any more
Old 05-27-2018, 04:20 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,427 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Are you saying all these changes were accepted by PCA?

Quick Reply: Rules Change Proposal PCA CR - Points for All Races/All racers who take the green