Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting fed up with racing -too much time and money...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 10:37 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It’s ironic these two threads ended up next to each other.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:42 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir5n
It’s ironic these two threads ended up next to each other.
Currently the third is “planning for engine replacement”! More irony haha!
Old 05-15-2018, 11:01 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My best part just flip flopped on the truck, trailer and Radical. Good grief! All three threads are becoming one.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:44 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
And for anyone who says DE is a perfectly fine substitute for wheel to wheel racing, No effing way. It’s fine if you want to drive around wasting gas, smoke cigars, and circle jerk, but cannot remotely compare to the excitement of W2W.
I raced SCCA for 5 years, Then started doing DE's. (because racing became too much like work).

My first DE weekend I quickly realized DE's were NOT test days, when I almost rear ended a car that suddenly slowed before a brake zone for no apparent reason, and I went off to miss them. (vs just pass in a brake zone before turn-in)

That said, for me, Instructing at DE's has been almost as rewarding as racing.
I love to see a student progress and get that mile wide smile as they start to 'get it'. Even better when you've worked with someone a few weekends and see them move up to solo, then instructor, or even racer.

I would encourage everyone to consider instructing at DE's. the benefits can be priceless.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:41 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to drive to DE and circle around. Then I got open trailer to tow street car, then got a race car with enclosed. It was fun buying bunch of stuff and seeing myself improve and understand this and that.

Then it was too much planning to pick up the trailer, pick up the race car from the shop, load up, start towing - then worry about where to park and unloading blah blah. Enjoyed every moment of it though but it was a big hassle and became a second job. I'm lazy so I got burned out.

I do 3-4 events of DE per year if that. It's simple. I drive there and circle around and come back. Sure I miss using sticky tires but simplicity was key for me. I was so happy to pack up less than an hour the night before.

If I ever get back with a race car, I will only consider arrive and drive and have the shop do every single maintenance and prep for me. Even feed and chew my food for me lol
Old 05-16-2018, 11:04 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
I raced dirt bikes (motorcycles) from a young age into my 30s (in the 1990s) - MX, hare scrambles or desert races, and enduros. I was an expert rider. Had my first child. Soon after a friend got paralyzed in a race. Then a fellow rider hit a telephone poll and killed himself. Then a friend I was riding behind went over the handle bars, and we thought he was dead - a helo had to come and get him (broken ribs, concussion, but full recovery). My wife was not happy with my hobby. Sold the bike.

Fast forward a decade or more and I got a Cayman S. Did the Porsche Driving Experience. Did it again. Got a GT4 and started going to the track. Crashed it, fixed it, and have finally convinced the spouse I will not kill myself. Oldest has graduated college, middle son is a rising sophomore, youngest is a rising senior in HS. We did (and are done with) travel hockey!

I like DE events. When I watch the racers and talk to them, it seems to me that you may actually get more driving time in a DE weekend than a race weekend. I love the 987 race cars with a huge wing. Maybe I'll get one, but I do not think I will race it. At age 53, it just does not seem like the right thing to do. I"m a pretty competitive person and like the adrenaline rush of going fast, but I think DEs are the most extreme events in my future.
I never raced dirt bikes but rode them for a while, i started in my middle 30s, after a few close calls, high sides, whisky throttles LOL, i quit at 42. Time is my biggest complaint about racing but i think i am going to look at the enduro races and do some DEs as well. That should take care of my track/racing itch until i have more time.

Quick Reply: Getting fed up with racing -too much time and money...