Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting fed up with racing -too much time and money...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 02:16 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If the car and trailer are a hassle, maybe consider just volunteering for a race weekend? You could get the camaraderie of seeing all your friends at the track (and helping them out) without expense and hassle of running the car. Also might be a good test to see how strong that itch is to get on the track.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:22 PM
s4magman
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Step back and just do DE for a while. Getting on the track and having some fun is all that a person needs.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:46 PM
josserman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a shake down today and omfg I forgot how amazing it feels to be out on the track in my race car. Literally can’t wait for next weekends endurance race. almost 2yrs since I’ve been in the car. Shook off the cob webs after one session. Car ran amazing too! Had one issue but easy to fix before next weekend. Trailers pretty much set too now.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:53 PM
josserman
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajcjr
The timing of this thread could not have been better. I started off drag racing when i was 18 and did that for 3 years, took a break from racing to get my career and life started, once married i started drag racing again for 3 years, then i went into kart racing for about 5 years, then into my SRF which i sold last year. 2017 was the first year i didnt race anything in a while but i did track days on a SV650. Come this year i wanted to get back on track but after looking at my sons travel hockey schedule and some trips we have planned i figured id have a few solid weekends i could dedicate to racing, so my plan is renting a bertil roos car at one of their weekend races and renting another car for another weekend. I am also thinking of selling my 997 to upgrade to a newer cayman for DE's.

I love racing (ask my wife), i am always reading about it, watching it, jumping on the sim when i can. My issue lately is spending 3 days at the track for a few sessions a day. Dont get my wrong i enjoy the company of my competitors but lately i get this feeling that i am wasting time not being with my family (am i finally maturing lol). My son will be driving in a few years, so my plan is to probably rent for a few years and do DE's, if he then shows interest in racing or driving i would go all in again to be with him, If he doesnt i may wait until he is in college to get back on a schedule chasing points and pursuing a dream of racing at the runoffs.

Curious for those that may have stopped racing and just do DE days, are you getting the same satisfaction on track as you did when competing?

This thread makes me fee a little better seeing i am not the only one who has been thinking about this and it is normal.
seriously check out aer. 9hrs of racing each day!
Seats go from $2k-$3k on avg 3x 1.5hr stints for weekend
Old 05-13-2018, 07:57 PM
josserman
Instructor

The timing of this thread could not have been better. I started off drag racing when i was 18 and did that for 3 years, took a break from racing to get my career and life started, once married i started drag racing again for 3 years, then i went into kart racing for about 5 years, then into my SRF which i sold last year. 2017 was the first year i didnt race anything in a while but i did track days on a SV650. Come this year i wanted to get back on track but after looking at my sons travel hockey schedule and some trips we have planned i figured id have a few solid weekends i could dedicate to racing, so my plan is renting a bertil roos car at one of their weekend races and renting another car for another weekend. I am also thinking of selling my 997 to upgrade to a newer cayman for DE's.

I love racing (ask my wife), i am always reading about it, watching it, jumping on the sim when i can. My issue lately is spending 3 days at the track for a few sessions a day. Dont get my wrong i enjoy the company of my competitors but lately i get this feeling that i am wasting time not being with my family (am i finally maturing lol). My son will be driving in a few years, so my plan is to probably rent for a few years and do DE's, if he then shows interest in racing or driving i would go all in again to be with him, If he doesnt i may wait until he is in college to get back on a schedule chasing points and pursuing a dream of racing at the runoffs.

Curious for those that may have stopped racing and just do DE days, are you getting the same satisfaction on track as you did when competing?

This thread makes me fee a little better seeing i am not the only one who has been thinking about this and it is normal.
Originally Posted by uscarrera
Racing is hard work, often frustrating, often disappointing, often expensive, questions your sanity and skills, and I love every moment of it. We all have a timeline of life each decision has to be the right one for where you are on that timeline but remember the timeline has an end so do what you love when you love it and never leave regrets behind.
Remember the words of that English poet:

A life is not measured in the years of existence but in the moments of living.”

Rich
Love this!!
Old 05-13-2018, 08:01 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman

Did a shake down today and omfg I forgot how amazing it feels to be out on the track in my race car. Literally can’t wait for next weekends endurance race. almost 2yrs since I’ve been in the car. Shook off the cob webs after one session. Car ran amazing too! Had one issue but easy to fix before next weekend. Trailers pretty much set too now.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:14 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

seriously check out aer. 9hrs of racing each day!
Seats go from $2k-$3k on avg 3x 1.5hr stints for weekend
Thanks i have been speaking with one team and interested in others if you have any suggestions. Seems like a great deal.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:18 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

good deal, weird the photos were not showing up before good luck
Old 05-13-2018, 08:41 PM
josserman
Instructor

Thanks i have been speaking with one team and interested in others if you have any suggestions. Seems like a great deal.
I’m renting seats but filled for njmp and taking a few month off aprepo to thread, want to take my time to make a few changes to car. So may have seats ope. For summit and mid o.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:49 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I used to manage my stuff, load, unload, change tires and brake pads, etc.
Totally drained at end of weekends. Days to recover after.
Was not having enough fun.
I noticed some guys just showed up and drove. Had full support including transport. Asked about cost. Holy crap!
So I do a hybrid approach. I found a guy. He does logistics, loading, transport. But truck/trailer is mine. My guy does tires, brakes, pressures, radio, etc. He manages everything but mechanical triage at the track. Have a shop for that.
Still costs a lot. Not as much as "full support" but still significant...
Is it worth it? Heck yes it is. I get to do the fun parts. Race and hang with racing pals.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:12 PM
josserman
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3DE
I used to manage my stuff, load, unload, change tires and brake pads, etc.
Totally drained at end of weekends. Days to recover after.
Was not having enough fun.
I noticed some guys just showed up and drove. Had full support including transport. Asked about cost. Holy crap!
So I do a hybrid approach. I found a guy. He does logistics, loading, transport. But truck/trailer is mine. My guy does tires, brakes, pressures, radio, etc. He manages everything but mechanical triage at the track. Have a shop for that.
Still costs a lot. Not as much as "full support" but still significant...
Is it worth it? Heck yes it is. I get to do the fun parts. Race and hang with racing pals.
yes I always have had similar support but one guy who was great moved, the other guy started working at a race shop and is too busy. Have another guy I’m trying out now, but so far haven’t been overly impressed. Not looking to pay the $1000 weekend support ticket, more guys who are capable and are $20-$30 and hour. For serious stuff I have a shop. I can also do a fair amount or at least guide someone with decent mechanical skills.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:58 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

If you have to think too much about money, racing is probably not worth it. The friendship and camaraderie at the track on race weekends is priceless though!!
Old 05-14-2018, 07:48 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
If you have to think too much about money, racing is probably not worth it. The friendship and camaraderie at the track on race weekends is priceless though!!
That's ridiculous. So only the rich should race?
Old 05-14-2018, 08:17 AM
josserman
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3DE
That's ridiculous. So only the rich should race?
I used to race with NASA, we’d have a full range of guys from GTS4 guys showing up to the track with their mechanics delivering the car and doing full support, fresh tires every race to guys with Civis/integras camping out running tires with 20 heat cycles on them. Without crazy damage or failures race weekends can be done for under $1000 or over $5000.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:30 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

A few years ago, we were dealing with a shop that kept screwing up our engine build. I blame myself for sticking with him so long, but he was a friend and I thought he'd figure it out. But time after time we'd go to the track and get 1 1/2 laps and the engine would eat a bearing or just completely blow up. With all the work getting the car together, loading up, trailering to the track, logistics, fuel, tires, etc...cost and time/effort was starting to really wear on us because we were NOT getting the fun part at the track. 3 years of this... Last conversation I had with him when the crank pulley backed out and ruined the set pin/pulley and crank right after he rebuilt it was " Why do you always blame this on me? I'm sick of your f*@king car and I'm sick of you". That was 2015. The discussion (or yelling match between me and Nadine) of selling it all and getting out of track stuff completely was real this time. Each other time I would convince her we'd fix it. This time...I was done. She yelled (we don't fight hardly ever...this was a doozy). I sat and listened...this time thinking "she's right, we're done". Put the cover on the car and let it sit for 6 months.

Then we went to Rennsport Reunion and hung out with Peter Dawe a bit. He knew of the issues we were going through (he was at the track a few times at races and tried to help out when our mechanic was nowhere to be found). He said "bring it to me, let me look at it. This is supposed to be fun. You enjoy the car, you enjoy driving...just because one particular person can't do his job is no reason to give up the fun you SHOULD be having"

Fast forward to 2016 after the car was at Dawes' Motorsports for a year (and the constant "everything I touch in this engine is done wrong" texts and calls I'd get from Peter and Trevor!!!) and we were back on track. After some tweaking and set up, the car runs perfect. Yes its still a hassle and very expensive to prep the car, load it, get everything together for the weekend, trailer, handle issues at the track, load it to come home, unload at home, bring trailer back to storage, etc. etc. etc....but all the fun we have on the weekend with the car, with each other (Nadine drives too) with our friends and competitors...its worth the effort. Heck, that's why we started NaroEscape Motorsports to begin with. We both love being at the track and being around that atmosphere. Nadine loves doing data analysis and driver coaching - probably more than she likes driving. I love to drive.

Yes it's a hassle and yes it can be frustrating and yes it can wear you out sometimes. But as long as the time AT the track is fun...the hassle all seems worth it...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Quick Reply: Getting fed up with racing -too much time and money...