Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 C2S vs Alfa Romeo 4C question....

Old 05-15-2018, 11:38 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the input everyone.

One thing that is becoming important to my decision is how much the Porsche depreciates due to mileage. I drive my car so it ads up. A less expensive high performance car with lower operating costs is very appealing.

The needle is leaning toward the 4C!
Old 05-15-2018, 11:42 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir5n
Thanks for all the input everyone.

One thing that is becoming important to my decision is how much the Porsche depreciates due to mileage. I drive my car so it ads up. A less expensive high performance car with lower operating costs is very appealing.

The needle is leaning toward the 4C!
I quickly found three 2015 4C's in the low 40's so I think Paolo has the right outlook IF you can find one set up the way you want. One of them I found had pretty much every option available with around 10k miles, assuming a $75K+ cost new I would say they are not holding value very well also...
Old 05-15-2018, 11:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I quickly found three 2015 4C's in the low 40's so I think Paolo has the right outlook IF you can find one set up the way you want. One of them I found had pretty much every option available with around 10k miles, assuming a $75K+ cost new I would say they are not holding value very well also...
None of these things hold value very well, it's a matter of how fast the initial depreciation occurs. Alfa=early, Porsche=late.

Since most of the Launch Editions of the 4C had the Track Pack on them (wheels, tires, exhaust, stiffer suspension), Paolo should be in good shape, assuming he has the patience to wait for what he wants. They're out there. Just like Porsches...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-15-2018, 11:54 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the 4 year warranty. Used cars are a question mark for me. Looked at one and it was 68K CAD with 15k on the odometer. Sure that’s not the final price but to replace the CPO 911 for 110 to 145K and lose 40% plus is more expensive.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:54 AM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't speak to how either drive as I never drove the Alfa, but I used to be completely enamored with it. I didn't buy one mostly because at that point they were still too expensive, but after I did some reading and spent some time on a couple alfa forums the desire faded. If it will be primarily a fun track toy some of these things may not matter to you, but the lack of usability, and budget interior were pretty high for me. The build quality seemed to be poor and there was a lot of people having various issues, coupled with the (at the time) small dealer presence it made warranty work a chore.

Paint quality was universally maligned as was road comfort. Common complaint was that the CF tub acted like a drum, so any stones or whathaveyou that hit the bottom of the floor would resonate throughout the cabin.

There was also a lot of flip-flopping from Alfa regarding the availability of options. I really wanted a Spider and when it launched they promised late availability of both a CF hardtop and a factory Akrapovic exhaust. Neither of which ever materialized.
(Update: the Akropovic did end up coming out, but it was still very, very late.)

Additionally, at the time, there was not a lot of options for sticky tires in the the right sizes, and the staggered (17/18 or 18/19) wheels made it even more difficult.
A lot of observations made me very hesitant about owning one and ultimately forced me to stop looking at them through such rose colored glasses. I still think they're an awesome "baby supercar" though.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Sounds from road debris and tire worms bouncing off the carbon fiber tub... sounds like a race car to me!

I agree, it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s an amazing engineering and manufacturing exercise.

Those “options” you speak of like the exhaust were never promised or even hinted of by Alfa, but they were internet and ill-informed dealer rumors for awhile.

Like it or not, the 4C is a very good value right now.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:25 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I have no feedback nor knowledge about the 4C. But I have been thinking about getting one as a convertible for the weekend and for those low budget trackdays where I am reluctant to take the GT3. So I am subscribing to this topic :-)
(I've been looking at Lotus too, but I'm afraid there is an even smaller market for those when you want to get rid of it)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:52 PM
BillNye
Racer

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Sounds from road debris and tire worms bouncing off the carbon fiber tub... sounds like a race car to me!

I agree, it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s an amazing engineering and manufacturing exercise.

Those “options” you speak of like the exhaust were never promised or even hinted of by Alfa, but they were internet and ill-informed dealer rumors for awhile.

Like it or not, the 4C is a very good value right now.
Yea, it's certainly a polarizing cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, I like the, it just wasn't a viable option for me at the time.

Those options were promised by Alfa. See: http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/new...=16270&mid=488
It was this sort of thing that did not give me the warm fuzzies about Alfa's return to the US.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BillNye
Yea, it's certainly a polarizing cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, I like the, it just wasn't a viable option for me at the time.

Those options were promised by Alfa. See: http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/new...=16270&mid=488
It was this sort of thing that did not give me the warm fuzzies about Alfa's return to the US.
Understand. Car companies do this all the time.

I see reference to the Akripovic (although that was never mentioned by any of the dealers I spoke to or on the test drives at the track) but the carbon roof for the Spider? All I ever saw was the fabric folding roof. The carbon roof would have had to be left at home! Nowhere to put it!
Old 05-18-2018, 10:25 PM
BillNye
Racer

I see reference to the Akripovic (although that was never mentioned by any of the dealers I spoke to or on the test drives at the track) but the carbon roof for the Spider? All I ever saw was the fabric folding roof. The carbon roof would have had to be left at home! Nowhere to put it!
That was the joke. Probably why they scrapped the hardtop altogether. There was barely even room for the cloth top.
At Launch the exhaust was supposed to be unique to the spider, for some reason.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:26 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I think I heard one with the Akripovic drive through the center of the city last week, assume he had the valves set open (if it is the same "open at higher RPM" type system Ferrari uses) as it was too loud and not particularly a good sound... more like a bees nest on steroids.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:15 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The more I think about it ........ the more I see a 4C in my future...... it would make a perfect track car and week-end toy...... especially if the prices dip a bit more.......
Winter will be here before you know it and that is the perfect time to buy one of these......
Old 05-19-2018, 10:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

$43K, Track pack, grey, 7K miles. No affiliation: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...elCode1=ALFA4C

If I hadn't just bought a Tahoe RST, I'd think about it myself!
Old 05-20-2018, 08:42 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Paolo only buys red Alpha's...
Old 05-20-2018, 12:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Paolo only buys red Alpha's...
A-L-P-H-A? Gary, that’s a hanging offense in Italia!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 C2S vs Alfa Romeo 4C question....