Sponsored by:

PCA DE Events Near San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 02:02 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default PCA DE Events Near San Francisco

I have been looking online for schedules of PCA DE events near San Francisco, but it seems like there are no events scheduled in June or beyond? Is that possible or am I missing something?

I will soon be moving from NY to the Bay Area, and I would like to plan out a couple weekends this year to drive some of the tracks out there (including Laguna Seca - which is a track I’ve wanted to drive for a very long time). I’ve really enjoyed PCA events in the Northeast, so that seemed like a natural place to start.

If PCA is not doing events, which other clubs are recommended? HOD, NASA, SpeedSF?

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2018, 10:27 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

You may have already seen these:

Diablo region's calendar: http://www.diablo-de.org/events.html
Golden Gate region's calendar: http://pca-ggr.org/calendar/action~a...t_format~html/
Next is Buttonwillow, then Laguna in July.

Just my opinions on the other options:
HOD is excellent. They're very professional.
I've also had good luck with NCRC and SpeedSF recently. NASA is a different animal. Stay away from OnGrid.

Almost forgot - check out Exclusive Track Days. It's a ton of track time, with some interesting formats.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:58 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

The last time I saw a message like this in this Forum I got to make a new friend. He has moved back East and is missed.

Anyway, please feel free to ping me. I live in Fremont and have been here since 1991.

Joined the PCA in 1987 back East-- Schattenbaum. My first PCA event was a meeting-- Bob Akin was the guest speaker. My second PCA event was a DE at LRP.

I know almost all of the clubs (PCA regions and others) and enterprises offering DE events, and have a very extensive network.

If you'd like to connect, please send me a PM.

- Mike
Old 05-02-2018, 02:00 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Oh, and if you are coming soon, please don't forget RR at Laguna in late September, and a month later "Porsches at the Point."
Old 05-02-2018, 02:20 PM
KMW
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden

Golden Gate region's calendar: http://pca-ggr.org/calendar/action~a...t_format~html/

I've also had good luck with NCRC and SpeedSF recently. NASA is a different animal. Stay away from OnGrid.

Almost forgot - check out Exclusive Track Days. It's a ton of track time, with some interesting formats.
Good info, PM sent. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:53 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
The last time I saw a message like this in this Forum I got to make a new friend. He has moved back East and is missed.

Anyway, please feel free to ping me. I live in Fremont and have been here since 1991.

Joined the PCA in 1987 back East-- Schattenbaum. My first PCA event was a meeting-- Bob Akin was the guest speaker. My second PCA event was a DE at LRP.

I know almost all of the clubs (PCA regions and others) and enterprises offering DE events, and have a very extensive network.

- Mike
Originally Posted by white924s
I have been looking online for schedules of PCA DE events near San Francisco, but it seems like there are no events scheduled in June or beyond? Is that possible or am I missing something?

I will soon be moving from NY to the Bay Area, and I would like to plan out a couple weekends this year to drive some of the tracks out there (including Laguna Seca - which is a track I’ve wanted to drive for a very long time). I’ve really enjoyed PCA events in the Northeast, so that seemed like a natural place to start.

If PCA is not doing events, which other clubs are recommended? HOD, NASA, SpeedSF?

Thanks!
Hey Guys!
Safely back east and finally enjoying the weather. Not sure what they call this wet stuff falling from the sky, but...
Anyway OP, if Mike offers the tour - take him up on it. He's a real good guy and a great friend. You can certainly benefit from his contacts and endless knowledge. Good luck!
Old 05-02-2018, 07:20 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

I also suggest you look at motorsportreg.com for schedules of many other track groups in that area.
PCA, BMW, HOD, NASA, and many others usually shown. Not all PCA groups on this though.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:14 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden

Thanks for the heads up on the PCA region sites - I will try to sign up for Laguna, and I’ll check out the schedule for HOD. Thanks for the color on the others, too.

Originally Posted by Mahler9th

- Mike
Hi Mike - thanks for the offer, I will send you a PM and look forward to connecting.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:06 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Cool.

If Laguna is going to be your first Bay Area track experience, I highly recommend the PCA-GGR as a first target. We have the best history for pcar folks in terms of learning, safety and fun. My first time at Laguna was in 1995 at a GGR event. That weekend, one our local PCA members hosted the Saturday night party at his ranch right next to the track. His family owns a lot of land around the track. It was epic. For dessert we had huge, fresh chocolate covered strawberries. His son, then in elementary school, is now a pro racer and coach. He ran the program at Skip Barber for a time. He could be an excellent choice as a coach if you partake of those kinds of services.

My second choice for an early experience at Laguna would be HOD. The founder/creator/owner of HOD has been around a long time, and runs terrific events. I have known him/them since HOD started and have driven and instructed with them many times.

Trackmasters and NCRC are also very good. I have known the founders/owners of each since they started, and have driven and instructed with them many times as well.

The POC have an annual event at Laguna, and DE is a part of that. Also very good.

Thunderhill is also an excellent Bay Area venue which should be considered for your early experiences. Just be aware that it gets really hot there in the Summer.

And of course Sears Point is also an excellent venue and one of the most technically challenging tracks in the world. I always advise getting Thunderhill and/or Laguna seat time as early area experiences for those with modest DE and/or racing experience. Sears Point can be less unforgiving than Laguna and Thunderhill.

The group I helped form, and with which I race, the Porsche Racing Club, will be at Sears Point under NASA sanction two weekends from now. If you are going to be in the area, I encourage you to come out and meet folks and watch the racing.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:05 PM
wgn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Side note: the previous post meant that Sears Point is [i]MORE unforgiving than Laguna or Thunderhill. It's a really fun, technical track, but one with lots of walls to hit if things go sideways.

As with a lot of the Nor Cal locals, I've had good experience with PCA, HOD, Trackmasters, NCRC, ... and pretty much agree with the recommendations above. I currently club race with both PCA and Checkered Flag Racing, and would add Checkered Flag to the "suggestion list" for local events.

CFRA (Checkered Flag Racing) is a small, local club that does events at Sears Point, Laguna, and Thunderhill. Typically ~6 events per year (2 DE groups and one race group), plus a couple of social events. You can check out CFRA.net, or PM me if you'd like any more info on this or other local clubs.

You will love the area for access to great tracks....

Cheers,
Walter
Old 05-04-2018, 03:54 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for adding that to the list. I have been a member of and run with CFRA as well. Great folks... outstanding really. Quite a few active CFRA racers are pcar folks, and it is really a family-oriented group. They are close knit-- they did something very special for one of my pcar racing friends that passed away last year. I was not there, but heard about it through the person that bought his race car before he died. I have been helping that new owner quite a bit since last Fall as he is new to Porsches.

Should also note that there are quite a few private invite groups that have events-- primarliy at Thunderhill. I can connect you with some of them as well.

MotorsportsReg is a great resource. Ghidinelli is part of the network. Accomplished, talented and has helped me out in the past.

You are coming to an enthusiast-rich environment!
Old 06-11-2018, 09:26 AM
Manda Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

July 2nd on a Monday at Laguna Seca for $250 sounds like fun.

Also— July 7th and 8th at Sonoma coming up.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:02 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

White924s and I have met, and are doing some networking. Turns out that we both became interested in motorsport at the same place, but not at the same time. Lots in common-- same college/engineering education. Haven't asked him yet if his generation had to read Paradise Lost in English 5-- very likely so. Think Animal House... lol. Bob Varsha also attended, though a few years before I did.

Small world.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:48 PM
911ted
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

How about the Thunderhill DE/Club Race event with GGR on 9-8/9 ????
No sound restrictions, correct?
Old 06-12-2018, 04:53 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by white924s

Thanks!

As written above, www.motorsportreg.com **is** in my opinion the best solution to check AND register for trackdays.

My recommendations :

Forget about pca : too crowded, too many groups, small track time (except if you are happy with 4 sessions per day !).

I recommend the Lotus Golden Gate Club, beside being very nice people, very open (Porsche always welcome), AND normally run in 3 groups, i.e.: 7 sessions of 20 minutes, ..or low wait (lost) time.

I also recommend the Nor Cal Shelby Club, these are real nice people, track days with them are great.
The only group that I know off, where one of the member would show up with a trailer ..that is a huge barbecue where the participants do a first class get together after the last track session. Great cars, great humans. (Normally also 3 groups/7 sessions organizer)

And,
I also highly recommend Exclusive Track Days, very nice people, very fast and talented drivers (many very fast GT3 drivers), would say: high end, a real pleasure to have track days with them. (Also 3 groups with limited amount of cars per group, 7 sessions of 20 mins / days.)
The **real** driver track days.

Trackmasters and Speed Ventures are also great organizers.
Nasa (National Auto Sport Association) are also very nice people, but normally too many groups, ..and 4 sessions per day : no fun)

..The two cents of a foreigner, that loves Laguna Seca. (More than 1,300 driven miles there !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 06-15-2018 at 03:20 AM.

Quick Reply: PCA DE Events Near San Francisco