Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding max speed. How you know the limit without crashing ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 10:34 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Finding max speed. How you know the limit without crashing ?

Let's say you braking too hard, and taking turns too slowly.
How would you really know this?
One hint is that the tires may not be scrubbing and audible.

But, in general, how does one know he could be going faster?
At some point, you try going faster. If you don't crash, you were right, you could have gone faster.
But, if you crash, you were wrong, you actually were going fast enough.

Last edited by sugarwood; 04-29-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:05 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

You can feel when you are generating slip angle in the tires.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:31 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

I just couldn't resist
Old 04-29-2018, 10:09 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Skidpads can help you understand grip and practicing late or threshold braking in an area where there is good runoff if another way.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:17 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

This was recommended to me by a great coach a while back. It's helped me tremendously.

Find a good safe corner with good visibility and plenty of track after the apex.

1) Start a slow pace - one where you can easily get to full power at apex.
2) Slowly increase entry speed by adjusting a single variable, brake pressure, prior to the turn. No need to change start of braking or end of braking points yet. I tell myself, "next lap brake at a pressure of 6 out of 10", then "5 out of 10", and so on.
3) Decrease brake pressure until you can no longer get to the apex, or no longer get to full power at apex. This should be your new "normal" entry speed.
4) Fine tune your braking points, steering input, after you've recalibrated your brain for this new corner entry speed. Try to make the new speed stick with smooth inputs.

This simple approach helped me build a lot of speed in high speed corners.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:20 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

OP can you post a video so that we can better gauge where you're at. It will help with response.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:21 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mpruden
This was recommended to me by a great coach a while back. It's helped me tremendously.

Find a good safe corner with good visibility and plenty of track after the apex.

1) Start a slow pace - one where you can easily get to full power at apex.
2) Slowly increase entry speed by adjusting a single variable, brake pressure, prior to the turn. No need to change start of braking or end of braking points yet. I tell myself, "next lap brake at a pressure of 6 out of 10", then "5 out of 10", and so on.
3) Decrease brake pressure until you can no longer get to the apex, or no longer get to full power at apex. This should be your new "normal" entry speed.
4) Fine tune your braking points, steering input, after you've recalibrated your brain for this new corner entry speed. Try to make the new speed stick with smooth inputs.

This simple approach helped me build a lot of speed in high speed corners.
I want to try this at the DE at Watkins Glen in May, on turn 2.

I see data display from many drivers that not only do they not brake at all, by only lift just a hair.

That sight turn has a lot of skid marks on the outside, I am guessing from too hot coming in.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:15 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr

I see data display from many drivers that not only do they not brake at all, by only lift just a hair.

That sight turn has a lot of skid marks on the outside, I am guessing from too hot coming in.
That's a very fast corner with lots of positive camber - not the best place. Pick a corner that's flat and slower, with lots of space for spins. Work up to faster corners.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:18 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Consider limiting your experimenting at WGI to Turns 8 and 9, a couple of slower turns with some runoff (relative to the runoff elsewhere).
Old 04-29-2018, 02:00 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jabs and Morsini

After your comments that makes more sense.

My initial thought was that the turn was less than 45 degrees and apex going up hill, it might be easier there. But, now I see it as, the speed that can be carried through that corner might be above my pay grade right now.

Maybe on second day I will ask my instructor to demonstrate the technique of that corner, but not at 10/10
Old 04-29-2018, 04:03 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542

Consider limiting your experimenting at WGI to Turns 8 and 9, a couple of slower turns with some runoff (relative to the runoff elsewhere).
At the exit of T9 the guard rail is about 3 feet from the track--I wouldn't practice there. T10 is better if you go off as long as you don't try to horse the car back on track--just go off straight. It's all paved.

Re T2 (entry to Esses): Don't know what you drive or your experience level but in my low-hp fwd car the entry is taken flat out (as is T10). The mountain you're going up will sap some of your speed Of course, much of that depends on how well you get through T1 which is the most important turn on that track. Again, in my car it's flat from T1 exit until the entry to the Bus Stop. And, as stated, by all means go out with an instructor who can show you.

Gary

Last edited by gbuff; 04-29-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:40 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbuff
At the exit of T9 the guard rail is about 3 feet from the track--I wouldn't practice there. T10 is better if you go off as long as you don't try to horse the car back on track--just go off straight. It's all paved.

Re T2 (entry to Esses): Don't know what you drive or your experience level but in my low-hp fwd car the entry is taken flat out (as is T10). The mountain you're going up will sap much of your speed Of course, much of that depends on how well you get through T1 which is the most important turn on that track. Again, in my car it's flat from T1 exit until the entry to the Bus Stop. And, as stated, by all means go out with an instructor who can show you.

Gary
Gary,
I was thinking the same thing about turn 9.
My car is a 996 modified 3.6L C2 Aero , dyno @ 300 rwhp, tires are Sumitomo HTR Z III, Suspension is complete Techart. I am in yellow group.
I am not busting you, (maybe a little), but your description of coming down into turn 2, first thing I thought of was the video, "I RUN FLAT OUT",
I am inconsistent and slow coming out of turn 9, due to skill level, but I can motor through 10 & 11 pretty well.
This thread is interesting to me because my last DE at WGI, a 996 turbo that I was following and getting ready to pass after turn 7 (toe of boot), came into turn 7 too hot, and was way out of the line on the top of turn, I thought for sure he was going to spin, but he saved it.
On to the laces, I come out of turn 6, slow, but can accelerate to about 100, before braking into turn 7. So the turbo was pulling away from me while I was braking for 7.
So I am thinking the driver found the max speed of either himself or the car, I am thinking driver.
David
Old 04-29-2018, 05:01 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Gary,
I was thinking the same thing about turn 9.
My car is a 996 modified 3.6L C2 Aero , dyno @ 300 rwhp, tires are Sumitomo HTR Z III, Suspension is complete Techart. I am in yellow group.
I am not busting you, (maybe a little), but your description of coming down into turn 2, first thing I thought of was the video, "I RUN FLAT OUT",

David
Hah! Don't apologize for FLAT OUT--I thought the exact same thing.....there was actually a thread about that awhile back.

Anyway, you have a fast, prepared car and modest experience--IMO spend no more on the car (unless it's safety-related). Get as much seat time and as many instructor rides as you can (OP--you too. You become comfortable at "the limit" with experience and quality coaching).

Gary
....still high from setting a new PB at Mid-O Friday
Old 04-29-2018, 06:04 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

T2 is flat in nearly every car, but it takes skill and courage
Old 04-29-2018, 06:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,854 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
T2 is flat in nearly every car, but it takes skill and courage
You need to drive more cars, then...

While T2 is flat for MOST cars, there are variations in exit speed, speed of upshifts and a whole variety of variables leading up to the entry of T2 that affect this.

T3, that's another thread...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Finding max speed. How you know the limit without crashing ?