Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing mirror options for car with no rollbar on which to mount it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 03:48 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Racing mirror options for car with no rollbar on which to mount it?

I track a 2000 Boxster and my rearview mirror fell off on the way to an event at Roebling. I was able to rig up a little stick on solution but it was not optimal. Rather that get a replacement stock mirror, I would like to upgrade to a larger wide mirror, but all of the ones I have seen have roll bar mounting attachments.

I am wondering if I could put 1 of these (or 2 if needed):

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-378U

And then somehow mount a Ram attachment to the back of the replacement mirror?

Any ideas on mounting a replacement wide view racing style mirror directly to the windshield? There isn't really much above it where I could mount something directly to the car.

Thanks

Steve
Old 04-23-2018, 03:56 PM
steved0x
Pro

Edit: this is terribly embarrassing, how did I fail to find "Wink windshield mounting kit" in my searching *before* making this post.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...SABEgLvqfD_BwE

That said, anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Steve
Old 04-23-2018, 06:17 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

Check out allview mirrors. Convex without distortion.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:19 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

http://www.allviewmirror.com/model1750.htm

You want model 1750
Old 04-25-2018, 11:36 PM
steved0x
Pro

Originally Posted by mglobe
Checking it, thank you.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:34 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 117 Posts

Interesting. This mounts to the windshield same as the stock mirror?

Curious to hear from others on this specific product.

I am trying to solve for two things:

- restricted view due to a GT3 RS spoiler; and
- because I sit fairly high in the car (more torso than legs), I find the stock mirror placement too low and somewhat in my field of vision. Maybe can simply be mounted an inch or two higher - not sure there is room though?

Cheers

Matt
Old 04-26-2018, 09:24 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

It clips over the existing stock mirror. I've used one before with good luck. The benefit of this one over a rollbar mounted one, is the ease of adjustments.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:40 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
It clips over the existing stock mirror. I've used one before with good luck. The benefit of this one over a rollbar mounted one, is the ease of adjustments.
The model 1750 comes with a windshield mount that you glue to the windshield just like a stock mirror. It doesn't clip to the existing one. I had one in my SP996 years ago, and was happy with it. IIRC, the field of vision is not as wide as the Longacre mirrors, but there isn't as much distortion.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:42 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's the AllView I was referring to::

http://www.allviewmirror.com/smart-clip.htm
Old 04-27-2018, 03:57 PM
steved0x
Pro

The model 1750 comes with a windshield mount that you glue to the windshield just like a stock mirror. It doesn't clip to the existing one. I had one in my SP996 years ago, and was happy with it. IIRC, the field of vision is not as wide as the Longacre mirrors, but there isn't as much distortion.
From looking at the picture, the arm on the 1750 is quite a bit longer than the OEM mirror mount arm, which is only like 1", I was afraid it would push the mirror too far back away from the windshield. I ordered the clip on version and am going to mount it with a RAM mount until I get the position figured, then I'm going to use a permanent adhesive Ram mount base to mount it.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:31 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
Here's the AllView I was referring to::

http://www.allviewmirror.com/smart-clip.htm
Does anyone use this clipon with a 996?
Is this appropriate for occasional DE use?
David
Old 05-03-2018, 01:40 PM
steved0x
Pro

The mirror came in, it was very nice, I didn't get the 1750 but the other one that is clip on, it is a little smaller, and in addition to the clips has a threaded insert in the back that fit a Ram Mount ball that was threaded with a standard tripod thread (1/4-20).

However - it isn't going to work for me for the following reasons:
  • The view I get is a view that is 1/3 driver seat, 1/3 rear window that is smaller than the stock mirror, and 1/3 passenger seat. Because the windshield is so close, the mirror isn't far enough forward to show anything out the side.
  • The view that I do get, the objects are much smaller than in the OEM mirror. If I'm not getting the benefits of the extra wide view, I don't want to deal with this.
  • If I could somehow mount this mirror flush to the windshield, and maybe if my Recaro seats weren't so tall, I would get some of the benefits of the extra wide view.
I ordered a cheap Broadway 240mm wide flat mirror that should provide a view the same size as the OEM mirror, that I can mount using Ram mounts and VHB, that should give me a good view. In the Boxster at least, the OEM mirror seems to be just right, and the next time I have to get a new windshield, I'll get a new OEM mirror to go with it. It will get here tomorrow and I'll try it out.

I would try and pop the OEM mirror back onto the little ball, but I am afraid I would break the windshield to the point where I would have to get a replacement immediately.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:24 PM
CrookedCommie
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a similar thing - mounted a ram mount to a convex wide mirror, and used a rectangular 1"x2" or similar ram base. I've tried 3m VHT tape (that fell off), then epoxy (that fell off), now I'm trying out Permatex rearview mirror adhesive. GL!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:01 PM
steved0x
Pro

Originally Posted by CrookedCommie
I did a similar thing - mounted a ram mount to a convex wide mirror, and used a rectangular 1"x2" or similar ram base. I've tried 3m VHT tape (that fell off), then epoxy (that fell off), now I'm trying out Permatex rearview mirror adhesive. GL!
Depending on how light the mirror is, I may do some drilling or some zip ties or something - the VHB is good but it can get awfully hot at the back of the mirror on a hot day in the sun... If it falls off I'll come back here to check how the Permatex worked

On the windshield side, I am going to use this as my base:
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-378U

Then on the mirror side I am going to use this with VHB:
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-238U
Old 05-03-2018, 05:08 PM
CrookedCommie
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might have been helpful if I included a picture. I'll let you know how the Permatex works!

Quick Reply: Racing mirror options for car with no rollbar on which to mount it?